Wolf Facts?

mtmuley

WKR
mflood, take OFF the tinfoil hat and get your ass to Montana. You can kill five of them here. Seasons are on in Idaho and Wyoming too. Do your part to keep your guns man. Ryan, reach out to Randy. You'll get the truth and not a bunch of bar stool or Internet bullshit. mtmuley

I will get a wolf tag when I hit Id next year.
I think they need to be removed myself.
Many of the locals here are totally anti wolf, as are most of us hunters.

The elk don't need wolves, when there are Mtn lions, coyotes, winter kill, and hunting.

Id love to come to Montana and kill wolves.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
All I know is these little land sharks eat elk and waste elk...there was a reason poison was used to get rid of them. A big mistake was made bringing them back and in areas of heavy timber they are extremely difficult to get a chance at. I keep waiting for my turn and am out alot and am still waiting. A recent post on Instagram in my woods. A year long open season needs to be put in place to control these big rodents.

Attachments

• 4DBE8D13-CF17-425B-9AFF-941E5E086434.jpg
    4DBE8D13-CF17-425B-9AFF-941E5E086434.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 145
All I know is these little land sharks eat elk and waste elk...there was a reason poison was used to get rid of them. A big mistake was made bringing them back and in areas of heavy timber they are extremely difficult to get a chance at. I keep waiting for my turn and am out alot and am still waiting. A recent post on Instagram in my woods. A year long open season needs to be put in place to control these big rodents.

Agreed
Another predator like wolves aren't needed when there are already so many things going against the elk and deer. Wolves don't bring a dime to the economy, us hunters do.
Here in Ut they pay a bounty for coyotes, I wish they would for wolves as well. Too many predators.

Lawnboi

WKR
I can't help you on anymore literature. But

I'm waiting patiently for season to open back up in wi. Wolves are getting bad here too. A lot of the focus is on the west but looks like you guys are doing something right, cause there is at least there option to manage them by hunting.

Wolves are tearing stuff apart here. I don't care at all for being stalked, in areas I often trail run or bike. It's bordering on ridiculous.

Let a few go in the cities, see how people like them following their kids to school or surrounding them while they are out getting excercise. I'm anti wolf only because of what i see them doing, and all this in very close proximity to where I live.

I thought I read you can get 5 tags for like $19 ?
Why would you short me one?
:)
One wolf could mean another elk or deer a week gone....

I may buy land there just so I can shoot up to 100 a year

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anybody interested on how to kill wolves check out Sterling Extreme Outdoors on youtube he is a wolf killing machine with videos very well done👍👊

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
Non Native Wolves Illegally Introduced, Says Whistleblower - Montana Pioneer

Another example of the federal government illegally doing what they want. I've heard this man speak on Montana Talk Radio. He appears to be the real deal.

Common sense would say if something is extinct then how could you reintroduce it as a species.

If you want the true numbers & damage wolves have done to Montana elk, research elk numbers in Yellowstone pre-wolf & post-wolf.

It amazes me the number of people who post about a controversial subject like this with no basis what so ever. If elk numbers are increasing in Montana that's great news. When you dig into the facts, there may be more elk in areas like eastern Montana where wolf populations are very low. However, in traditional elk strongholds that are heavy timber & large swaths of public land the numbers have declined.

Check the population trends for the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Check the numbers for the wilderness areas south of Missoula shared with Idaho. Wolves have been killed by ranchers where the terrain is conducive in parts of Montana and elk numbers may be good, but try getting access to hunt these areas.

I spend 100 plus days in the woods in Montana - the wolves have made a serous dent in moose, elk and mature buck populations in many areas of Montana. I know outfitters have gone out of business in idaho & Montana because of the decline in game numbers.

I believe the wolf reintroduction was illegally funded and another non-native species was illegally introduced into Montana. Wolves spread dangerous parasites through fecal matter and parasites not previously found here are now here. There were decisions made at the federal level knowing this would occur and going for it anyway.

I guess if all that is tin hat material I will have to go get mine out.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Not really facts about reintroduction Ryan asked for but Wolves in Salmon Country is an excellent book. It’s more about wolves that have migrated into the NW. it’s written by a tracker so pretty non biased.

slick

WKR

Another example of the federal government illegally doing what they want. I've heard this man speak on Montana Talk Radio. He appears to be the real deal.

Common sense would say if something is extinct then how could you reintroduce it as a species.

If you want the true numbers & damage wolves have done to Montana elk, research elk numbers in Yellowstone pre-wolf & post-wolf.

It amazes me the number of people who post about a controversial subject like this with no basis what so ever. If elk numbers are increasing in Montana that's great news. When you dig into the facts, there may be more elk in areas like eastern Montana where wolf populations are very low. However, in traditional elk strongholds that are heavy timber & large swaths of public land the numbers have declined.

