First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants Review, by Sam Millard

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

We wanted to know what the buzz was all about with the Corrugate Guide Pants from First Lite and why these are so hard to keep in stock. So Sam Millard worked with Rokslide Sponsor 1-Shot Gear to answer those questions. You can read his review here:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/clothing/377-first-lite-corrugate-guide-pants

Last edited:
How are they for layering? Here in Idaho the Temps can range 30 degrees from morning. To afternoon in the mountains.

I thought they were very comfortable as is while I was testing them, with temp swings from the 40s into the 80s, here in Idaho, in the mountains They stretch well enough, and are slick enough inside, to wear a layer under them. Depending on where you end up in waist size, an extra layer could prove tight in the hips.

twall13

WKR
That's interesting about how tight they are for you in the lower legs. My size Large fits great over my Crispi Hunters. Perhaps the larges have a bit more room there. Of course, I have fairly skinny lower legs, but even with my large boots on I hadn't even really noticed that they were tight, let alone so tight they would be tough to get on. Great pants, I'm loving mine.

LJ Buck

WKR
I love these pants. My new favorite for sure. I found that they breath great are extremely water resistant and the cut couldn't be better.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are little tight on my lower legs as well. Really liking them so far. I have about 35 days in the field with them. I ripped two holes in mine while packing out an elk. The knee caught on some deadfall while walking. I will say the holes weren't bigger than a dime and for how hard the caught, any other pant would have had a several inch rip...

Wore them since July for pretty much every outdoor activity I've done and they've been great in all regards.

handwerk

WKR
So how are the size/ waist working for you guys...I'm a 33-34" and it looks like I'd fall between sizes,my 34" attacks fit perfect.

So how are the size/ waist working for you guys...I'm a 33-34" and it looks like I'd fall between sizes,my 34" attacks fit perfect.

Same boat I'm in, but I'm fatter The mediums would probably work for you, as my waist is 35", but I also wear 34" Attacks, and they are roomier than the medium Corrugates I reviewed.

oldgoat

WKR
I'm there same as you and I tried on both medium and large the other night, didn't have any problems buttoning the mediums but I felt a little like an 80's rock star in them! Large were a little big but a belt or a pair of suspenders and they were comfortable and plenty of room for layering but not so big that I felt like I was swimming in them!

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider

I'd go L if I were you. My 34 attacks are really roomy compared to my M corrugates. Really, really like the corrugates. Great stretch, durability and fit. Pocket design is awesome and they breathe surprisingly well.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

handwerk

WKR
Thanks guys, me at 175 the mediums might work, but with layering in mind the large sounds like the way to go...there's always beer to fill in any gaps.

Eagle

WKR
What makes these pants $100 more expensive than the Prana Zion Stretch pants? I've got big calves, so the skinny jean cut likely wouldn't work for me anyway, along with the 31" inseam being about 3" too short for me, but I'm curious what makes these so much better than other nylon pants available?

I only have 4-5 days in mine but like them. They have the skinny leg thing going. As far as better than prannas I think they are the same functionally and maybe not as good on things like double seats and knees and zip off legs you can get in non hunting hikers. They don't have any Velcro and the come in camo is about the only advantage. BTW the belt loops will handle a riggers belt fine but have a bit of trouble with the a COBRA buckle.

twall13

WKR
I don't own the Pranas but I've heard they are similar to the Kuhl Renegades, which I do own. I'd say the Corrugates are a bit thicker, and more durable than the Renegades so they should last a few seasons longer. Mine breath quite well, though they do run slightly warmer than my Renegades. I also like the pocket layout (and no velcro) on the Corrugates better. Otherwise, I'd say you are paying extra for the brand and maybe camo. If you aren't willing to pay extra for that then the Pranas will probably work just fine for you.

What makes these pants $100 more expensive than the Prana Zion Stretch pants? I've got big calves, so the skinny jean cut likely wouldn't work for me anyway, along with the 31" inseam being about 3" too short for me, but I'm curious what makes these so much better than other nylon pants available?

Haven't tried the Prana's, so can't speak to that but these truly are bullet proof and super quiet. I also have big calves (Kuiu 210 bottoms wouldn't fit around them), but don't have any problems. I use 8" Bates zip-up boots and they fit over them fine but tight. I think this may be a problem with the smaller sizes as it seems those complaining are wearing smalls and mediums while I wear a large. I actually just picked up some EB guides for $50 which I had the same thought process in that they are similar but not quite as stretchy and without a few of the top end features but still great pants for $100 cheaper. The FL Corrugates will still be my go-to hunting pant.

Eagle

WKR
Haven't tried the Prana's, so can't speak to that but these truly are bullet proof and super quiet. I also have big calves (Kuiu 210 bottoms wouldn't fit around them), but don't have any problems. I use 8" Bates zip-up boots and they fit over them fine but tight. I think this may be a problem with the smaller sizes as it seems those complaining are wearing smalls and mediums while I wear a large. I actually just picked up some EB guides for $50 which I had the same thought process in that they are similar but not quite as stretchy and without a few of the top end features but still great pants for $100 cheaper. The FL Corrugates will still be my go-to hunting pant.

That's where I would run into a problem with the corrugates most likely as I'd need a small for my waist size and my calves are too big for that most likely. The Prana's I have don't have any Velcro, I do wish they had a cargo pocket on each leg rather than just the left, but for $55 and being able to buy 34" inseam, I guess I'll stick with them. Can't justify the cost difference or possibility the fit won't work for me, and I don't wear camo either, so that's a non issue. Thanks for the input.

That's where I would run into a problem with the corrugates most likely as I'd need a small for my waist size and my calves are too big for that most likely. The Prana's I have don't have any Velcro, I do wish they had a cargo pocket on each leg rather than just the left, but for $55 and being able to buy 34" inseam, I guess I'll stick with them. Can't justify the cost difference or possibility the fit won't work for me, and I don't wear camo either, so that's a non issue. Thanks for the input.
Yeah, the long inseams in the small are also an issue with FL. I wear 36/34 jeans and the large fits perfect. I also have a big azz, thighs and hips and have problems with most pants (Kanabs don't fit) and these fit.