Wyoming type 1 vs type 2

Well, I believe I will try my luck at antelope hunting this year in Wyoming and for the unit I'm looking at a type 1 license is for a hunt starting September 25 and the type 2 is for a hunt starting October 5, both end October 31st.

The October 5 hunt would fit my vacation schedule better but would I be a big disadvantage since the type 1 hunt starts 10 days earlier? Would the antelope feel too much pressure and be harder to hunt by the time the type 2 hunt opens?
Trying to decide if I really need to try to adjust my vacation time (not that easy) to try to get a type 1 license or not.

We always went later anyway to avoid the shitshow of opening week crowds, still end up with people lobbing 800 yard shots from the road while we're crawling on our bellies 300 yards out but there's a lot less traffic. Seems like most of the locals hit the opener hard. We're not trophy hunting though so not concerned with bigger bucks dying before we get there.

OP
T
We always went later anyway to avoid the shitshow of opening week crowds, still end up with people lobbing 800 yard shots from the road while we're crawling on our bellies 300 yards out but there's a lot less traffic. Seems like most of the locals hit the opener hard. We're not trophy hunting though so not concerned with bigger bucks dying before we get there.
Makes sense, may be beneficial to hunt the later date after all, not trophy hunting just looking to shoot a mature buck.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
As was stated above, may be other restrictions besides just season dates to a Type 2 tag.

EdP

WKR
Type 2 tags have some kind of restriction. The restrictions are unit specific and not all the same so you need to determine what the restriction is in the particular unit of interest. I would not take the word of someone contacted at Wy F&G, but would confirm the info in a official publication. I don't think any Wy F&G employee would intentionally misinform a caller, but if they made an error it would be the caller that would lose out.

Last edited:

sdolan617

FNG
To echo others, Type 2 tags can have other restrictions in addition to season dates such as being limited to a certain area within a unit or being valid only within a specified distance within agg fields or being private-land only. Very easy to verify through WY DFG hunt planner on their website.

To answer your questions though, I've had good hunts on Type 2 tags and if it fits with your schedule it wouldn't scare me away. Yes the antelope might be more spooky and some of the top-end trophy quality might be off the board but to me its well worth it to be able draw sooner than a Type 1 in the same unit. As others have stated, I usually avoid opening week anyways so I don't really feel disadvantaged hunting a Type 2 tag that opens ~10days after the Type 1.

OP
T
To echo others, Type 2 tags can have other restrictions in addition to season dates such as being limited to a certain area within a unit or being valid only within a specified distance within agg fields or being private-land only. Very easy to verify through WY DFG hunt planner on their website.

To answer your questions though, I've had good hunts on Type 2 tags and if it fits with your schedule it wouldn't scare me away. Yes the antelope might be more spooky and some of the top-end trophy quality might be off the board but to me its well worth it to be able draw sooner than a Type 1 in the same unit. As others have stated, I usually avoid opening week anyways so I don't really feel disadvantaged hunting a Type 2 tag that opens ~10days after the Type 1.
I asked the Wyoming game and fish agent if there were specific areas I can or can't hunt due to the type 1/2 and he said no, the only difference was start date. I will research that a little more to be sure but he seemed knowledgeable of the unit. Told me that there are different game plans for hunting and that some like to wait until the last week to hunt as the antelope have calmed down.
I think I will put in for the type 2 tag, I probably have enough points for a type 1 but should definitely draw on a type 2 and it fits my schedule better. From the advice here, the type 2 should provide the opportunity I'm looking for as well.

Thanks all.

Why would anyone submit their antelope application prior to the seasons being set?

Just wait a month and the season dates and types will be published, then you will know.

ClearCreek

OP
T
Why would anyone submit their antelope application prior to the seasons being set?

Just wait a month and the season dates and types will be published, then you will know.

