Wyoming type 1 vs type 2

OP
T
Put in my applications for Colorado today but will wait until the first of May for my Wyoming antelope application as that would be the sensible thing to do.

Thanks for the advice.

jakeg

FNG
Make sure to check the season dates once Wyoming G&F release them. The unit I hunted a couple years back on a type 7 tag (doe tag with restrictions) changed from one year to the next. Tag we hunted with in the past was restricted to different season dates and south of a certain road but changed to just be a private land tag - pay close attention if you are basing your research on prior year info.

As a general rule I prefer later season dates to avoid the crowds so I wouldn't shy away from the type 2 tag you are looking at assuming it is just a season date difference. They do get a little skittish after the first week but antelope are not the hardest animal to find so if you blow a stalk or two there will be more to chase

wytx

WKR
^^^^ I guess you have not been out for a year or 2, not so many antelope to choose from these days but looking better this Spring.

jakeg

FNG
I have not - last went in 2021 but have hunted on and off for antelope in Wyoming since 2005 and that was always my experience during that time. Hopefully the numbers come up in the next couple years if they dropped off that much

jakeg

FNG
Correct - preliminary dates have been our since late December. They are not approved until middle of April and published until May 1st. They rarely change season dates from preliminary regulations but I did have it happen to me one time that I was caught by surprise so figured it is worth mentioning in case something does change for the unit people are looking to hunt this year

bdan68

WKR
Correct - preliminary dates have been our since late December. They are not approved until middle of April and published until May 1st. They rarely change season dates from preliminary regulations but I did have it happen to me one time that I was caught by surprise so figured it is worth mentioning in case something does change for the unit people are looking to hunt this year
Proposed dates and quotas were posted on March 18.

EdP

WKR
The proposed dates and quotas are available on the Wy F&G site. Click on "Get Involved" and "Public Comment/Meetings." You can see what is proposed and likely to be approved in the Commission meeting scheduled for Apr 16 & 17.

mainman38

FNG
Well, I believe I will try my luck at antelope hunting this year in Wyoming and for the unit I'm looking at a type 1 license is for a hunt starting September 25 and the type 2 is for a hunt starting October 5, both end October 31st.

The October 5 hunt would fit my vacation schedule better but would I be a big disadvantage since the type 1 hunt starts 10 days earlier? Would the antelope feel too much pressure and be harder to hunt by the time the type 2 hunt opens?
Trying to decide if I really need to try to adjust my vacation time (not that easy) to try to get a type 1 license or not.
Apply for the one with better odds