Backpack Month: Kifaru Extended Mission Ruck (EMRII) review by Sam Millard

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Rokslide's own Long Range Editor, Sam Millard, recently put the EMRII through the paces and is here to tell us all about it.

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/backpacks/322-kifaru-s-extended-mission-ruck-ii-emr-ii

Hauling meat are you putting it between the wings or in main bag?

I do the same as Sam and haul it in the main bag. I just put it in a dry sack to help keep blood off the pack as best I can. I also use a Grab-It II inside the bag to suspend the meat load up higher. Works pretty well.

Nice review Sam!

weaver

WKR
Luke, can you explain how you carry the meat on the outside of the main bag? I have been wondering how to do this.
Not 100% how Luke does it but I leave the center bag empty except for a sleeping bag, puffy ect all the way at the bottom. Meat goes on the outside of center bag with the wings compressing it. Any other gear goes into the wings and lid.

wetzel

FNG
Not 100% how Luke does it but I leave the center bag empty except for a sleeping bag, puffy ect all the way at the bottom. Meat goes on the outside of center bag with the wings compressing it. Any other gear goes into the wings and lid.
Do you not support the meat with anything on the bottom to keep it from slipping down? I imagine a Kifaru gen 2 meat bag could hang from the common loops and still ride outside the bag.

weaver

WKR
I did use a grabit a few times but I don't think its necessary anymore. With a few things in the bottom of the bag I can create a shelf that the meat sits on. With the wings compressing it I haven't had any slipping problems.