Zamberlan KUIU Pamir Review

strawhunt

FNG
I couldnt see this review but I am curious as to the results of this review because I have already begun to lust after these boots

Kotaman

WKR
Got mine this morning! Need to spend some time in them before I can really give an honest review. First impressions: This is an EXTREMELY stiff, serious mountain boot. I own a TON of mountain boots and these are the stiffest by far. I would put these right next to "plastics" in stiffness out of the box. I bought these for sheep hunting and they may very well be perfect for that application. I just hope they aren't too stiff for my liking.

Overall fit and finish is fantastic. Great looking boot. They are everything I thought they would be.

Got mine this morning! Need to spend some time in them before I can really give an honest review. First impressions: This is an EXTREMELY stiff, serious mountain boot. I own a TON of mountain boots and these are the stiffest by far. I would put these right next to "plastics" in stiffness out of the box. I bought these for sheep hunting and they may very well be perfect for that application. I just hope they aren't too stiff for my liking.

Overall fit and finish is fantastic. Great looking boot. They are everything I thought they would be.
I thought that that was one of the big differences between these boots and all the other big name mountaineering boots (the Zamberlan's not being as stiff).

Kotaman

WKR
I wore them around my office all afternoon...Takes a little getting used to even walking in these! I know that they changed the mid sole material to make them more flexible, but man are they still stiff...I walk around like I'm at a ski resort or something...I hope they soften up a little bit anyway...These are definately a dedicated mountain boot and not for casual strolls or flatland hunting. The boot was made for sheep and goat hunting and should fit that niche well. I also ended up ordering another size as these felt a hair big in the heel and toe. I am usually a size 12 in just about everything, but in my mountain boots, I've ordered a 12.5 when available for extra width and toe box room. I don't think with these boots I needed either, so I ordered another pair in size 12.

Overall, I am very pleased with the boot. I just hope I can get used to such a stiff boot because it should benefit me in the extreme mountains.

Last edited:

Tiger Rag

WKR
Mine are out for delivery today. I'll also weigh in on them as I'm hoping they are slightly less stiff than the Zamberlan Expert Ibex's I already own. It took some getting use to walking in those, but I'm used to them fine now. If these Kuiu Zamberlan's are similar in midsole stiffness then my evaluation on whether I'll keep them or not will be on how lightweight they are in comparison and how much cooler they are with no insulation. I'm hoping for a little more of a year round boot.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Zamberlan makes some great boots. I had the 1009 Vioz's and now using the Dakota's and love them. I just wish they made a 12 1/2 since they run about a 1/2 size big. The 12's are too short, and the 13's are a tad long. A 12 1/2 that runs big would be perfect. Not sure I want a boot as stiff as the Pamir's though.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Zamberlan makes some great boots. I had the 1009 Vioz's and now using the Dakota's and love them. I just wish they made a 12 1/2 since they run about a 1/2 size big. The 12's are too short, and the 13's are a tad long. A 12 1/2 that runs big would be perfect.

I've got 12's in the Expert Ibex and I ordered 12.5's in the Kuiu Pamir's. 12's I have fit pretty well, but wouldn't hurt to have a little more toebox room. Hope they don't change the fit completely vs my current Zamberlan's in the ankle, etc. I've got them cranked down everywhere else with my low volume foot.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Ok, initial impressions. I've got one of my Ibex's on one foot and the Kuiu Pamir on the other. Pamir actually feels stiffer in the sole. I do feel like the Ibex's broke in some (at least the uppers), but I do get some flex out of the midsole on the Ibex's and almost none on the Pamir's. I will say the sole and midsole appear identical. Not sure if both have the carbon midsole (the Ibex is spec'ed with the carbon), but again, they appear the same. Obviously the shank could be completely hidden. Pamir is supposed to have a nylon shank.

12.5 was a good call on my part, I like the 1/2 size extra in the toe box. Glad they offered the 1/2 size here.

It does feel like it is cooler or ventilates more - some of this could be due to the extra room in the toe box. I think the Pamir is less soft, which is likely due to no insulation.

Pamir feels a little taller. I'm not looking at them side by side, judging by feel only.

I remember how stiff the Ibex seemed when I got them. A lot of that was the upper which did indeed break in. The Ibex also seemed to develop a little flex after a while.

Hardware seems cheaper on the Pamir, more like an Asolo - aluminum appearance vs a heavier brown hardware on the Ibex's . The one exception is the dogging down locking lace on the lower foot on the Pamir - really, really like that! I wish the upper hardware was like the Ibex's, they seem to lock the lace in pretty well and are very heavy duty. I'm sure this hardware set saves slight amount of weight with the exception of the lace dog.

It also seems I can lock my ankle really well in the Pamir, even better than the Ibex which is pretty good too.

Weight for one of the Pamir's in size 12&1/2 is 2.91 lbs. Weight for one Ibex in size 12 is 2.94 lbs. I'd say there isn't much weight savings.

I do like the built in gaiter on Pamir's, seems like it will work nicely on some trips when the terrain doesn't call for full fledged gaiter.

