Different outdoors hobbies

TaperPin

WKR
Hobbies really have to be easy to do within a short distance from home or interest peters out. I mountain biked almost every good weather day in Boise, but the north trail system was right out my back door - miss That. In Wyoming the town I grew up in had a great trail system and everyone in town had a machine - miss that. In Alaska the salmon runs really are quite amazing - every day of the pink run near town I’d drive the 10 minutes from work and force myself to catch and release at least one fish - often that only took a few casts - miss that. Wyoming just has amazing dry fly fishing - nothing gets my attention like a lake or stream full of hungry fish - definitely miss that. When you live near a gigantic area filled with prairie dogs, varmint hunting is addictive. Living in a town with an active silhouette shooting club is a ton of fun - chicken/pig/turkey/ram silhouettes, not one of the new versions.

I like to show the kids in our family that it’s important to have a variety of healthy hobbies and how to jump into something that sounds fun and get over the learning curve quickly so it’s less struggle bus and more fun.

Personally, I am interested in a lot of stuff and tend to over focus on something, then drop it and on to something else, but limit myself to things I know I’ll go back to. For instance I haven’t picked up golf clubs in a year, but I probably will this year - some years we hit a number of national parks and some years we don’t. If someone in the family is learning to fish I’ll do that a lot - same with different types of shooting or hunting, or anything.