RMNP is awesome

You're just going to hang that out there and not tell us the other 4?
Denali, Zion Canyon, grand Tetons and great smokies.

I’m a little biased toward the smokies because I live so close and can spend a lot of time there. Yellowstone almost makes the list due to the amount of wildlife you can see.

Jaker_cc

WKR
I was there 6 years ago or so, saw this absolute hammer of a bull. I think I read somewhere that he was poached a month or two later.
82a97346f54ad574a22d91168f2c1dc3.jpg

736706b150c6d5d7fb0682615bdaf94b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
I grew up near to RMNP. A buddy and I once got dropped at the top with our long skateboards. A park ranger caught us skating down the east side of Trailridge Road and told us to walk to the bottom. Of course as soon as he was out of sight we resumed skating. A few minutes later he came roaring back and told us “I was stupid to think you‘d just walk down, get in the back”. He drove us to the bottom.

Last edited:

T-town

FNG
Planning to spend 1-2 days there this September on the way to elk camp. Excited to see it for the first time. Any more restaurant recommendations for the wife and I would be appreciated.

Planning to spend 1-2 days there this September on the way to elk camp. Excited to see it for the first time. Any more restaurant recommendations for the wife and I would be appreciated.

Antonio’s Real NY Pizza was very good. They have a robot named Carmella that brings the pizza to your table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Titan_Bow

WKR
I live just under an hour drive from RMNP and truthfully I haven’t been much in the last several years due to the increased crowds. I do fish it quite a bit during the week when I can get a day off from work. As much as like it, I’d have to give the nod to Glacier NP though, that’s definitely my favorite park! Although Angel Landing in Zion has got to be one of the coolest hikes I’ve ever done.

Last edited:
My wife and I went in 2015 and loved it so much we cut the Utah portion of our trip short to visit again. We did some back country camping which are memories she still talks about.

cnelk

WKR
I live just under an hour drive from RMNP and truthfully I haven’t been much in the last several years due to the increased crowds.

Totally agree. Except it’s been a couple decades since I’ve been there.

So many other comparable places without the tourists

Backyard

WKR

Bazookas

FNG
The Thai restaurant in town was surprisingly awesome. I’d go back there just for that.

I've got some flight credits I need to use and have been considering flying into Denver and head up to RMNP and this thread is definitely swaying the choice.
Thanks for the pics and info that everyone has shared.

Backyard

WKR
No you only need a pass to get to bear lake.

So, drove thru today. Awesome weather and sights. Saw elk, goats, deer, and moose. It only costed me $25 entry and $2.00 timed entry fee. This was to drive the “no fee public road”. Good thing I checked and got my permit ahead or it wouldn’t have happened.
But it might be different for others.

Mturney

Lil-Rokslider
We went a couple of weeks ago. We entered the park early and got around before to many people showed up. It was fun with the kids. A good place to get them close to elk. 94BAB938-9C6E-4A14-BBFC-6FCD9CEFCEEC.jpeg

TaperPin

WKR
To me, RMNP is the most scenic park in the lower 48 if you like high rocky peaks. I don’t remember the name of the peak you have to hike to, but there is a spot in the middle of the park with a fantastic panoramic view of the whole thing.

If you want an amazing conditioning hike, going up Longs Peak is a 16 mile round trip with 5,000’ of elevation gain up to 14k’. It’s recommended to leave the trailhead by 3:00am so you can get off the top before afternoon thunder storms roll through. We took something like 13 hours to get back to the van and were tuckered out.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Had a pretty insane encounter with this guy one morning. He died two years ago, killed by a lion late in the winter at his weakest. These pictures were from a few years prior.
JTB_6164.jpegJTB_6093.jpeg