129 grain SSTs in 6.5 Creedmoor

I’ve been shooting the ELD-X and Sierra GameChanger handloads in my Tikka 6.5. Both have been excellent in accuracy.

I loaded up a ladder of 129 grain SSTs over Superformance to test. I only hunt whitetail deer in Tennessee and my theory is the lighter SST will rapidly expand and I will get more emphatic kills vs pass throughs that sometimes requires tracking jobs.

Anyone load or hunt with the 129 grain SST in their 6.5 Creedmoor?

OP
General RE LEE
I've loaded SSTs over SuperP in the 6.5... not my preferred bullet but it worked like a champ.

Yep I had excellent results with 46.9 grains of Superformance and the 140 grain Sierra GameChanger. I got 2875 FPS out of my 24” barrel Tikka with no ejector marks and very light stiffness in barrel lift. I wasn’t impressed with the performance of the bullet on deer. It’s very tough and zips right through deer.

hodgeman

WKR
Yep I had excellent results with 46.9 grains of Superformance and the 140 grain Sierra GameChanger. I got 2875 FPS out of my 24” barrel Tikka with no ejector marks and very light stiffness in barrel lift. I wasn’t impressed with the performance of the bullet on deer. It’s very tough and zips right through deer.
You won't have that issue with the SST. Depending on the range you hunt at, slowing them down a little bit won't be a bad idea. At full speed, they expand violently.

OP
General RE LEE
You won't have that issue with the SST. Depending on the range you hunt at, slowing them down a little bit won't be a bad idea. At full speed, they expand violently.

My target is to get 2750-2800 FPS primarily for the forgiveness of a flat shooting cartridge. I’ve been in a discussion on another forum about high SD and heavy for caliber 6.5 bullets not being the best fit for thin skinned white tails to put them down quick. Lighter bullets with lower sectional densities will get more rapid expansion and dump more energy inside the deer.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve been in a discussion on another forum about high SD and heavy for caliber 6.5 bullets not being the best fit for thin skinned white tails to put them down quick. Lighter bullets with lower sectional densities will get more rapid expansion and dump more energy inside the deer.

That’s not how it works. Lighter weight doesn’t automatically mean more expansion. It’s bullet design and impact velocity. And it’s not about “dumping energy” it’s placemat, and wound channel size- which is controlled by construction of the bullet and impact velocity.

The 129gr SST creates a wide wound channel and kills very well.

Okhotnik

WKR
That’s not how it works. Lighter weight doesn’t automatically mean more expansion. It’s bullet design and impact velocity. And it’s not about “dumping energy” it’s placemat, and wound channel size- which is controlled by construction of the bullet and impact velocity.

The 129gr SST creates a wide wound channel and kills very well.
Yep

Accurate bullets and have taken many deer. They sure do make a large wound channel but very effective IMO. Ive transitioned over to the eldx

jeffpg

WKR
I haven’t tried this combination out yet but plan to soon.
Based on my experience with this bullet it should be just about perfect for deer sized game in the mild mannered Creedmoor.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I shoot my Tikka .260 which is near identical to your 6.5 cm. The 129 grain SSTs are my favorite killing bullet.

Speaking specifically about the animal in question, I usually kill 3 big northern whitetails per year. You hit vitals with the 129 grain SST and I promise the deer isn’t going anywhere. Most are bang flop. Sometimes they run maybe 20-30 yards and then collapse.

I hit one slightly back a couple years ago with the same bullet. Broad side lung was sliced through, destroyed 3 ribs clean through, and found the bullet buried up into the spine. The deer never took a step and was dead when I got to her about 3 minutes after the shot. Big deer too… 185 lb doe gutted.

Photo from 2019. All of these deer were shot with 129 grain SSTs. 3 with Tikka .260 and 2 with a Christensen 6.5 CM.

9941F9A4-8E6D-495B-9DA5-0A8183D0ED83.jpeg
4E9EFFCF-445E-440E-8530-8CE7FB8BA3D0.jpeg

2five7

WKR
The SST and the ELD-X will have basically the same terminal performance. If you want faster expansion, try the ELD-M, or the A-MAX.b

OP
General RE LEE
I shoot my Tikka .260 which is near identical to your 6.5 cm. The 129 grain SSTs are my favorite killing bullet.

Speaking specifically about the animal in question, I usually kill 3 big northern whitetails per year. You hit vitals with the 129 grain SST and I promise the deer isn’t going anywhere. Most are bang flop. Sometimes they run maybe 20-30 yards and then collapse.

I hit one slightly back a couple years ago with the same bullet. Broad side lung was sliced through, destroyed 3 ribs clean through, and found the bullet buried up into the spine. The deer never took a step and was dead when I got to her about 3 minutes after the shot. Big deer too… 185 lb doe gutted.

Photo from 2019. All of these deer were shot with 129 grain SSTs. 3 with Tikka .260 and 2 with a Christensen 6.5 CM.

View attachment 357633
View attachment 357634

Wow thank you. That's a great testimony. I will proceed with confidence lol

This given ammo shortage I found a bunch of hornady factory 6.5 CM in 129 SST. I took a 256 yard shot and he dropped like a rock. Rounds shot under 1/2” out of T3X Veil model. I believe in them and have my trust for all deer. Wound Chanel was amazing. Only reason I’m loading other bullets for elk if my son goes. And then it’s the ELDX or a solid projectile.

I also appreciate the feedback on 6.5 SST.
A good friend has used the Hornady Superformance factory 6.5x55 ammo in both 129g SST (now discontinued) & 140gr SST on a few whitetails and he was very pleased. Bang-flop & fist-sized exit. Factory ammo didn't shoot in my rifle, but I am looking at 129g SST & H4350 for next year.

OP
General RE LEE
I also appreciate the feedback on 6.5 SST.
A good friend has used the Hornady Superformance factory 6.5x55 ammo in both 129g SST (now discontinued) & 140gr SST on a few whitetails and he was very pleased. Bang-flop & fist-sized exit. Factory ammo didn't shoot in my rifle, but I am looking at 129g SST & H4350 for next year.

H4350 and the 129 grain SST shows slow velocity per manual. I will see how Superformance does and if it doesn’t work I will go to H4350. I’d like to get 2800 FPS if possible.

hodgeman

WKR
In my 6.5, SuperP is the fastest and most accurate powder I've tried. A max book charge netted me 2650 with the 143 ELDX from an 18" barrel and 2800fps with the 129SST in the same rifle.

Same load in my 24' barreled MPR went 100fps faster on both.

H4350 and the 129 grain SST shows slow velocity per manual. I will see how Superformance does and if it doesn’t work I will go to H4350. I’d like to get 2800 FPS if possible.

Depending of course on your rifle I think 2,800 fps is possible.

Not same exact bullet, but Hornady 6.5 Creed 'American Whitetail' 129g Interlock factory load is showing 2,820 fps. A bud used my chronograph to check that load in a new Ruger barrel and he was very close.

I've had good results in my son's Creed with 129 SST's and W760. W760 acts nearly the same as Superformance according to the manual. Gets right around 2800 from a 20" barrel with 3/4" accuracy. He killed an elk at about 150 yds, one shot DRT. Then he shot a muley a few weeks later, and the results were interesting. It was a clean broadside shot @216 yds. Went in behind the front shoulder and exited the same spot on the opposite side. Pencil size entrance, thumb size exit. Not quite what I expected on a large muley, I thought expansion would be more violent like it was on the elk. The deer sprinted about 200 yds before it died in dense timber and it took us quite a while to find it. The next muley he shot had violent expansion and the deer just fell down. I haven't ever seen an SST pencil through like it did on the first muley, and I haven't seen it since. My family has killed a LOT of animals with the SST in various calibers from 6mm to 338 with velocities ranging from 2625 to around 3400. They kill the animal that you hit in the vitals every single time. Use them with full confidence.

OP
General RE LEE
I've had good results in my son's Creed with 129 SST's and W760. W760 acts nearly the same as Superformance according to the manual. Gets right around 2800 from a 20" barrel with 3/4" accuracy. He killed an elk at about 150 yds, one shot DRT. Then he shot a muley a few weeks later, and the results were interesting. It was a clean broadside shot @216 yds. Went in behind the front shoulder and exited the same spot on the opposite side. Pencil size entrance, thumb size exit. Not quite what I expected on a large muley, I thought expansion would be more violent like it was on the elk. The deer sprinted about 200 yds before it died in dense timber and it took us quite a while to find it. The next muley he shot had violent expansion and the deer just fell down. I haven't ever seen an SST pencil through like it did on the first muley, and I haven't seen it since. My family has killed a LOT of animals with the SST in various calibers from 6mm to 338 with velocities ranging from 2625 to around 3400. They kill the animal that you hit in the vitals every single time. Use them with full confidence.

Thank you for the testimonial. Maybe the bullet missed ribs and zipped right through the hide and the soft vital organs?

OP
General RE LEE
I loaded up a ladder of charges and got a sub MOA group with 45.9 grains of Superformance for 2819 FPS. I’ve loaded up 30 rounds and going to dial it in at 100 yards. Should be a deer thumper.