Road Kill and my Frustrations

OFFHNTN

WKR
I share your frustration. I've had 2 different instances in which I called a CO to do the right thing. One ended in "letting nature take it's course", the other in him taking antlers from a dead deer.

Btaylor

WKR
If you run into a vehicle hit deer and you can pin the deer down, it is a much quicker kill to run the blade between 2 ribs into the lungs. Of the 3 I have dispatched that way none lasted more than about 10-15 seconds.

S.Clancy

WKR
Yeah, cutting the throat is not very fast. My brother did it last weekend on a mule deer, it was pretty hard to watch. As far as most people leaving vehicle hit deer alive, in my experience, most people want no part in the death of an animal, so they just get away from the situation. Not the most adult thing to do, but what do you expect these days.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Yeah, cutting the throat is not very fast. My brother did it last weekend on a mule deer, it was pretty hard to watch. As far as most people leaving vehicle hit deer alive, in my experience, most people want no part in the death of an animal, so they just get away from the situation. Not the most adult thing to do, but what do you expect these days.

Agreed. It is also very dangerous with an animal that is fighting for it's life.

I encountered a similar situation 2 nights ago. I was third on the scene of a car hit deer that was laying alive in the road. The women that hit it said she was going to take it once the cop that was in route put it down. I dragged it off the road and proceeded home disappointed I wouldn't get to utilize the animal. Fast forward to the next morning. The deer was not salvaged.

davsco

WKR
I encountered a similar situation 2 nights ago. I was third on the scene of a car hit deer that was laying alive in the road. The women that hit it said she was going to take it once the cop that was in route put it down. I dragged it off the road and proceeded home disappointed I wouldn't get to utilize the animal. Fast forward to the next morning. The deer was not salvaged.

if the deer is alive in the road, why not just run it over again, seriously?

FLAK

WKR
That's why I don't ask permission. Just do what has to be done and be quiet about it.
That applies to many aspects of life.

goodorbit

Lil-Rokslider

That's awful.

I thought ID had just changed the law to make it legal to dispatch a wounded animal yourself?
The online reporting for roadkill salvage is a great way to go.

ChrisAU

WKR
if the deer is alive in the road, why not just run it over again, seriously?

tenor.gif

That's awful.

I thought ID had just changed the law to make it legal to dispatch a wounded animal yourself?
The online reporting for roadkill salvage is a great way to go.
I can't speak for that with 100% certainty. You are probably correct.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

eamyrick

WKR
Were I worked patrol 7 years ago we would get several hit deer a day. City is now close to 1 million metro. It was initially no big deal to shoot one but has become a real drudge of approval and paperwork. In Texas you are also prohibited from taking any meat (at least that’s the way it was.) The way I see it if you don’t have to call and can just handle it in a safe manner how you see fit that’s best. Ideally cops could shoot them as needed but that’s not the world we work in anymore. (Did have a rookie one time try to kill one with a PR-24, which is not advised in case you are wondering.)