1 Piece of Advice to pass onto a New Hunter

Hunting west - have backup for locations. Compass, altimeter, gps, etc. Learn to navigate by topographic map. Enter data on it as you encounter it. Wind direction, trails, nasty places you don't want to ever see again, and access points that are critical to get into some country are just some things to keep track of. Granted these are things unique to timbered country but critical if you expect to fully understand the country you hunt in and the ability to escape it sanely each day. Elimonate the need for search and rescue.

Hunting west - have backup for locations. Compass, altimeter, gps, etc. Learn to navigate by topographic map. Enter data on it as you encounter it. Wind direction, trails, nasty places you don't want to ever see again, and access points that are critical to get into some country are just some things to keep track of. Granted these are things unique to timbered country but critical if you expect to fully understand the country you hunt in and the ability to escape it sanely each day. Elimonate the need for search and rescue.
I would second this. Your notes are what will help you develop a thorough understanding of your hunting area. If you find a good, secluded bit of country that holds animals, spend the time to learn it, both during the off season, and through different hunting seasons. Spend enough time in a particular section of country, and you will learn how animals in general behave in that country. Write down every encounter on your paper map and mark it in your gps, as well as taking detailed notes in a small weatherproof notebook. Over the years patterns will become obvious, and you can start to predict where animals will be during different times of the year. Focus on these most likely areas 1st and develop strategies that can put you into multiple good areas during the course of a hunt.

pk_

WKR
Here are 3 things I would recommend paying attention to.

1.) Learn the biology and behavior of the animal intimately.

2.) Learn how the wind and thermals behave in the terrain you hunt.

3.) Learn the habits of the other hunters in the area.

If you study these 3 things and combine that knowledge with some time in the field, while being competent with your weapon, you will find success.

The hardest part for a new hunter is to keep composure when presented with an opportunity, and I don’t think there is a great answer for that besides exposure and experience.

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Remember that it’s supposed to be fun. At one point during my last hunt my feet were frozen, my clothes were soaked, and the only animals we had seen were on the wrong side of the fence. And all I could do was laugh at the misery and enjoy the beauty of the outdoors.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I was told in regard to deer hunting. You’ll never shoot a giant if you always shoot the first thing you see. I typically shoot one deer a year and sometimes a doe. However I focus most of my time on going after large buck. In doing so you won’t always fill your tag. Certainly it’s different for everyone in regards to what you want to shoot and what you don’t.

In closing don’t settle go after what you want. It’s all dependent on how much you like to hunt and how hard you want to hunt in addition to how much time you can spend in the woods

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
Make a list of what things can affect the outcome of your hunt, and the things that won’t. And prioritize the things that will.

GoatPackr

WKR
Enjoy who you are with and the time with them more than anything. All the high-tech gear and trophies will be around later unlike those who were with you on those first hunts

Kris

Spend as much time in the woods as possible. If you are there and pay attention, you'll learn the habits of your prey and dramatically improve your odds of success. You'll also fine tune and master your gear.

I think I scouted 38 days this year. Located my target buck that I watched all year in about five minutes of spot and stalk. Spent more time just watching him eat before shooting him than I spent locating him and getting set up for the shot. Hunting local makes this possible. Of course if you hunt away from home, just get there with as many days as possible to scout and hunt.

Last edited:

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
Take calm clean kills.

Keep a "lessons learned log" and review it prior to the next season. Nothing makes me madder than making same mistake as previous season.

49ereric

WKR
After season follow their tracks in the snow. learn how they move after 3-4” snowfall.
Then when a fresh snow comes the next year you’ll know where to be.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Just because you carry a rifle doesn't mean you are a rifleman.

SwiftShot

WKR
You have to make it happen. You want the animal, go get the animal. They will only come so far to the call. Get close real close, they will respond way better to your call.