Your favorite hunting knife?

I use a Havalon for processing bull elk. Always nice to have a sharp blade a change away. I also usually have a small Buck 302 pocket knife along that I use to pick slivers and cut rope etc.

Havalon with the two blades. I keep the long one as a bone saw and the short one with the rounded scalpel.

My version of a Dozier Pro Guides knife. Basically I had a custom built with 3V steel, a saber grind, and a 90 degree spine.

Attachments

• IMG_4856.jpeg
    IMG_4856.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 129
Number 8 scalpel handle with 70a havalon blades (the blunt tipped ones. Safer and thicker). Then some sort of small fixed blade or folder as edc or camp chore knife. I like fidgeting with a folder when I’m bored in camp or glassing. Also a mini Leatherman in the possibles kit.

I have a buck vanguard w/ rosewood (I think) handle my wife gave me for an anniversary gift when we were less fortunate money wise I think 20ish yrs ago. It’s nothing special in terms of value and I’m not a very sentimental guy, but that one has some meaning. I think of her every time I take it out be it gone for the afternoon or a week and a half away.

Have lighter and higher priced blades but none more meaningful. I wish I would have kept a log or track if how many animals I’ve broke down with it.

After several blades popping off in the cavity last year I’m pretty sure I’m round filing the havalon. So maybe a couple different benchmades, an old buck my dad gave me, a custom I bought at RMEF annual conference that’s been with me for near a decade ago and one or two of those cheap but awesome boning knives the butchers use (Giesser brand) back at the truck. I really like the scalpel idea but my experience has not been good. Fishing a loose scalpel out of a tight cavity by feel after several days of busting my ass….exhausted..is not cool.

Gene Ingram Bird & Trout if I can only have one for the rest of my hunting.

That said, I use my Tyto and Outdoor Edge knives more than most everything else normally. They’re just too convenient.

Always carry a Case trapper. Also use the outdoor edge replaceable blade knife and have a couple custom fat boy skinners.

Have an outdoor edge replaceable blade knife in the kill kit as a backup but never use it.
Decades old Gerber Gator folder works great for taking apart deer, clip point too not drop and i love that knife.
Knife collector as well so sometimes I will take another knife along but that Gerber just fits my hand and glides. Not a fancy steel on it by today's standards but the older ones were better and I just keep it sharp.
I do take a couple knives to the field - the two above go and then one more, might be Falkniven Forest Knife or one of my buck fixed blades or maybe a Tops fixed blade. Do I need to do this? Probably not but it's fun and that third fixed blade can be considered a survival knife.

Last edited:
I have several high end knives that all work well, but my favorite so far is a havalon. No need to drop a ton of money on fancy knives anymore, although I will always have an affinity for Bark River. They have some great designs and ergonomics. My favorite from them for hunting is the EXT-2 3v. Would be a perfect knife if the blade was an inch shorter. The Bravo 1 surprised me the most. I thought such a thick piece of steel wouldn't be good for processing deer, but it worked exceptionally well. It was like the thick blade just moved meat out of the way and I could really see where all of the edge was cutting at any given moment. I thought that was pretty cool. If I could only own one all purpose knife it would be the Bravo 1.

I think I'm going to try a few models from Mora this year. Love their stuff. Great designs, lightweight, and the price is right.

Back