0 Degree Bag

LRHunter

FNG
I’m trying to decide on the three following bags. Any input about your personal experiences with these products is appreciated.

Kuiu Super Down Zero Degree
Stone Glacier Chilkoot Zero Degree
Western Mountaineering Kodiak MF

PNWGATOR

WKR
The Chilkoot is a fantastic bag. The cut is extremely comfortable and the down is fantastic. Quality of construction is top notch. Stone Glacier is a wonderful company to do business with on top of it all

Chillkoot is quite warm. Plenty of space to move around. My only real gripe with the bag is I rolled the dice on their max height - I’m 6’8” and the bag is 6’6” I believe. A little tight with the hood on.

I’m trying to decide on the three following bags. Any input about your personal experiences with these products is appreciated.

I have the Kodiak and a 15 deg SG, so not as low in temp but same materials. I used the SG on a sheep and goat hunt this year, I stayed warm but noticed condensation on the outside of the bag. It never affected the loft, the only thing I could come up with is it breaths well so all the moisture in the bag was getting pushed out. I also forgot to take a pad on a scouting trip, the entire bottom of the bag was soaked in the morning, still wasn’t cold. Space wise I could roll around no problem. I had the bag down into the mid 20s, only thing I did was put my jacket down by my feet as they typically get cold first.

The kodiak is super warm, enough space to roll around. The zipper seems more smooth to me vs the SG but that’s me being picky. I never noticed any condensation on the outside of the bag.

If weight wasn’t an issue I’d take the kodiak only bc of the MF material seems a little more water resistant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Another Kodiak user here. Warm, almost too warm for 99% of my needs. Rather be too hot than shivering though.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

It’s not a bag you have on your list, but I recommend the 10* Zen Bivy Light Bed. It’s the most comfortable bag I’ve ever used and still within your temp range.

cwpepper

FNG
I have a zero degree kuiu for sale right now if interested, you can find in the forums under "Kuiu 0". I'm 6' 200lbs and it has worked perfect for me. Selling as I'm getting a 15-degree bag instead from kuiu. Did a lot of research on this topic as well and my opinion is that Kuiu and Stone Glacier Chilkoot bags are great for treated down. If you are taller than 6' Chilkoot would be the bag i'd buy. If you are 6' or shorter i'd buy a Kuiu. I do not have experience with WM.

Lando

WKR
All three are solid options. I would choose between those three on the specs I needed. Do I need a roomier bag? A lighter one? Do I need the outside fabric to be highly water resistant etc.? Financial investment would also be a factor for me.

Some may also care about where the bag is made. WM is USA made, the others are not.

Of the bags mentioned I only have experience with WM. I have three WM bags (Kodiak, badger, megalite) and will say that their materials and construction are second to none. However I’ve never even used the Kodiak because I haven’t been on a trip where I’ve needed that kind of warmth. The loft on that thing is crazy. If interested I just posted my Kodiak in the classified ads if you want a deal on a never used bag.

That said, people seem to love their SG bags, and I also agree with @WeiserBucks that Feathered friends is worth a look. Basically pick your temp rating/dimensions/weight, then any quality brand like WM/SG/FF will make you happy. Just comes down to how much you want to spend and finding the right combo of specs to fit your needs. Different brands use different fabrics too so that may sway you one way or the other as well. All their websites should have more info on that stuff.

After my first WM bag I’ve never even thought of switching. They are incredible.
Here’s my shameless plug of my Kodiak for sale: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...zip-mint-condition-never-used-600-tyd.333641/

eamyrick

WKR
Chillkoot is quite warm. Plenty of space to move around. My only real gripe with the bag is I rolled the dice on their max height - I’m 6’8” and the bag is 6’6” I believe. A little tight with the hood on.
I’m 6’3 and passed my Chilkoot onto a buddy after 3 nights. Extremely warm but I felt cramped as far as length. I have size 14 feet and could not extend them out.

FOT223

FNG
SG for the win! Love it and I also own mountain hardware, north face, big Agnes, and Nemo. Nemo is probably my runner up for 0-20 bags and big Agnes for 30+

Ran a SG for archery and stayed warm. I am 6'5" and the bag seemed a little short for me. I wasn't in love with the magnetic draft collar on it. Other than that a nice bag. I have a Kodiak and it is perfect in my opinion. Never been cold below 0. Just ordered a Badger on a black Friday deal. Will see how it is.

wildcat33

WKR
All three are solid options. I would choose between those three on the specs I needed. Do I need a roomier bag? A lighter one? Do I need the outside fabric to be highly water resistant etc.? Financial investment would also be a factor for me.

Some may also care about where the bag is made. WM is USA made, the others are not.

This^

Those are all good bags. My advice is to strongly consider the dimensions of the bag and what you need. I have a WM that is "roomy", which sounded good when I bought it, but it sleeps cold for me because its so much more space inside that needs to be warmed up. I wish I had bought a smaller bag. Lastly, the way you winter camp can be a factor. Usually its good to have some extra space in the bag for extra clothes; either to dry them or keep them warm.

I have a Kuiu super down 0. I've had WM bags of the same temp rating. Both were warm but i feel the Kuiu bag is built a little more durable and less prone to down leakage. If I were to buy again the only other bag I would look at is the SG. I have no need though as I am completely happy with my Kuiu. I have had it for about 5 years.

Tahoe1305

WKR

How tall our you? I have a sweet hack for those that are 5-10” minus.

I just picked up a SG for a great price. If I didn’t stumble into that I would have gone with FF. That semi rec shape they have is very interesting to an active sleeper.

SheepDogRob

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the Kuiu 0° bag for two seasons now and it’s warm and comfortable. Durable and a good design. I also really like the Chilkoot but they didn’t have it in stock.