Wyoming Elk Hunt

The particular unit that I'm going to hunt has limited access. Getting ready to leave on a camping/ scouting trip with the wife for 7 days. My question is could you camp in Idaho and hike into wyoming with a rifle during season without any repercussions? Obviously gun wouldn't be loaded until I cross state line into my specific unit, but was wondering if there is anything else I need to be aware of? I usually truck camp, so this would be a big benefit for me to be able to cut out extra miles each day hunting. Any info is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Can't say for sure about idaho and wyoming but New Mexico and Arizona, I had a game warden from Arizona share my glassing knob for a half a day, we were in New Mexico, and he was watching Arizona. He said it was legal to come and go, but that was how a lot of people tried to slip illegal animals out. He was a wealth of information and I wish I would have got his contact information.

bushman

FNG
Got the same thing going on we leave in a couple weeks to check it out for our Archery hunt.

FlyGuy

WKR
I did it in NM/AZ during 2021 archery, but I never even considered the possible legalities of it. As long as it’s public to public, and you only hunt in the unit (state) where you have a tag, then I can’t see it being an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KHNC

WKR
Had a group of guys park in CO and hike into WY one year. They did it daily, but during archery season. The CO season was MZ elk at the time. But these were Flat Bill Bro's carrying cameras and one guy with a bow. Rest were along to model the Sitka Gear and bugle every 100 yrds or so.

Last edited:

SD_hunter

FNG
Interesting idea. I would make sure you have geo tagging turned on for the photos if you are successful and make sure to set a waypoint at the kill site just in case.

LVaughn

FNG
Can't say for sure about idaho and wyoming but New Mexico and Arizona, I had a game warden from Arizona share my glassing knob for a half a day, we were in New Mexico, and he was watching Arizona. He said it was legal to come and go, but that was how a lot of people tried to slip illegal animals out. He was a wealth of information and I wish I would have got his contact information.
Similar situation a few years ago. I had an Oregon elk tag, wanted to use access from Washington. Game Warden said I "should" be good hiking from Washington to the Oregon state line as long as my weapon wasn't loaded. Call the game warden.

You might consider the rules/regs about transporting brain/spinal material across state lines, too. May need to take a method of removing brain or a saw for skull cap.