Your favorite hunting knife?

3rd generation stag stocked Randal 23, most of the time. It’s too big, too bulky and not ideal so I often supplement with the trapper in my pocket or the custom fixed blade I usually have daily. I just can’t not bring it for sentimental sake.

I've use a bunch, but this Bill Moran/Spyderco is the one I always come back to for general big game use. I've had it for probably 15 years now.

Blade shape works well for field dressing, skinning, quartering etc.

Not made in China (Japan)

Good tek lok Kydex sheath

Light enough

Good steel (I think VG10 is underrated, holds an edge well and not difficult to tune up in the field)

Not super expensive ($130ish)1000002405.jpg1000002406.jpg

Not a huge knife guy, but used to have a case sheath knife that I loved. Easy to sharpen, kept an edge, looked good. Lost it on a deer hunt about 20 years ago. I actually now have a mini version of it that I got when my Grandpa passed away but it stays in storage. Have been using a havalon piranta for the last 10 years. Just picked up an MKC Stone Goat. Seems to be a good blade and super light. They had a booth at the Oklahoma TAC event and coerced me into buying one.

My go-to’s are a Outdoor Edge replaceable (I resharpen the blades and get many uses out of them) with that long European gut hook thing along with a folding fillet knife. A little overkill, but they speed up processing an elk for me. I have a Helle Polar strapped to the outside of my pack for general use and skinning. The Helle gets replaced with a slightly larger traditional Roselli knife when it’s really cold (they are both fairly light, but only the bigger knife is good for batoning wood and generally breaking down an animal). When it is really cold, those traditional wooden-handled Scandinavian knives are great; the birch handles don’t draw the warmth out of your hands like hard rubber, micarta, or (and here I shudder) aluminum. There’s a Victorinox boning knife in the truck, and I usually keep a small neck knife and ferro rod in my bino pack. That’s a lot of knives, but I rarely have to sharpen in the field and can get a fire going in bad conditions.

On her way home from NC my wife decided to surprise me with a winkler blue ridge hunter from their shop. It’s pretty awesome

Back