Dogs on big game hunts

gabenzeke

WKR
Anyone ever take a bird dog along with them on a big game hunt to try and get some birds after the tags are filled? Wondering how you manage keeping a dog somewhere while you're off in the mountains?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
My birddog doubles as a cowdog and biggame dog and a camp dog...... We don't hunt birds after the tags are filled, because we're too busy getting meat and camp packed out.

So how does this work? Does he follow you while hunting? Does he sleep in your tent? Thinking about starting an annual January coues hunt in AZ and would like to chase quail too.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Oh, and is it generally legal in the west to ha e a dog with you while chasing big game? I know it's illegal to use them for hunting, but wonder if a CO would distinguish from hunting and just being a camp dog

Mine just follows me anywhere I go. He sleeps in the tent, but as you see, he steals my bed over his dog bed. Never had a problem in CO having a dog along during any deer, antelope or elk season. Maybe because mine isn't a 'hunting' type breed. When I packed out after elk season, a fish cop came by checking trailhead camps, and talked for a half hour with me, and never even mentioned my dog, even after being hounded for attention by him the whole time......

gwl79902

WKR
Its not illegal to have the dog with you in Oregon it is illeagal for the dog to aide in taking or attempting to take big game. The dog is fine with you in the field. I had a very mellow lab that would follow me and keep quiet, it was nice to have the company.

Tod osier

WKR
I've done it a couple times, but my wife was there to man the dogs. Both are well trained and good in the duck boat or in the uplands, but neither of my dogs would have been an asset (read as major hindrance or liability) during a stalk of any sort. Don't know what I'd do alone big game hunting with the dog. They do a nice job cleaning blood off for photos.

Dogs and caribou...
y3QJ2ej.jpg

Dog and elk...
mTxgM2J.jpg

Boy and dog with his grouse after elk...
tFkIYIW.jpg

wytx

WKR
Not legal in Wyoming to have a dog with you big game hunting according to a GW we talked with. If the dog shows any sign of alerting you to game it smells or sees it is illegal.
We used to take our labs everywhere we hunted, they stayed in camp in the camper when we were out hunting. Never had an issue as they were well trained for in house.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
So I'm guessing my best course of action here would be to find a state that hopefully allows a camp dog on big game hunts, has a season in late winter, and a decent upland bird population. :)

kickemall

WKR
I always take one deer hunting and most everywhere else. Its legal to use one dog per hunter to run deer and I use one to jump them in thick brush. I try to train them to stay with me when I want them there and to send when I want them to go push something out. Cowdogs seem to suit me best. Also, bears are a pain around camp and a good dog will keep them out.

oldgoat

WKR
I did it when camped in designated campground. Tied rope between two trees, then attached short lead so he could travel the length of the rope without getting tangled. I'd deer hunt morning and evening and Mountain Quail hunt midday. Camp host would check on him for me, we fed the camp host regularly and he was always super helpful! Wouldn't want to do it on a backpack hunt unless I had a non hunter along to mind him while I big game hunt!

Fatcamp

WKR
Awesome thread. Buried one dog this fall and the other is 14. Our next dog will be trained to follow on big game hunts, shed hunt, and track blood.

Bulldawg

WKR
I ran into guy in Montana that had a dog with him all along the way, he had it trained to stay with him and when he would call elk in it would stay low and be quiet. It also helped keep the bear that ransacked our tent away from his tent. I've followed him a bit and kept up and that dog has passed and he now has another dog that he does the same thing with. I have some bird dogs that won't be worth a dang for big game hunting as being quiet and still isn't in their nature. But I'm hopeful that in a few years when it's time to get a new dog that I can train it to be a big game hunting companion. Bear protection would be helpful and having someone else to talk to on a solo hunt.

Fatcamp

WKR
So how about opinions on breed. Our dog now is a Heeler cross and an amazing animal. Not sure about a young one though

Oregon

WKR
We always have a dog at deer camp for Chukar/hun hunting.
I crate my dog when I leave in morning for deer hunt, or leave in truck.
Our upland season opens the week after deer. If tagged out, we stay through the weekend to get a 3 day bird hunt.
If not tagged, I still hunt birds on the opener at least.

A few years ago I noticed a couple other hunters with a dog in tow during fourth rifle elk here in Colorado. I was immediately envious of having a dog alongside as I walked off into the cold morning. My Lab is too amped all the time to actually hunt deer or elk with me but he's always along if I'm scouting or looking for sheds. Maybe if I had my lady along to handle him when things get interesting... I would like to put the meat on the little beast.

vanish

WKR
uc

Our dog Hank is mellow and submissive, so its really easy to get him to chill out when you need him to be still. I couldn't tell you how many big game hunts he has been on at this point, but the most memorable was when I was able to shoot a cow elk at 8 yards with my bow, with him lying right next to me.