Kuiu piece you can’t hunt without?

pirogue

WKR
Tough to answer. I’ve got several pieces and some since the first year of Kuiu. They didn’t use to label them with the weight and material, like they do now. So since I’ve never belonged to the ILGWU, I don’t even know what a lot of the older base layers are. So some of them, I just feel for thickness and choose depending on the expected temperature.

I always get a kick from people that are so quick to bash Kuiu or any other of the higher end camo brands.

Do you need them? of course not, most people will say you don't even need camo, solids would work just fine.

A few points though:
Quality - this isn't even an argument. Anything built by the big hunting guys or outdoor companies will be better than anything you find at Walmart, Sportsman, Cabela's, Canadian tire, etc
Price point - some see the gear as expensive. If you look at is as an investment and hours spent in that piece, you will generally get more than some cheap alternative.
Comfortable - technical gear is designed to excel at one task during a certain period of your hike. When buying the proper piece for the proper task, kuiu get is near the top of comfort.

People will always complain that its too pricey and they don't need it. "I have been hunting in my blue jeans and plaid since I was born" are the same people that say there is no game left because they don't get out of the truck. *Before anyone jumps down my throat this is a stereotype and doesn't apply to everyone* This technical gear is designed for back country hunting.

One final note, recently I attended the wild sheep of BC mtn hunting expo and guess who was there? SG, Kuiu, Kifaru and many others but for the big clothing/backpack guys, I remember seeing these 3. These 3 are a staple when it comes to conservation in BC. I see raffles throughout the year by many conservation groups and one thing in common, is these 3 guys always have gifts donated to support the cause. Oh, and don't be fooled by Cabelas, the "round out to support outdoor crap" is just a donation for a tax write off.

I'm personally happy spending my hard earned money on a premium product from companies that, in turn, invest a portion of that money back into the landscape. As the world goes woke, its becoming harder and harder to for hunting companies to stay afloat.

Only kuiu piece I really use it the Strongfleece hybrid 260 hoody. Feel like I wear it almost everyday depending on the temps and activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on the Strongfleece (mine is the 280 full zip). Have tried many mid-layers from many other brands and in my opinion the Strongfleece is a step up in warmth, element resistance (wind & light precip), durability, and dry time.

Nockdown

FNG
Tell ya what, the merino boxers are pretty phenomenal. Way overpriced but my sack is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon_G

WKR
Don’t own any Kuiu, maybe that’s why I haven’t gotten an elk with my bow yet.
Get any of their camo stuff. You can practically sprint up to an animal and smack them and they won't know what hit them.

Hondo

WKR
Pro Pants
Kutana Pants
Peloton 97 Hoodie
Peloton 200 Hoodie
Peloton 240 Hoodie

I often hunt without them but those get the most use.

Badger 5

Lil-Rokslider
I love the Kenai Jacket with pit zips….not the most durable but I wear it all the time in the mountains and in the city.

Wish I went with a solid color, I get goofy looks at the farmers market in Seattle.

Rabbit46

FNG
I love the Kenai Jacket with pit zips….not the most durable but I wear it all the time in the mountains and in the city.

Wish I went with a solid color, I get goofy looks at the farmers market in Seattle.
I am also a big fan of my Kenai Jacket. Light, warm, and comfortable. A great jacket for adding a layer or wearing on its own. I wear mine aton.

Agree that it is not the most durable piece. Mine is pilling a tad in high rub areas. But not enough to discourage me from wearing it or limiting its effectiveness in any way.