Your favorite hunting knife?

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Havalon for processing bull elk. Always nice to have a sharp blade a change away. I also usually have a small Buck 302 pocket knife along that I use to pick slivers and cut rope etc.

SloppyJ

WKR
Havalon with the two blades. I keep the long one as a bone saw and the short one with the rounded scalpel.

mcseal2

WKR
My version of a Dozier Pro Guides knife. Basically I had a custom built with 3V steel, a saber grind, and a 90 degree spine.

Attachments

• IMG_4856.jpeg
    IMG_4856.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 129

TexasHTR

FNG
Number 8 scalpel handle with 70a havalon blades (the blunt tipped ones. Safer and thicker). Then some sort of small fixed blade or folder as edc or camp chore knife. I like fidgeting with a folder when I’m bored in camp or glassing. Also a mini Leatherman in the possibles kit.

I have a buck vanguard w/ rosewood (I think) handle my wife gave me for an anniversary gift when we were less fortunate money wise I think 20ish yrs ago. It’s nothing special in terms of value and I’m not a very sentimental guy, but that one has some meaning. I think of her every time I take it out be it gone for the afternoon or a week and a half away.

Have lighter and higher priced blades but none more meaningful. I wish I would have kept a log or track if how many animals I’ve broke down with it.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
After several blades popping off in the cavity last year I’m pretty sure I’m round filing the havalon. So maybe a couple different benchmades, an old buck my dad gave me, a custom I bought at RMEF annual conference that’s been with me for near a decade ago and one or two of those cheap but awesome boning knives the butchers use (Giesser brand) back at the truck. I really like the scalpel idea but my experience has not been good. Fishing a loose scalpel out of a tight cavity by feel after several days of busting my ass….exhausted..is not cool.

Scorpion

WKR
Gene Ingram Bird & Trout if I can only have one for the rest of my hunting.

That said, I use my Tyto and Outdoor Edge knives more than most everything else normally. They’re just too convenient.

JFK

WKR
Always carry a Case trapper. Also use the outdoor edge replaceable blade knife and have a couple custom fat boy skinners.

Have an outdoor edge replaceable blade knife in the kill kit as a backup but never use it.
Decades old Gerber Gator folder works great for taking apart deer, clip point too not drop and i love that knife.
Knife collector as well so sometimes I will take another knife along but that Gerber just fits my hand and glides. Not a fancy steel on it by today's standards but the older ones were better and I just keep it sharp.
I do take a couple knives to the field - the two above go and then one more, might be Falkniven Forest Knife or one of my buck fixed blades or maybe a Tops fixed blade. Do I need to do this? Probably not but it's fun and that third fixed blade can be considered a survival knife.

Last edited:

WayneKerr

FNG
I have several high end knives that all work well, but my favorite so far is a havalon. No need to drop a ton of money on fancy knives anymore, although I will always have an affinity for Bark River. They have some great designs and ergonomics. My favorite from them for hunting is the EXT-2 3v. Would be a perfect knife if the blade was an inch shorter. The Bravo 1 surprised me the most. I thought such a thick piece of steel wouldn't be good for processing deer, but it worked exceptionally well. It was like the thick blade just moved meat out of the way and I could really see where all of the edge was cutting at any given moment. I thought that was pretty cool. If I could only own one all purpose knife it would be the Bravo 1.

I think I'm going to try a few models from Mora this year. Love their stuff. Great designs, lightweight, and the price is right.