10 year anniversary trip-RMNP

My 10 year wedding anniversary is this fall. 8 or 9 years ago we took a trip to RMNP and the surrounding area. We were mostly on the Grand lake side and we had an absolute blast. I drove up to Grand lake while coming home from a hunt last fall and to my surprise, the whole area was hit by a wildfire a few years ago. I somehow had missed that news. Sounds like the east side was spared.

Anyway, we want to come back and experience the area again for 4-5 days. If we focused more of our time on the Estes park side, what should we see and do?

We will plan on getting a rental cabin and staying there every night. We like to cook for ourselves but wouldn't mind some nice restaurant experiences as well. What off the beaten path hikes or sites should we see?

Planning on late Sept- early Oct time frame.

Does anyone know if the Bowen-Baker loop up to Parika lake was hit by the fire? That place holds some sentimental value and I'd love to visit it again if possible.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot of the restaurants were lacking in my opinion, at best they were your average suburban strip mall quality. Shops are kinda full of overpriced souvenirs. You’re going to be too late for horseback riding, well mostly as the operators shut down about then. If the weather is good it’s fun to walk the town. Plenty to see on that side of the park though and should you need something from civilization you’re closer to large town than you would be on the west side.

Also that’s the off time of year for businesses as summer is over and skiing hasn’t started so expect limited and sporadic hours. On the bright side you can enjoy less crowds just don’t expect much open past 7pm.

Beendare

WKR
FYI you need advance tix to get in…and some of the different sections req a special ticket in advance.

There is a little Indian place in Town that is really good..kind of a hole in the wall but great food. Otherwise its typical tourist restaurants- at least the ones we have eaten at. The Stanley hotel food is good but a tad pricey.…worth walking through it though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We stayed in Estes in late September a few years back, definitely still very busy with tourists.

We did a great loop in the nearby Indian Peaks Wilderness- I think we saw two people on this 25-ish mile loop.

RMNP is definitely pretty, but much like Glacier NP can be overrun with people. Fortunately most folks rarely leave their vehicles, so still some decent hiking opportunities for those willing to hike a little further.

OP
F
Estes side is simply boring. Typical yuppy town. I don’t know what you’d do there after day 1. I’d stay on the Granby side without question.
Do you have any recommendations for day trips from the Granby area? Can you take bulldozer rides or anything?