Ultimate SKRE Gear Review

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been wanting to throw together a video of the gaiters but been super busy hopefully over the long holiday weekend

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I have the original hardscrabble pants and the one the biggest complaint I have is the waist is stretchy. So, when wearing a pack it pushes your pants down. Obviously wearing a belt helps, but I like to get my pants that fit snug so I don't have to wear a belt. Kuiu and sitka their pants stay in place on me.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the original hardscrabble pants and the one the biggest complaint I have is the waist is stretchy. So, when wearing a pack it pushes your pants down. Obviously wearing a belt helps, but I like to get my pants that fit snug so I don't have to wear a belt. Kuiu and sitka their pants stay in place on me.
I always wear a belt so I've never noticed this before and have worn a loaded pack a bunch. I think this is great feedback and I can see where that would be annoying when wearing a pack though. Has anyone else noticed this?

Some pretty good deals going on right now at the Skre Website through the 25th. I just picked me up a hooded sweatshirt, Wausatch Hoodie and hat. Felt pretty good about the money that I saved and just a couple more pieces to keep adding to the collection. Pretty good deal on the Nebo too, but I decided not to pull the trigger on that.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some pretty good deals going on right now at the Skre Website through the 25th. I just picked me up a hooded sweatshirt, Wausatch Hoodie and hat. Felt pretty good about the money that I saved and just a couple more pieces to keep adding to the collection. Pretty good deal on the Nebo too, but I decided not to pull the trigger on that.
Im going to pick up another pair of the deadfall gloves @ $25 it really is a steal I really like these things. Plenty of good deals- the ptarmigan without a hood is less than $150 and the new hooded version is just a bit more.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a reminder to check out SKRE holidays sale this weekend. Some good deals going on right now
bc6a9fb95bece3c56a7771f7e03eeff9.jpg

K_pem

WKR
If anyone is looking to buy some SKRE gear i have a gift card i would be willing to sell at a discounted rate to save you some additonal $$$.

PM me

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is anyone’s take on the wind resistance of the hardscrabble jacket?

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is anyone’s take on the wind resistance of the hardscrabble jacket?
I used this jacket in late season Montana elk and was again impressed at how well it cut the cold winds. Since I didn't use a softshell much before I started using the hardscrabble I anything I can compare apples to apples with.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a little bit of an experiment to see if I could document how well the hardscrabble does.
d795b6f7e77c2e91d3494ff5e0980f3a.jpg
Used canned air and the the kestrel to measure the air speed.
8942c1811200153528a3594f379d4db0.jpg
36.3 I did this a few times and each time was pretty close.
efc8936bc24a05abf9a82beecb651255.jpg
1.7 with the air nozzel touching the hardscrabble jacket on the opposite side.

Last edited:
OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like SKRE is running a cyber Monday sale for those guys missed out on the black Friday sale.
cb1504df59be9032adcb7cd1c5164fe6.jpg

way_south

FNG
I was set on purchasing the whitetail bundle and was waiting for a sale to pull the trigger. After all my research, this detailed review and the pre sales customer service from Mike and Nate I wound up buying a bunch more than planned. I can't wait for it to arrive this week.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was set on purchasing the whitetail bundle and was waiting for a sale to pull the trigger. After all my research, this detailed review and the pre sales customer service from Mike and Nate I wound up buying a bunch more than planned. I can't wait for it to arrive this week.
Be sure to report back when you receive it and give us your first impressions.

I picked up the Hooded Sweatshirt and the Kanati Hoodie. I am pleased with the hooded sweatshirt and I think that the kanati hoodie is what I have been looking for to stay warm. It is a little brutal when you are archery hunting when it is blowing snow and cold in the northern michigan deer woods. My overall thoughts on the Hardscrabble pants is that they are not the best choice when looking to stay warm. I ended up wearing 2 pairs of LJ's and flannel pants underneath to stay warm. I did not use the Hardscrabble jacket because I felt the wind came through the jacket. I ended up wearing my ptarmigan hooded jacket instead, which did the trick keeping me warm. The only issue with that jacket is that its not very quiet. You really need to be careful with movement and the zippers seemed a little louder than the hardscrabble. Overall, I am pleased with the system, and hopefully with the couple of new items I have, I will be a little more comfortable on the stand.
I just thought that I would give my overall review on things before I pack it all away until next year.