Did I say that I really like the locking dog lace?...lol! I really like that for a precise fit on my low volume foot. I feel like this boot is made for a slightly more low volume foot. I crank both sides of the Ibex's until they touch when I lace them, I've got probably an inch gap on the uppers on Pamirs that I can crank down more if needed.

That's about all I can think of for now until I get trail time on them. I like them well enough though that I doubt I'll return them. I think they'll break in a little since my Ibex's did a little (probably mostly the leather uppers), but still they do seem to give a little more flex now than they did new.

Attachments

• IMG_20131122_163426_259 (282x500).jpg
    IMG_20131122_163426_259 (282x500).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20131122_163525_993 (500x282).jpg
    IMG_20131122_163525_993 (500x282).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20131122_163439_893 (282x500).jpg
    IMG_20131122_163439_893 (282x500).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20131122_163348_134 (282x500).jpg
    IMG_20131122_163348_134 (282x500).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20131122_163550_335 (500x282).jpg
    IMG_20131122_163550_335 (500x282).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I wore them around my office all afternoon...Takes a little getting used to even walking in these! I know that they changed the mid sole material to make them more flexible, but man are they still stiff...I walk around like I'm at a ski resort or something...I hope they soften up a little bit anyway...These are definately a dedicated mountain boot and not for casual strolls or flatland hunting. The boot was made for sheep and goat hunting and should fit that niche well. I also ended up ordering another size as these felt a hair big in the heel and toe. I am usually a size 12 in just about everything, but in my mountain boots, I've ordered a 12.5 when available for extra width and toe box room. I don't think with these boots I needed either, so I ordered another pair in size 12.

Overall, I am very pleased with the boot. I just hope I can get used to such a stiff boot because it should benefit me in the extreme mountains.

Have you had a chance to put on a couple of K with these boots yet?

Kotaman

WKR
Went on one 2 hour hike and listed them in the classifieds. They are just too narrow for my feet. Incredible mountain boot but may be even a bit stiff for my liking. The 12.5 fit me in the toe box but was sloppy everywhere else. The 12's fit my feet great in length and in the heel, but were just too narrow in the forefoot. I would say they run very true to size but not for anyone over a "D" width. I classify myself as an "E" width with a fairly narrow heel. I hate buying boots. I can walk around the house for days and they feel great, but as soon as I get on a mountain everything changes. One walk in the hills for me was all it took with these.

Went on one 2 hour hike and listed them in the classifieds. They are just too narrow for my feet. Incredible mountain boot but may be even a bit stiff for my liking. The 12.5 fit me in the toe box but was sloppy everywhere else. The 12's fit my feet great in length and in the heel, but were just too narrow in the forefoot. I would say they run very true to size but not for anyone over a "D" width. I classify myself as an "E" width with a fairly narrow heel. I hate buying boots. I can walk around the house for days and they feel great, but as soon as I get on a mountain everything changes. One walk in the hills for me was all it took with these.

Thanks for the update. So much for Jason making them not as stiff as the regular Pamir Zamberlan makes. From every review I have read on them so far everyone has compared them to ski boots. I was hoping they were going to have a little more flex in them than my old plastic Koflach's I use to wear. But it doesn't sound like it.

I am guessing we will be seeing a lot of these up for sale soon. Not the boot for the average guy.

Kotaman

WKR
Actually, if they fit me better, I"d stick with them as I dio think they are just a step below plastics which should work great in the tough stuff. Agree that we are going to see a few pair for sal, especially if someone bought them as an all around boot. Supposedly, he changed from the original carbon shank to a nylon shank so the boot would be less stiff! Would hate to see a "stiff" Pamir!

Huntfun

FNG
My review is I got them, tried them on then sent them back the next day. They are as stiff as ski boots....in fact that was the first thing that came to my mind when walked in them. They are so stiff I could not imagine them ever breaking in to where I would be comfortable in them. I did like the fit and the features and they are well made…but then I like Zamberlain boots! If they made one just like these with some flex, I would be in boot heaven. I have never been hunting for sheep but I hunt Elk every year in the higher elevations where the are rocks, boulders, etc. and I can honestly say I would not like hunting in those boots.

brewer427

WKR
My review is I got them, tried them on then sent them back the next day. They are as stiff as ski boots....in fact that was the first thing that came to my mind when walked in them. They are so stiff I could not imagine them ever breaking in to where I would be comfortable in them. I did like the fit and the features and they are well made…but then I like Zamberlain boots! If they made one just like these with some flex, I would be in boot heaven. I have never been hunting for sheep but I hunt Elk every year in the higher elevations where the are rocks, boulders, etc. and I can honestly say I would not like hunting in those boots.

You know that's how it was for me, but I have very bad ankles, due to a couple motocross accidents, and that's one reason I really like the stiffness. It was somewhat uncomfortable at first. But what I did is took the boot and forced it side to side and front to back, for quite awhile over a weekend. This loosened them up quite a bit, then I wore em in my house for awhile. I've done 5 10-15 mile round trips, over the last couple of weeks and personally really enjoy them. Especially some of the rocky areas I've been in with snow.

But I like a fairly stiff boot for the added stability. Just my 2 cents.