RMNP is awesome

My family is in Colorado Springs for USA weightlifting nationals week. Today was an off day so we ran up to Estes Park and RMNP. We’d never been in the park this time of year and were pleasantly surprised by close to 50 elk in several herds above tree line (11,500+) munching on lush green grass and some kind of small yellow flowers. One bachelor group had 6 bulls right along the road with one nice 6x6 that looked to be 250+. On the way down we got to enjoy a big mama moose and her calf browsing in a swampy creek area about 50 yards off the road. We saw numerous mule deer as well as a couple bonus turkeys as well. All in all a great mini vacation with plentiful wildlife living their best lives.

Attachments

• IMG_4882.jpeg
    IMG_4882.jpeg
    957.7 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_4881.jpeg
    IMG_4881.jpeg
    458.7 KB · Views: 304
It’s a great place to visit. I was there two weeks ago and there was a lot of snow above 11k. We hiked and watched wildlife for 3 days. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

taskswap

WKR
If you plan to visit RMNP, definitely have a go of Old Fall River Road. It's a one-way dirt road, but you don't need a jeep for it - you will see plenty of regular sedans. It starts at the Alluvial Fans (a great place to stop and enjoy) and then works its way up to the back side of the Alpine Visitor's Center. It hits about a dozen POI's and photo ops along the way. You will see plenty of wildlife and waterfalls as well, and it turns the trip to the visitor's center into a loop instead of an out-and-back so it makes for a great day.

Then eat at Wapiti's in town. Their elk burgers are great!

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
If you plan to visit RMNP, definitely have a go of Old Fall River Road. It's a one-way dirt road, but you don't need a jeep for it - you will see plenty of regular sedans. It starts at the Alluvial Fans (a great place to stop and enjoy) and then works its way up to the back side of the Alpine Visitor's Center. It hits about a dozen POI's and photo ops along the way. You will see plenty of wildlife and waterfalls as well, and it turns the trip to the visitor's center into a loop instead of an out-and-back so it makes for a great day.

Dang, I wish I knew about this one yesterday. Next time! Thanks!

We vacationed there many times. My Aunt also lives in Loveland so a good excuse to stop there too. It's a blast. Fall River road is fun and I usually take the road bike and ride in the park. Haven't done Trail Ridge road but have ridden up to bear lake. It is probably my favorite park. Estes has some fun stuff to do too.

This road was closed when we were there two weeks ago. Still had some snow pack from what I was told. We really enjoyed the park. The town of Estes was interesting. I found it funny that the town had a bunch of dope smoking liberals but yet every food joint served some type of wild game.
Agree on the elk burgers. They were good.
29814731f0058b3838992017ad0ebc3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always enjoyed RMNP. Several vacations out there and always stayed on the Grand Lake side. One of the trips we drove into the park at dusk and I stopped counting moose at 50 or so because we saw so many. One September I wasn’t elk hunting and we watched the elk rut there for several days and it was absolutely incredible!