Check the population trends for the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Check the numbers for the wilderness areas south of Missoula shared with Idaho. Wolves have been killed by ranchers where the terrain is conducive in parts of Montana and elk numbers may be good, but try getting access to hunt these areas.

I spend 100 plus days in the woods in Montana - the wolves have made a serous dent in moose, elk and mature buck populations in many areas of Montana. I know outfitters have gone out of business in idaho & Montana because of the decline in game numbers.

I believe the wolf reintroduction was illegally funded and another non-native species was illegally introduced into Montana. Wolves spread dangerous parasites through fecal matter and parasites not previously found here are now here. There were decisions made at the federal level knowing this would occur and going for it anyway.

So what makes the wolves reintroduced into the GYE so different than the wolves that were naturally repopulating the NCDE (Glacier)? I guess I haven't been given enough scientific evidence that there is a significant difference among "timber wolves" and "Canadian wolves". Seems to me if that's your argument then we should have two different sub species in MT? -which are now breeding, so not subspecies??

Have you ever looked into the unsustainable amount of harvest that happened pre-wolf re-introduction and continued into the early 2000s of the Northern Yellowstone herd? (EDIT: cleaned this thought up)

Not saying wolves don't have a dramatic affect on game species which may or may not affect your hunting. but mismanagement for a decade will decrease elk #s more than wolves will.

Edit:
On another thought if what you say is true about PR dollars I don't think I, or any sportsman would agree with the use of those funds, which is a different topic altogether.

Last edited:

Schaaf

WKR

Are wolves to blame for there being 2 brow tined bulls per 100 cows?

Also, if you want people to take you seriously, never cite anything that uses Toby Bridges’ opinion as anything besides a crackpot conspiracy.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know who Toby is nor do I care. I just wanted to introduce Jim Beers into the conversation. His input into the original plot was suppressed by the federal government.

I've been involved in a number of these forum discussions about wolves and other topics. I'm not going to spend hours looking for & citing the perfect source or perfect article because ever one will have some problem the other side will say " Oh that guy sucks".

I have spent hundreds of hours researching the wolf debacle. Based on the lack of monetary figures one can find - hint - cover up - it is clear the federal government doesn't want it known. Jim Beers voice was suppressed for years but he finally came forward publicly and gave very specific evidence that the government spent money from the Pittman- Robertson Act which was not appropriate or legal.

States like Montana, Idaho & Wyoming took money from the feds as well as you & me via licenses to " manage the wolves". A lot like double dipping - we'll take your money for the awesome hunting opportunity while we take the federal money to ruin the hunting. That would be an example of my opinion just to clarify & not muddy the waters.

As I said in the previous post, I have heard Jim Beers speak and I have no reason to doubt him. I spend a ton of time in the woods so I have no reason to doubt what I've seen occur & that of trusted friends.

I have nothing to prove & I can't change what the federal government does. If you can honestly say the decline in the elk herd in Gardner is mismanagement well I can't help you. The numbers are staggering & there is no other herd in Montana that shows those drastic declines from hunting.

I just find it interesting that hunters will argue that wolves don't have a drastic impact on game numbers. There is plenty of data from Alaska & Canada to supplement what we have seen here since the wolf reintroduction. I've talked to several biologists in Idaho about the Frank Church Wilderness Area. There are wide swaths of that area that doesn't have too many elk left.

Was that mismanagement as well? I guess I've made my point. You can discredit Toby & me & whoever else u want. It doesn't change the facts as I see them.

mtmuley

WKR
You see only the facts you choose to. Do some more research. Especially into what Slick mentioned. I don't like wolves, but don't hate them either. I have to deal with them now. No conspiracy, no hybrid killer just wolves. mtmuley

gbflyer

WKR
We have wolves where I live, and moose. I can go outside and at times, I'll hear them one night in 3. The moose have been fairly successful for only being in this area for about 30 years or less. ADF&G has made some pretty decent management calls. The wolves get a few, but not as many as other places. Due to ferocious mommas and the lack of snow here in SE AK, the calves have a fighting chance.

3/4 of a mile SE of us, we have an island. It's 20 square miles in size, roughly. It's part of a wilderness area. There is no access other than a boat. For years it's been excellent habitat for blacktail deer, although tough to hunt. Guess that's why they like(d) it. There would be an occasional black bear swim over, and hunters. It was by no means overrun with deer. About 3-4 years ago, the wolves started swimming to it. It wasn't uncommon to see 7-12 wolves together on the shore. In this time, they have basically wiped out the deer population. Much easier to kill deer in the brush than it is moose in the flats. It is now uncommon to see a deer on the beach.

There are a couple of fellas here that hunt them and one or two more who trap. They take 3-5 a year total. The wolf population is increasing. ADF&G is asking the trappers and hunters, although not officially, to make more effort. There is concern that the moose cannot carry the wolf numbers ahead with the deer grocery store empty. They would rather not stir a ruckus with the antis.

Anyway, those are some facts when wolves live in your back yard.