10x42 recommendations

reelnmn

FNG
I'm currently running 8x42 Vortex Diamondbacks. They have been mostly sufficient so far but after my mule deer and open desert cow hunt this year I really noticed the eye strain. It's time to buy once and cry once. I'm looking at 10x42s and here's my current list of glass I'm considering as well as the price I've found I can get it at. Hoping to look through a few of these over the next week but would like to have some honest feedback before I do so. Another consideration, I'll also be upgrading my spotter this off season so more money towards binos means less towards the spotter.

Vortex Razor HD - $800
Leica Geovid HD-B $1650
Swarovski SLC HD $1400
Tract toric $550
Zeiss Victory SF $1600

WOOD5045

FNG
I'm very happy with my Swarovski SLC's. Try as many as possible to get a feel of what's best for you. Good luck.

ljalberta

WKR
I have SLC's. The only other pair I have experience with on their is the Vortex Razor. The SLC is certainly the superior optic and I am completely satisfied with my purchase. As for the others, I have no hands on experience, however the resale and customer service reputation of Swaro is what drove me to the SLCs. They seem unmatched in that regard compared to Zeiss/Leica.

handwerk

WKR
I'd go with either the Leicas or Swaros.
This year I'm back to using my 10x42 Geovid HD-Rs, but I also have the swaro SV EL 8.5x42 which is excellent as well. I do like having the RF in my bino, spent all last week behind the Geovids and sure am liking them. But whatever you choose make sure they fit your face/eyes.

Just a couple of thoughts based on my experience. Eye strain can be a result of focus or clarity vs mag.
Personally l like 8x vs 10x in bino's as a all purpose bino.
If I was going to do a bunch of open country type stuff I would be thinking about a spotting scope. Although I think upgrading your bino's is not a bad idea. For your $1600 I think you could upgrade and get both if willing to buy used.

As an example you can find good high quality bino's in the $600 range. I am pretty sure you can find a good spotting scope for $1000.

Good luck

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
try as many as you can, outside if you can, and side by side if you can. Thats how I landed on my Swaro's but I tried several different models and brands too.

svivian

WKR
Slc I think would be the optically best choice after looking through all of the ones listed, but if you really want a rangefinder built in the leicas are the best choice.

rd8

FNG
I would throw another vote in for the Maven B1 10x42's. Switched from Razors and have been very happy. I like the feel and fit for myself more than the SLC's, and the lower price is a nice bonus as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Everyone is going to love the SLC's if price isn't an issue. If you need to add a few models on the lower end of your price range you should check out Zeiss Conquest and Meopta Meostar / Cabelas Euro. Nothing wrong with the Razors, but these two are in the same price range and your eyes may prefer one or both of them.

nexus

FNG
Try as many as you can. After many hours of looking through various glass, I have found my eyes just cannot tell the difference between several of the upper level brands and models - Swaro SLC, Meopta Meostar, Zeiss Victory, and Leica.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
Im very happy with my Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42's. Definitely worth looking at IMO.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'm currently running 8x42 Vortex Diamondbacks. They have been mostly sufficient so far but after my mule deer and open desert cow hunt this year I really noticed the eye strain. It's time to buy once and cry once. I'm looking at 10x42s and here's my current list of glass I'm considering as well as the price I've found I can get it at. Hoping to look through a few of these over the next week but would like to have some honest feedback before I do so. Another consideration, I'll also be upgrading my spotter this off season so more money towards binos means less towards the spotter.

Vortex Razor HD - $800
Leica Geovid HD-B $1650
Swarovski SLC HD $1400
Tract toric $550
Zeiss Victory SF $1600

Where can I buy Swarovski 10x42 SLC for $1400?