Would you turn in your tags?

In general...we regret the things we don't do much more than the things we actually do. Even if you aren't 100%, I say go hunt and just pay attention to what your body is telling you...don't push yourself too hard on the hunt. Its good practice for the future when your body's warranty expires later in life.

NV HUNTER

WKR
I have broken my right leg (tib/fib) 3 times . All racing dirt bikes. It cost me 3 hunting seasons. My ankle was too weak. One wrong step and my ankle feels like I will roll it. Stepping on uneven ground is really tough. Trekking poles are a must. The hunting part will not be too bad , but I would try to find someone to pack out the animals, a heavy pack and a bad ankle do not go together very well.

I'd echo some of the same advice as other regarding foregoing the bear hunt and focusing on the elk. What kind of break was it? Did you have any soft tissue damage with ligaments/tendons, etc of a particular grade? Been down that road as I broke my ankle and suffered several significant sprains/tears of my right ankle over the years. Every time, dedicating myself to PT after injury has gotten me right back into the mix. If you can afford it (through insurance?), find a good therapist to go to on a regular basis for a couple weeks. Not only will you benefit from it by getting healthy for the hunt, you will be glad you did later in life!

Even without going to a professional, once your doc clears you, you should start tracing the alphabet with your foot several times a day. Start doing single leg balancing and eventually single leg squats to regain control and strength. Get yourself one of these discs:

http://a.co/8TE2QFo

Use a ski pole, trekking pole, or large dowel to help if need be. But single foot balancing on that disc daily will strengthen those stabilizer muscles that are currently getting weak while wearing your boot.

It seems like you have the time to recover before the hunt arrives, but definitely always follow the guidance of professionals.

Also, as mentioned by others, if you don't already have them: GET TREKKING POLES. Especially to use when you are successful! Given that you will just be on the other side of an ankle injury, the poles will make a difference in getting in and out safely. I carried my first elk last year using a pair and can't imagine doing that again without them. Hope it all works out for you, heal up!

Oregon

WKR
I ruptured my patellar tendon in right knee back in March. Surgery failed. Knee cap is sitting up around my thigh.
Surgery again next week. In full immobilized brace til mid Sept. PT will start around 1 Oct. my every 3rd year mule deer hunt starts the same time.
IF I can drive, I am hunting. IF I can get out of truck and use crutches to get 15’ from truck to glass a bunch of draws that always hold deer, I’m set. Hell, I’ll swallow my pride and road hunt for 10 days. I’ll shoot the first forky that crosses in front of my truck. I don’t care.
Being on the hill, at deer camp, sure in the heck beats hobbling around the house!
I won’t even feel guilty when I shoot one from the truck, wait for buddy to get back and say “fetch” and “don’t forget to bring the heart back”

S.Clancy

WKR
No, I would go hunting. Man has invented things like ankle braces and electrical tape for a reason.