Wyoming Elk Hunt

The particular unit that I'm going to hunt has limited access. Getting ready to leave on a camping/ scouting trip with the wife for 7 days. My question is could you camp in Idaho and hike into wyoming with a rifle during season without any repercussions? Obviously gun wouldn't be loaded until I cross state line into my specific unit, but was wondering if there is anything else I need to be aware of? I usually truck camp, so this would be a big benefit for me to be able to cut out extra miles each day hunting. Any info is appreciated and thanks in advance.

grfox92

WKR
The particular unit that I'm going to hunt has limited access. Getting ready to leave on a camping/ scouting trip with the wife for 7 days. My question is could you camp in Idaho and hike into wyoming with a rifle during season without any repercussions? Obviously gun wouldn't be loaded until I cross state line into my specific unit, but was wondering if there is anything else I need to be aware of? I usually truck camp, so this would be a big benefit for me to be able to cut out extra miles each day hunting. Any info is appreciated and thanks in advance.

"There is nothing illegal about hiking on public land with a rifle in your hands" - WY Game and Fish.

If you are on National Forest or BLM there should be no issue. You have the right to bear arms.

Crossing from Wyoming into Idaho with a dead animal on your back is a whole other can of worms you might want to look into. I have no idea if it's legal or not. If it is, I would contact the game warden in the unit in Wyoming and the Unit in Idaho and explain exactly what your intentions are and see what they say.

You need to call game and fish in both states regardles of what I or anyone on Rokslide tells you. I'm pretty sure there are units where guys hike in through Yellowstone to get to their units in Montana and even that is legal. Check with local law inforcement.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Scorpion

WKR
No issues packing the rifle. Great point above regarding packing out the meat/antlers.
I’d almost want something in writing from Idaho before attempting it.

An overzealous game warden might try to make your life hell over something like that. If you do kill, I’d be sure to log coordinates of the kill site in OnX, etc.

Good luck.

grfox92

WKR
No issues packing the rifle. Great point above regarding packing out the meat/antlers.
I’d almost want something in writing from Idaho before attempting it.

An overzealous game warden might try to make your life hell over something like that. If you do kill, I’d be sure to log coordinates of the kill site in OnX, etc.

Good luck.
Yes. I would talk to the specific game warden in the Idaho unit and get his name. If he says it's legit, I would call the field office and tell them who you spoke to and let them know exactly what you are doing as well.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Gar

FNG
There are laws on the books in some states that pertain to transporting the animals head across state lines. Has something to do with CWD. Also, be aware of the Lacey Act. What would only amount to an infraction/ ticket in one state, can become a federal felony simply by breaking the law in one state, then transporting the animal to another state.

wyosteve

WKR
My poor memory recollects that to take game out of Wyo., you need an interstate transport tag. But I can't remember if that's just for processed meat or anytime. Game and Fish is your friend here, call them.

wytx

WKR
No intestate game tag needed if you have your hunting licenses tag with you and the meat and antlers.
Mark your kill site and of a GW asks take him or her to it, pretty easy.

Scorpion

WKR
My poor memory recollects that to take game out of Wyo., you need an interstate transport tag. But I can't remember if that's just for processed meat or anytime.
Pretty sure that’s only required if you don’t have the tags for the animals on you. My buddy went to do this for us when he drove out meat and antlers back east. At least in that instance they said we were good to go without them.

Doesn’t ever hurt to check for each instance though. Better safe than sorry for sure.

Jd259

WKR
I’ve done this may times probably right where your hunting and every time I’ve been in there it is the wyo warden patrolling the trailheads in Idaho I’ve talked to him many times and been checked and never had an issue packed many bulls out of there.