Wind and antelope

Zbot

WKR
How much does the wind affect antelope and what point is it not worth while to go after them. Let’s say 10-15 MPH compared to 20-30 MPH.

robie

WKR
In my opinion it just makes them a little spookier. The comfort range goes from a couple hundred yards to maybe double that.

boutdoors

FNG
Wind does make them a bit spookier, but if their sitting on a pivot they won't move unless you push them out

Jimss

WKR
Antelope can be a little tougher to locate when it's super windy. They are usually a little further down in draws and out of the wind. It may take a little more hiking to locate them rather than merely driving down roads and glassing. I've never quit antelope hunting if it's "to windy". If that was the case you would likely have very few days to hunt antelope in Wyo!

kda082

WKR
Are they as "nosey" as whitetail as in do they rely on sense of smell? Such a wide open space animal I wouldn't think they'd have too many predators.

Jimss

WKR
Antelope have excellent noses so keep wind direction in mind on stalks! Not sure if antelope noses are as good as whitetails but they have excellent noses. Their eye-sight is totally awesome and they have great hearing as well. They can run pretty fast from the moment they are born!

Rich M

WKR
The only thing I worry about with the wind is the shot.

Haven't noticed that they pay much attention to their noses - more of a visual thing. When i was preppinig for my first trip, a bunch of guys said to shoot downwind so I didn't get a face full of gun exhaust.

JWP58

WKR
I was out today with 30mph gusts. Got to within 350 of a herd of about 10. F'ed up my dope and went right over her back. .7mils was a no-go...dope chart said .5......she must've been living right. It wasn't her time.

In my opinion antelope, at least in Wyoming, are born and raised in the wind. Their primary defense is eye sight and speed. I haven't noticed any difference in the wind. They are an incredible animal with amazing eye sight.