ClearCreek
Ok, never hunted in wyoming before, figured since you could apply, those were the dates, odd that the seasons aren't set but you can apply on them. I hunt Colorado every other year, when applications open I put in for my hunt, figured wyoming was similar, guess not. I will wait until April to make sure everything is set first, then apply. Thanks for mentioning that.

EdP

WKR
The deadline is the end of May and there is no advantage to applying early. In fact there is a disadvantage because you do not have all the information that will be available to help make an informed decision. Quotas can and do change drastically year to year depending on winter kill and that affects the odds of drawing a tag. The season dates and unit quotas will be available in April. There is plenty of time to evaluate and select your best option with the new info before the application deadline. Also, as SP said above, you can modify your application up until the deadline, but applying early and modifying later is just creating double work for yourself.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
The deadline is the end of May and there is no advantage to applying early. In fact there is a disadvantage because you do not have all the information that will be available to help make an informed decision. Quotas can and do change drastically year to year depending on winter kill and that affects the odds of drawing a tag. The season dates and unit quotas will be available in April. There is plenty of time to evaluate and select your best option with the new info before the application deadline. Also, as SP said above, you can modify your application up until the deadline, but applying early and modifying later is just creating double work for yourself.
Besides the fact that you may forget to modify your application.

npm352

WKR
Ok, never hunted in wyoming before, figured since you could apply, those were the dates, odd that the seasons aren't set but you can apply on them. I hunt Colorado every other year, when applications open I put in for my hunt, figured wyoming was similar, guess not. I will wait until April to make sure everything is set first, then apply. Thanks for mentioning that.
I've drawn a couple type 2 tags that had no restrictions, just the condensed season. I did it because the odds/points needed were better for me. They were great hunts. If the dates work better and there aren't private land restrictions, it is a win win for you. Waiting a bit to apply will give you an idea of quotas and how that might have an effect on points needed.

Hope you draw and get a nice antelope.

Laramie

WKR
Type 2 permits have some kind of restriction, be it date, ownership designation, or specific for a part of the region. Those designations or restrictions do change occasionally so, as mentioned above, it would be in your best interests to wait for the final quotas and regulations to be released. Winter kill is just one factor that is considered. Some areas have been hit by disease and other herds have been impacted by a pneumonia that kills antelope. If you wait until mid May, you should have all the information needed to make a good decision.

Ehunter56

FNG
Have hunted the late season several times. Always came out with a trophy antelope. We usually hunt the Mid-southeast areas. Can't remember the unit areas off the top of my head. We just try to do our best to stay away from the crowds, as they are still usually pretty thick in some areas. Think finding those overlooked little spots are the key.

Jimss

WKR
There are a lot of considerations between type 1 and 2. As mentioned above, some type 2 have different limitations not only with season dates but locations open to hunting.

First, a chunk of the larger bucks obviously have been cherry picked and shot. If a unit has a lot of tags plus private land, the majority of antelope could be pushed on the larger parcels of private land. In October access may be limited if there is deep or drifted snow. The weather may also be colder. Be prepared for wind and snow if camping out.

Antelope can migrate long distances once it snows. If you happen to be in a unit that antelope migrate out of after it snows you may be screwed. If you happen to be in a unit that antelope migrate into it may be good. I know units that are loaded with antelope in September that may be almost void of antelope later in the year after it snows.

I've seen this same thing happen if it's a super dry summer. If water dries up antelope migrate long distance to better water and food sources. Antelope also tend to herd up into large groups in October. They can be tougher to stalk with so many eyes.

Some regions in Wyo (including those with type 2 tags) have a fraction of antelope now than 5ish+ years ago. There may be a lot of miles between antelope. If you hunt one of those units be prepared to spend more days hunting, especially if you are being picky. Some regions in Wyo still have decent numbers but others are the worse I have ever seen. The good news is this winter has been relatively good...knock on wood!

Obviously, the things mentioned above can change from one unit to the next. It really helps having knowledge of a particular unit.