Year Round Training

BearGuy

FNG
Just looking to find out what people do throughout the year to stay in shape. I hunt the mountains of Montana and in the winters it gets tough to keep in shape from the fall. I’m a carpenter so my job is pretty labor intensive as it is but it’s not quite enough. Any ideas or input is appreciated!

Post hunting season - October - > March
I train in a powerbuilding (strength and hypertrophy) phase in the gym
Fat bike, snowshoe and shovel snow

March - > June
I train for endurance - strength
I combine powerlifting, with strongman style training and kettlebells
I wear a weight vest on dog walks and do some road biking

June - Sept
I train for strength - endurance
In the gym I continue with the power-strongman training. I significantly reduce the volume and increase the weight.
I ruck twice, one day light long distance and the other heavy short distance
I mountain bike, backpack and begin scouting

Year round constants are Martial Arts + heavy squats, deadlifts and presses

180ls1

WKR
Honestly, that's a great time of year to focus on gaining muscle (lifting). Lots of protein in the freezer and calories abound from the holidays.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always cringe when I see folks post up their 6, 8 or 10 week "hunting program". To stay in mountain shape a person needs work out year round imho. Building an aerobic base is measured in years, not weeks- so a person needs time on his feet, lots of time.

I'm blessed with no time constraints (the benefit of being retired!)- I'm hiking daily and strength training twice a week. I try to get in several backpacking trips outside of hunting season. The long miles and elevation gain/loss on these trips very closely mimic backpack hunting (sans the 80+ lb pack outs :)). They also give you a great opportunity to get your gear dialed in.

If you don't already own a pair, get some snowshoes. Great workout- much more labor involved with snowshoeing and it hits a ton of little accessory muscles, ligament and tendons as well.

Hit the mountains, as much as possible :)

Lift weights 3x per week

Run (outside or on treadmill if weather is shit) 4x per week

Bike (outside or on stationary) 2x per week

Swim 2x per week

Cwagsta

FNG
Living in Texas it is hard to do any real rucking that compares to the mountains. I’m fortunate to live in the hill country here, but they don’t compare to mountains. So I have found that for me at least running is important. I hate running and I way prefer other conventional exercises, but I have found that if I make sure I do my running, my total performance is WAY better from rowing to lifting and hiking included.

I also have a labor job in a warehouse, but as you said, it’s not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
I always cringe when I see folks post up their 6, 8 or 10 week "hunting program". To stay in mountain shape a person needs work out year round imho. Building an aerobic base is measured in years, not weeks- so a person needs time on his feet, lots of time.

I'm blessed with no time constraints (the benefit of being retired!)- I'm hiking daily and strength training twice a week. I try to get in several backpacking trips outside of hunting season. The long miles and elevation gain/loss on these trips very closely mimic backpack hunting (sans the 80+ lb pack outs :)). They also give you a great opportunity to get your gear dialed in.

If you don't already own a pair, get some snowshoes. Great workout- much more labor involved with snowshoeing and it hits a ton of little accessory muscles, ligament and tendons as well.

Hit the mountains, as much as possible :)
This is great advice. Good on you for recognizing the issue. I’ll echo warden’s advice that the goal is to never let yourself get to the point where you “need to get back in shape.” It’s so much harder to build it back up compared to maintaining. My advice is do the best you can to stay in hunting shape throughout the year so there’s no need. Similar to crash course fitness plans and dieting, there should be no such thing. Consistency is key.

Here’s what has worked for me while trying to balance work and raising a family:

Following the end of hunting season in November, the toughest time to stay in mountain shape for me is often December/January. I make it a point to get out snowshoeing and/or skiing even if the weather sucks. Backcountry skiing is a good option with lots of vertical. I then get out shed hunting in the spring (Feb - May) so that keeps me in shape until summer backpacking trips, then leading into August scouting trips, September archery elk, etc. The years then repeat. Family hikes? Kid carriers make for great rucking sessions. I do weights/bands for upper body twice per week with a very limited home gym. I also have a treadmill at home with an incline and an old pack with 30 lbs to ruck when temps dip or time doesn’t allow to get into the hills.