How many big game tags is too many?

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Teddy Roosevelt could have hunted all the over world, wherever and whenever he pleased, without ever having to look out for the common guy or the long term impacts of his actions. He didn’t.

We can all do better, myself included. Having the conversations about self limited and being better to our fellow hunters is paramount to preserving the thing we all love. The hunting industry isn’t going to try to preserve hunting opportunity anymore than Exxon is trying to preserve crude oil reserves. The shot callers want it to be exploited for every buck it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, not to be a contrarian, but Teddy Roosevelt killed a lot of stuff. I read "Theodore Rex" and "The rise of Theodore Roosevelt" both by Edmund Morris. Some of Teddy's hunts were pretty crazy. He had a lot of guided hunts. He killed hundreds of birds for cataloging in his private collection. There are stories he wrote about coming up on four bull elk and shooting all of them but only recovering three. He went on safari with his son in Africa and they killed 512 animals, (17 lions, 11 elephants, 9 giraffes, 19 zebras, etc.)

He did more for hunting and conservation then anyone and I admire the guy, but his generation hunted in a way that would turn your stomach.

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
Man, not to be a contrarian, but Teddy Roosevelt killed a lot of stuff. I read "Theodore Rex" and "The rise of Theodore Roosevelt" both by Edmund Morris. Some of Teddy's hunts were pretty crazy. He had a lot of guided hunts. He killed hundreds of birds for cataloging in his private collection. There are stories he wrote about coming up on four bull elk and shooting all of them but only recovering three. He went on safari with his son in Africa and they killed 512 animals, (17 lions, 11 elephants, 9 giraffes, 19 zebras, etc.)

He did more for hunting and conversation then anyone and I admire the guy, but his generation hunted in a way that would turn your stomach.

Without Teddy, none of us would be hunting in America today, and we wouldn’t be recreating on public lands. He recognized his own transgressions and course corrected, specifically about the buffalo.

I guarantee you’re doing something right now that 100 years from now will turn someone’s stomach.

Without Teddy, none of us would be hunting in America today, and we wouldn’t be recreating on public lands. He recognized his own transgressions and course corrected, specifically about the buffalo.

I guarantee you’re doing something right now that 100 years from now will turn someone’s stomach.

If you read my post, I said he did more then anyone for conservation. His safari hunt was 1909-1911, after he was done being president. You should read the books a little I listed, it's a good read.

OP
Hnthrdr

Hnthrdr

WKR
Both great reads, hunting was very different back then, but TR saw first hand how valuable the resource was and how we needed to protect it, same thing with water, and wild places. Funny how he is wildly popular today, during his time he was a pretty controversial figure and not all that popular, thank goodness he did what he did though

He did more for hunting and conversation then anyone and I admire the guy, but his generation hunted in a way that would turn your stomach.
I read a few of his books and I can’t remember which one but he talks about him and some of his companions coming on a big herd of elk that were way out of range (1000 yards???) and everyone just dumped their guns crippling several and I don’t think they recovered any.

Wild stuff