10x42 vs 10x50

If similar in size and weight I would go with 10x50 to get the slightly better light gathering ability but, if you're past 40, go with the 10x42 as they will gather virtually all of the light your eyes will need.

Optics come down to three things. How much light you need to run the glass, How much of a field of view do you want in the glass and how much you want to spend.

Each lenses in your bino takes away a % of light that is coming throw your objective lenses. If you aren't able to spend money on the glass witch cuts down on the % lost then you have to counter with the objective size so that you can make the amount of light coming in your glass increase. Surface area of a 50mm bino is 1962.5mm while the 42mm has a surface area of 1384.74mm.

Field of view is another big facture. Basically more zoom makes less light and you cant see as much but you can see farther. Less zoom lets you see more in low light and can see a wider field of view but cant see detail at distance.

Most people go with the 8x42 over the 10x50 because of there mission set. If you are going that low on magnification you dont need the extra power. Most people that need the magnification will jump to the 12x50s or even the 15x56s.

Ok I have made my mind up on the Vortex Diamondback 10x50s. I will be using a tripod so the added weight won't be a big deal. Does anyone have a good lead on any black friday deals for this particular pair? I know Bass Pro/ Cabela's has a good deal on the classic model but I would prefer the new model.

Good call on the Diamondbacks, you'll be happy you did long after the few extra $ is forgotten.
As for the question of 42 vs 50, the 42 gets the nod for me.
I've taken my 10x42 D-backs on a couple elk trips and can tell you, I'm glad they are not the bigger size. They work great too.
Not sure what you're using them for, but if you feel like leaving them behind due to the size, just once...

Come on guys. The guy needs a budget friendly option. You don’t need $1000 Razors to hunt. Sorry. We don’t even know if the area he is hunting is open country or mostly wooded ridge what he is hunting.

FYI. If you search Bushnell Engage in this forum and others, you’ll find lots of excellent reviews comparing them to glass 3-5 times their cost. Amazon recently had some for $150.

I grabbed some of the 10x42 engages on amazon for $160ish and they had a $50 rebate. Look to be every bit as good as my Cabela's intensity HDs.

A nice pair of 10x50 or 12x50s really lets you glass better. Especially at first and last night. The thing with binos that large, you’ll want to have them on tripod for long glassing sessions. Even short sessions holding up that much weight with that much magnification, your sight picture will get jumpy rather quickly.
With light weight 8x40 or 10x40 you can glass without a tripod much longer and they are easy to carry.
Personally, I carry a set of Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides in 12x50 in my FHF large chest harness. Don’t even notice them really, and love the way they glass on a tripod all day. Still light enough to glass by hand for a while as well and they didn’t break the bank cost wise. Probably the best glass for the price right now in my opinion.

Edit: There is a guy selling a pair of these exact binos barely used on here for $475 to your door. Insane deal on an amazing pair of binos. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-bx-4-12x50.144017/

looking at the Leupold bx-4, thanks for recommendation. I hunt open plains and canyons of western KS as well as high country Colorado. Still debating on what size will suite me best.
[/QUOTE]

I moved to 10x50’s a couple of years ago. Well worth a few extra ounces in my opinion. So, much clearer in low light situations.

Back