First European Mount

BG775

FNG
This is my first go at a European mount. My 5 year old son wanted to keep it since he spotted it and it was his first deer camp. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Boiled with soap, then baking soda. Bleached with skin peroxide.

yGGmr1Z.jpg

Looks great, killer job. I love the Nevada plaque too, I may have to steal that idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BG775

FNG
Just some tongue and groove I found at Home Depot. Same aisle where they have the hardwood boards. I was going to get some pine and try to “weather” it myself, but this was too easy and probably better

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Great job on the mount. You gave me an idea with the state shaped plaque. I just did 3 antelope for the guys I took out to Wyoming this year for their first hunt. Proud of your son and for you making a mount that will have him remember a great time with his dad.
900def02801ce4851c4ba696f9bbe950.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Great looking mount. I've been thinking about going the boil method for some color. I live relatively close to the best skull cleaning place maybe in the world, Skull Unlimited (featured on Dirty Jobs). They do museum quality work but they almost look TOO perfect.

The state board is genius.

How is everyone else doing their European mounts? I used to boil all of mine, but my free time seems to be nonexistent with little kids running around now. Has anyone tried the boil and pressure wash method, or will just pressure washing do the trick? I've got 5 or 6 heads that need to be done, so boiling individually really isn't an option. They don't all have to be done at the same time, but I don't have time to spend 4-6 hours on each skull.

WKR
How is everyone else doing their European mounts? I used to boil all of mine, but my free time seems to be nonexistent with little kids running around now. Has anyone tried the boil and pressure wash method, or will just pressure washing do the trick? I've got 5 or 6 heads that need to be done, so boiling individually really isn't an option. They don't all have to be done at the same time, but I don't have time to spend 4-6 hours on each skull.

Do you have a detached barn or garage? If so, I would macerate them. That is how I do mine. Total time around 1 hour per skull.

I always boil mine then pressure wash them. Soak them in bleach for just a few hrs to help kill the bacteria that’s up inside the skull then take hair bleach and mix with peroxide to make a paste. Brush each coat on and let sit for an hour and hose off and repeat!! After 2 sometimes 3 coats, they look magical👍🏻

dog812

WKR
I do similar to above.
Boil for 4 hours, pressure wash, I use simple green degreaser. And simmer it on the element I boiled the head on for thirty.
Then brush on formula 40, plastic wrap it, And put it in front of a heater for a hour to whiten the skull.

a24b3f27751178ab48c1ccc2bb7c4b7b.jpg

5215c760774909e1dcf9ab5a28cf2554.jpg

Last edited:
Does pressure washing help get all the stuff out of the sinus cavity? I always had trouble getting that clean when just boiling.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like most just blow all the bone out of the cavity with the pressure washer leaving a giant hole. To each their own I guess

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Looks like most just blow all the bone out of the cavity with the pressure washer leaving a giant hole. To each their own I guess

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Has anyone found a way to keep them intact and still manage to get all the stuff out of the cavity?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Has anyone found a way to keep them intact and still manage to get all the stuff out of the cavity?

Beetles is the only way that I know of. If there's another way, I want to hear it as well.

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
Maceration is the best DIY method. No babysitting for hours. You have to deal with a nice smelly funk though! Smell can be abated a few ways. It is basically warm water rotting. For $60 you can probably do 15 deer sized skulls. Supply list: A titanium aquarium heater, tote, soap and peroxide if desired.

Here is the start:
c478c191d12c24865885ed8863e4ce5c.jpg

Simply drop prepped raw - (no eyes or brain) skulls in a tote that can be kept warm with an aquarium heater with the ability to keep temp 90-100. Make sure evaporation is kept in check with a layer of plastic on top, I use bubble wrap to act as an insulating layer as well. I do mine inside cheap tote inside an insulated tote.

After 10 days of doing nothing but making sure the temp is in the 90's every few days, this is what they look like.

4fcf587f4934ed8449d467d7a281bc6a.jpg

Dump water and make sure there are no loose teeth in bottom. Predators lose most of their front teeth, but prey can lose a few molars once in a while. Water and dump area will attract dogs wanting to roll! Can dump in a hole and cover.

Rinse skulls with hose quickly, pick any chunks clinging off and then put back in tote with big squirt of dawn dish soap and heat back up for a few days and then change water again. Fill with water and another squirt of soap. Let sit one more week. For a super oil/grease free skull might take 3-4 water changes.

Then when satisfied or antsy-dry skull for a week in a warmish area. If you like the natural color hang up as is. If you like more white- then whiten with peroxide.

89ba02d7c6b3c8051d3615bbdb3ccc45.jpg

9055832cfbeb5cecb3ebabeaac603d9d.jpg

Total handling time less than one hour for a few deer at once.

Tip- wear disposable nitrile exam gloves every time you touch the process.