Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some of you know that I ran the Wasatch crew top all last season. It really worked well for me. This season I decided to try the benefits of merino wool and I think I'm sold but I don't find the 170 wieght kaibab overly warm so I'm going back to the Wasatch series for the late seasons.
e991f7470c42d0deea9e78982eecb9ab.jpg
The Wasatch is a 95% polyester 5% spandex blend. This makes for a very soft inner with a durable exterior. Over all an extremely comfortable shirt. It has the same flatlock seams and sleeve pocket as pervious models. They did add thumb loops this year. It's a nice feature when layering your system.
5179fdb0aabd5d9a13b85a1b46372bb4.jpg
I found this fabric to wick well and dry quickly. It also breathes well for a poly layer. SKRE lists the Wasatch as a mid to late season base layer. I'll be using it as such in my up coming trips.
681e8cfae5f20e3c095a8632595d9b3a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a picture of the Utah early season opener. Snow was fairly deep up on top and I thought it would really get the deer moving I found a bunch of tracks but saw few deer. I was thankful that I stopped and picked up this set of hardscrabble gaiters. I did get to put a bunch of miles on these though knee and shin high sage brush in the snow and mud. I was a bit worried about the uppers being a thinner fabric similar to the Nebo rain gear but found these held up great for me on this trip. I was actually impressed with the amount of sagebrush I busted on well they took all those branches. Ill post up a few more details and pictures in a follow up post.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gaiter key features of the Hardscabble gaiters-
20k rated upper.
Three panel construction with reinforced lower panel.
Lower panel made durable cordura.
1.5 inch heavy duty Velcro front closure.
Boot lace hook
Rubber under boot strap with buckle.
1" above the calf nylon cinch strap to keep gaiters in place.

Last edited:
This past weekend was a pretty cold one for us archery hunters here in Michigan and this weekend is scheduled to be the same. I had to ditch some of my Skre gear this weekend in an effort to stay warm. The Merino Wool base layer is not practical when you have temps in the 30's and the wind is blowing. I had to put on a heavier weight base layer on to stay warm. I really hope that there are plans for further product development with a mid-layer and a heavy-layer here in the future. I did have to ditch my Hardscrabble Jacket too, but I put on my Ptarmigan Puffy Jacket. That did seem to do the trick to keep me warm. I know that it has been brought up before, but the zippers on this jacket are very loud. I cringed when I zipped open my coat a little bit. I am not sure what causes this (product type I assume), but I will just need to know I have to keep things zipped up. One item that I would like to suggest is the addition of a slit underneath the hood to pass a safety harness lanyard through. I realize that some people like to have their harness on the outside, but I like to put my jacket over top to try and muffle any potential noise. If there was a slit to pass a lanyard through, then I could utilize my hood when I am on stand. At present time I am not able too because my harness comes through the back. It is just a personal opinion on something.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mallard I know what your saying on the pass though when it's cold out I wear my harness outside my coat so I can use the hood and when i don't think I'll need the hood wear it inside.
392d0fc17fb98a97d4e2fa67df9109be.jpg
Had the Nebo over the hardscrabble for an all day sit in the mist.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Couldn't get the right buck to cooperate but took some meat home anyway.
805e1e0e1cbaaf9b58357b9cb51992c9.jpg
I feel that the summit pattern performed excellent from the tree stand.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had to head over to Colorado for business and hit my buddy up about tagging along on some of his 3rd season deer afternoon hunts. I didn't take any pictures (his #1 rule) but we saw a bunch of bucks just none that met the strict standard.
We spent a bunch of time driving and long range glassing tiny pockets for bucks then get closer if needed. I wore the hardscrabble jacket a bunch it was nice to just throw it in and stalk and take it off when in the truck hitting the next spot. It's plenty warm while moving and I opened the pit zips a bunch to regulate sweating. It blocked the wind very well also. I'm finding I enjoy a soft shell a lot when not worried about wieght convenience of use is great. I took along the ptarmigan but never needed to wear it on this trip.
His son did kill a nice bull elk but they almost didn't shoot because it was in big buck pocket and was afraid it would blow the deer out. Luckily the elk left the bowl and headed towards the truck so they took him out and gave him a ride in the truck. A first for me loading a bull whole. These big muledeer killers always focus on not letting the buck know their on him till conditions are perfect to try and kill him. It was awesome to watch them glass country and learn which features they pick apart first. Learned a bunch from these guys.
ffbb0412a43e8154238e5245fd7cabee.jpg
I'll leave Dustin head cut off for now.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just as I was finishing up in Colorado my buddy called and asked if I could drive to Montana and help him pack out 2 elk. He had filled his A and B tag and thought I had a good chance to fill tag in that area also. Since I'm not very smart and had an unfilled tag my mind wandered to dreaming of a big bulls.
fb095909d1272c17889a39bbeba9533f.jpg
14 hours later I was packing elk out of the little belts. Of course by then the other elk had moved on to parts unknown.
96ea0305df2268c0cc8cc0b1611f6157.jpg
We continued to grind the mountains in search of where the herd had moved off too.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
First time I've ever had the opportunity to chase elk in November.
27c143d99b77628cc371ec04a13b17af.jpg
The weather was clear but cold.
It was 20-30 degrees everyday with a bunch of wind and some light snow fall. I wore the deadfall gloves every day they did great mid 20s and up. I did get cold hands riding the 4 wheeler to the drop off point. Lower temps my hands were fine just not toasty and found myself searching for a pocket or balling them up for a bit more warmth. I mostly wore the kaibab base with the kanati hoody and the hardscrabble jacket with pit zips open while moving. I carried the vest in my pack but never put it on after riding in.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
First time I've had a fire at lunch time ever while hunting. It definitely is a moral booster and a tactic my buddy uses to dry out some of his gear midday.
147b43bb9d6a31d6740f49f43956692a.jpg
I was happy with how all my gear performed. I will be looking to upgrade my day pack option next season.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got about 50 miles on the hardscrabble gaiters now.
a5cedf06c0c1e39c95777302cdf832a0.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are the gaiters quiet when your legs rub together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do have a bit of a swish similar to the rain pants. For me personally I don't find that they don't get together all that much. They fit very "tightly" vertically and I don't have huge calves. Only time I've really noticed any noise is when traversing steep slick country where I'm using small steps to avoid falling. Normal steps they don't seem to get together very often but I'm 6'4" so maybe that plays into it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk