Zero Drop Hunting Boot

bcimport

WKR
If you’ve tried it and it doesn’t work for you that’s cool. I’ve found a lot of folks myself included for a long time “knew” I had to wear boots because everyone knows that. After some research and time to strengthen my feet I rarely ever find myself wanting a boot on my foot anymore.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I hiked and somewhat ran all summer with Altra's I've also been on two hunts. On the last one, I pack out part of my buddies deer and camp. 89 pounds is what the scale said when we got to the trucks. According to my watch, it was a 4.8 Mile pack out, half side hilling, half on a trail, really rocky terrain. So far I'm loving these shoes.

Imcolej

FNG
After years of backpacking and hunting in traditional boots, I developed Neuromas on both feet. It's basically when the nerve between your big toe and next toe over becomes inflamed repeatedly and scar tissue develops. Every hike, after about the 5 mile mark, I'd get searing pain in my toes with every step on both sides and it would not go away. This was not fun.

I did some research and neuromas can come from too much pressure on the ball of your foot caused by heel lift. This is very common in women due to years of high heels and cramped toes in the front of the shoe.

Anyways, I considered the traditional route of cortisone shots and even more rigid boots. I was not looking forward to this fate.

I researched alternatives and found barefoot/zero drops shoes. After 2 1/2 years of constant vivo barefoot/lems shoes and altra lone peak mids. I have gone up to 15 miles in a day with zero pain. This is trail and off trail mountain hunting in Central and Eastern Oregon.

I have the Lone Peak 3.5 mid's in mesh and polartec. I use both when hunting depending on season. I was let down by the lack of water resistance in the polartec versions. However, Altra just released an event version of the mid boots that I ordered immediately. They claim them to be waterproof. I'll report back as I'm planning on hunting in them starting in October all the way through December.

The barefoot and zero drop shoes have been a lifesaver for me. I can't recommend the altra's enough. They have given me back pain free hiking/backpacking and hunting. I'm truly grateful. I hope they continue to develop their boot line as it's my only option right now.

bcimport

WKR
I would encourage those who are interested to try low stack height low/zero drop shoes before you automatically write them off. I was on a goat hunt a couple weeks ago and used my Solomon speedcross 4’s (non gtx). We did quite a bit of distance, lots of vertical and a LOT of sidehilling and bushwhacking. My hunting buddy is old school through and through and couldn’t believe I was running “sneakers” for this trip. We kept tabs on how our feet were feeling, traction and a general feeling of nimble ness. There was no point at which I felt at a disadvantage and even my buddy noted that I seemed to get through rough country easier than he did because I could feel what was going on and that I wasn’t standing so separated from the ground with a thick boot. It was wet, snow and rain. Both of us had wet feet so that wasn’t a concern. I would really encourage guys that your footwear should work for you not against you.

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running & backpacking in altra lone peaks for a while and love them(with superfeet). I bought the lone peak mids with the neoshell. They fit great but are noisy as hell.

Even for running and hiking it sounds like your stepping on a duck or something. I didn't wear them many miles, 35 or so, and they didn't get quieter.

I might go the opposite direction and go to lathrop or just go try Asolo Fugitive GTX Hiking in a wide

I wear zero-drop all the time and find it really great on hard flat surfaces. I'm thinking the heal won't bother me on uneven ground and steep terrain.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I am in the same boat. I have been wearing minimalist zero drop shoes for several years now, and my body is loving it. I never have sore feet like I used to. I have tried pretty much everything under the sun. Last year, I spent 10 days in the Zirkel Wilderness with Merrell Trail Gloves. I really liked them for comfort, but wanted more of a high top. This years elk hunt I wore these Xero Shoes
DayLite Hiker - Men - Xero Shoes

I've also worn the TR-105 Mini-Mil boot. It gives a little more protection than a shoe but still has a zero drop, super flexible lightweight vibram sole. Not waterproof, but they walk dry in no time flat.
Men's Tactical Research TR105 Mini-Mil @ TacticalGear.com

When the weather starts getting cold, I have this pair of Rocky SV2 insulateds that I have had for about 5 years now. They are zero drop, pretty comfortable, waterproof and 400g thinsulate. They are really heavy if you've been wearing stuff like Merrell Trailgloves all year though!
Rocky S2V Waterproof Insulated Military Duty Boot, FQ00104-1

Battleguy

Banned
I have always hunted in boots that are light and lack ankle support. I hate stiff soles, and I like light boots that I can feel the ground through.

I usually go the route of light goretex boots, or light boots made of full leather and keep them well oiled. the only ankle problems I have ever had were from boots you described with more of a robust sole. a light, short, goretex hiker with light duty gaiters like Sitka flash gaiters is the perfect setup for me early archery season....or like right now, spring bear.

Many people aren't searching for the truth, they just want to be right.

three5x5s

WKR
My wife has planters and she love's the Hoka One One shoes. They have a boot - Tor Ultra Hi WP. Has Vibram sole and E-Vent. Bit pricey. Never tried but it might be something to look at.

twall13

WKR
I don't believe the Hokas are a true zero drop shoe, though they are better than most. I'm thinking from a running perspective and I know those extra few mm of stack height make a noticable difference in my running form. Probably not an issue on a hiking shoe but with pointing out all the same.
My wife has planters and she love's the Hoka One One shoes. They have a boot - Tor Ultra Hi WP. Has Vibram sole and E-Vent. Bit pricey. Never tried but it might be something to look at.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Trained and then just hunted two weeks in the Alta lone peak event mids. Overall very pleased as I’ve been having pain/neuroma issues for the past few years with my lowas. I was supprised how well my feet did. Went around s hundred mountain miles in them and have zero pain issues. That said, side hilling and uneven ground really exercised my ankles much more than ever before. My insoles moved after some extended time side hilling which necessitates removing the shoes to reposition the insoles. All in all very pleased.

Dean6319

FNG
I picked up a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.0 mids with their neoshell for water resistance. So far so good, I've been wearing zero drop footwear for the last nine months so I feel like my feet are fairly conditioned for them. My only complaint is that I bought them about half size too big, I think if they were the right size they'd be perfect.

Just bought a pair and used them on a 5 day hunt/hike in the Alpine Lakes wilderness. Love Altra’s and these did great with 1 exception. They are not water proof. Water gets in around the tongue and once they are wet they take a camp fire to get them dry.
Just read a review on the 4 RSMs and they are supposed to be better.

I love my Altra mid's but damn they are ruff on the pack out. I hunted all last year in them but it cost me two pair because of the mentioned durability.

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought a pair and used them on a 5 day hunt/hike in the Alpine Lakes wilderness. Love Altra’s and these did great with 1 exception. They are not water proof. Water gets in around the tongue and once they are wet they take a camp fire to get them dry.
Just read a review on the 4 RSMs and they are supposed to be better.

Echo this, Picked up a pair of the Neoshell mids about a month ago on clearance and they are not waterproof. My feet were soaked after walking through wet grass for a few hours. I had eVent gaiters on over First Lite rain pants and my legs were perfectly dry. I've been wearing zero drop shoes going on 10 years and wear either Vivobarefoot or Altra's every day. I absolutely love the fit of the Lone Peaks Neoshell, but was very disappointed by the waterproofness. I'm looking at ordering a pair of new 4.0 RSM in eVent and try those.

I also have a pair of the Muck Pursuit Shadow boots which are a lace-up version of their neoprene boots. Close to zero-drop, and pretty comfortable to walk around in, but not not convinced these would be a good solution for more than a couple days in the backcountry as they don't breathe and don't have as much space for my toes to spread out as I am used to. Funny thing with these is a little 'possum found its way into my garage and made them more breathable and less waterproof!! Amazing how much damage that little thing did in an overnight trapped in there... And boy do they love anything made from foam or rubber!

n2horns

WKR
I used the Altra mid for early archery elk in Arizona. Terrain was flat and no break in time for the shoes. They are softer soled and quite when getting close to elk. I noticed that in thorny region these suck, everything pokes right through them. I lived with a thorn for the morning in the side of my foot as the hunting was on fire. I didn't put any pack weight on the shoes to test how they feel carrying a load.

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Altra mid for early archery elk in Arizona. Terrain was flat and no break in time for the shoes. They are softer soled and quite when getting close to elk. I noticed that in thorny region these suck, everything pokes right through them. I lived with a thorn for the morning in the side of my foot as the hunting was on fire. I didn't put any pack weight on the shoes to test how they feel carrying a load.

I've been curious about these styles of boots for a little while now. Being in AZ my concern is basically what you describe, cactus, thorns and real rocky terrain.

n2horns

WKR
I would not use them in the lower deserts unless i was watching east step. Too much cholla and others that will get you. I wore mine in AZ Unit 10 for an archery bow hunt. Really not much there to stick you, but i found the one. If I am in areas where cactus and the like are not around or very few, I will wear them.

Deepshax

WKR
I'll post a pic of my current pair.
I've used them the past two years. Gone thru a few pairs now. They don't hold up well and dont last long at all while hiking and hunting. They are ideal for comfort and lightweight, just no durability. They pair I still have are trashed, soles, holes in em. If they are strictly on trails they may last a bit longer but they just aren't durable enough. I wanted them to work, trust me. I still like the shoe.
I've got the addidas swift terrex r2 right now, but they are not zero drop. I don't hunt in boots if possible, trail runners are much nicer.

Ill second this, my Altra Timps started breaking down after only 150 (on trail) miles, they are super comfy though.

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a like new pair of 9.5 Men's Lone Peak 3 Mid Neo Trail Running Shoe I’m selling. I need something stiffer with the foot injury I’m trying to heel

$100 obo I’m in boulder, co

1b566e796aceae0747df470c88efb9cb.jpg

d8c22014dfbb739dc257af630feda90f.jpg
4fd472fb49917ff811244336a4f677fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk