15x vs spotter…again

Ucsdryder

WKR
Alright, here’s a tweak to a popular question. How far can you judge elk with your 15s on a tripod? Hand holding alpha 10s I struggle to see much more than cow vs bull at 1000 yards. I was scouting this weekend for a rifle hunt and it became apparent that 10s aren’t enough. This is BIG country and “getting closer to see if it’s a shooter” isn’t ideal as it will likely require a 1000+ foot elevation climb.

My first thought was a spotter, but someone suggested 15s. I don’t need to tell a 280 from a 300 bull, but I need to tell a 300 from a 240. Can you do that at a mile with 15s? Closer? Farther?

first picture is 975 and second 1500. You can see the bull in the second, he’s wallowed up.

Attachments

• 2B8A7EEE-9C54-47C5-A547-D993EBC86E83.jpeg
    2B8A7EEE-9C54-47C5-A547-D993EBC86E83.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 79E022F3-F780-4708-A4AF-586823D790DA.jpeg
    79E022F3-F780-4708-A4AF-586823D790DA.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 161

S.Clancy

WKR
Get a tripod for your 10x

I can go over a mile with 10x and about 2 miles with 15x. Depending on conditions
This. You'll need a tripod for 15s or a spotter anyway. Start with 10s on a good tripod and it will prob meet your needs

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I just got chastised over next for not having a tripod. Apparently I’m missing out! Lol

Okkkkk…I’ll start there. Now to figure out which light weight tripod.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have been using 10s on a tripod for several years looking for deer, game changer!

I have a cheap carbon tripod from Amazon, under 100$, folds up really short, can glass standing and is light.

It is no longer their but there are similar options, no way I’m spending 300 plus on a tripod for binos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buelrdr29

FNG
Tripod mounted is the way to go! No matter the optic size. Big binos rock as well. Just got 18x56s and tried them out last weekend. They are way easier to find things than a spotter. FOV is very helpful and better in low light compared to my lower class 65mm spotter.

Check out the Slik tripods. I bought the 634 and it is tall enough for standing and small enough for packing and sitting. Can get with their 501 video head and is a good setup for $300. Also had the vortex ssp, it is decent and probably one of the lightest options. Not tall enough for bino glassing while standing.

sndmn11

WKR
I just got chastised over next for not having a tripod. Apparently I’m missing out! Lol

Okkkkk…I’ll start there. Now to figure out which light weight tripod.

Lightweight tripods are fool's gold. For an extra pound to two, you can have a rock solid foundation that doesn't vibrate when you breathe and there's a breeze.

fatrascal

WKR
I guess I'm the oddball in the group but I feel like a 10 power bino and a 20x60 spotter has been and still is the cream of spotting. First off if a person can see elk at a mile with 10 power bino's and two miles with 15 power bino's then how far can you see elk with a spotter that starts on the low end at 20 power? Were just getting started. We are talking about a zoom magnification that tops out at 60 power. How many miles can you spot elk at 60 power? I don't know the answer to that question but its a hell of a lot further than 15 power bino's. And how far away can you tell the difference between a 240 bull and a 300 bull with 15 power binos as compared to a 60 power spotter? Sure, there are times conditions won't allow you to use the full capability of 60 power but there will be other times you can. And when you cannot use 60 power you will still be able to use 45 or 30 power. So your capabilities with a spotter far out weigh your capabilities with 15 power bino's. If you feel a 20x60 spotter is too heavy then get a 50mm spotter which still usually zooms out to 45 power. I absolutely love bino's on a tripod but I truley believe 15 power bino's are not even on the same level or category or comparable to a spotter. 15 bino's are sweet but its not even fair to compare them to the benefits of a spotting scope. So to sum up my opinion I will say that I'm trying to save you some money. Once you have 10 power binos and 20x60 spotter or 15x45 spotter well there is no need for a middle man powered bino. But if you can afford it then by all means, get every optic tool that you can get.
Some people will say that with a spotter you will find game that is too far away to hunt. Sometimes that is true but you can always move toward that far away elk herd for the next day. I mean why are we out there anyways? To hunt game that is near or far. Im not going to ignore game that is far away just because its far away. Sometimes you only see game that is far away and there is not any close to you. So I'd rather cover all my bases and 15 power binos do not have that capability. Fatrascal.

Coueser

FNG
Depends on how much weight you want to lug around as well. Personally, I had a spotter to go with 12x binos on tripod. I HATED looking through the spotter. Granted my 12s were alpha and my spotter was not. I found I enjoyed glassing more and did a lot more looking through my 12s. I think you would find you spend more time glassing with a good tripod and 15s and see what you’re wanting to see but I admit I’m not a fan of spotters

Blue72

WKR
I guess I'm the oddball in the group but I feel like a 10 power bino and a 20x60 spotter has been and still is the cream of spotting. First off if a person can see elk at a mile with 10 power bino's and two miles with 15 power bino's then how far can you see elk with a spotter that starts on the low end at 20 power? Were just getting started. We are talking about a zoom magnification that tops out at 60 power. How many miles can you spot elk at 60 power? I don't know the answer to that question but its a hell of a lot further than 15 power bino's. And how far away can you tell the difference between a 240 bull and a 300 bull with 15 power binos as compared to a 60 power spotter? Sure, there are times conditions won't allow you to use the full capability of 60 power but there will be other times you can. And when you cannot use 60 power you will still be able to use 45 or 30 power. So your capabilities with a spotter far out weigh your capabilities with 15 power bino's. If you feel a 20x60 spotter is too heavy then get a 50mm spotter which still usually zooms out to 45 power. I absolutely love bino's on a tripod but I truley believe 15 power bino's are not even on the same level or category or comparable to a spotter. 15 bino's are sweet but its not even fair to compare them to the benefits of a spotting scope. So to sum up my opinion I will say that I'm trying to save you some money. Once you have 10 power binos and 20x60 spotter or 15x45 spotter well there is no need for a middle man powered bino. But if you can afford it then by all means, get every optic tool that you can get.
Some people will say that with a spotter you will find game that is too far away to hunt. Sometimes that is true but you can always move toward that far away elk herd for the next day. I mean why are we out there anyways? To hunt game that is near or far. Im not going to ignore game that is far away just because its far away. Sometimes you only see game that is far away and there is not any close to you. So I'd rather cover all my bases and 15 power binos do not have that capability. Fatrascal.

its not that simple. There is more then just magnification. Binoculars have an advantage of “effective aperture”. This is a real thing. since There are two objective lens to a 56mm binocular that actually acts like a 80mm scope, so you see more detail. In addition our brain is designed to see in stereo not mono. So we are more comfortable using binoculars and once again see more detail

this Is a challenge I suggest. Observe people at the two mile mark with really good 12x binoculars on a tripod to a scope at 20x magnification. What you might conclude is that the image scale is not dramatic enough to carry the spotter and the binoculars are way more comfortable to use.

fatrascal

WKR
I agree with Blue72 that looking with two eyes is very nice. I used to owne the 15's but sold them years ago. I currently owne the BTX system and absolutely love it. But if I could only afford a couple of optics or if I was concerned about weight then the 10 power binos and spotter is my go to weapons of choice. If you've ever looked through a quality pair of 10 power binos on a tripod then you know they are very adequate. 15's on a tripod are nice but again I say they are an unneaded middle optic. Besides, the 15 power binos are only 5 more power than the 10 power binos. Not a lot of difference. But then you jump to a 20 power spotter which is double the 10 power bino. Now you are making a difference. Then you have the zoom capability with variable power up to 60 power. The 15's just cannot compete with the spotter. The issue of using one eye for the spotter is really not a huge issue. Sure your eye gets tired and fatigued but your eye gets stronger the more you use it. After a day or two its not noticeable and becomes second nature. I'm really not trying to put down or diss the 15's, I just think there are better choices and you asked for opinions so I'm giving you an opinion. No matter which way you choose to go you will increase your hunting odds with good quality optics and either option will work. But my way is best, lol, just joking. It depends on the individual. Fatrascal.

craigrh13

FNG
After using a spotter I am definitely team binos on a tripod. I did not care for a spotter at all. Spotters are good for trying to read band numbers or neck collars on birds. That’s about it for my use.

Fatcamp

WKR
Just spent 5 days with 15x on a tripod.

I am a fan. Not sure about carrying 8x and 15x. Wondering if 12x is the answer.

Just spent 5 days with 15x on a tripod.

I am a fan. Not sure about carrying 8x and 15x. Wondering if 12x is the answer.
Use your range finder for quick looks at shorter distances. Regularly use my Sig (7x) for this when I’m carrying my SLC 15s. If I needs “more”, it’s very easy to rest my 15s on a trekking pole.

Fatcamp

WKR
Use your range finder for quick looks at shorter distances. Regularly use my Sig (7x) for this when I’m carrying my SLC 15s. If I needs “more”, it’s very easy to rest my 15s on a trekking pole.

IDK. I still hunt. Tried using my rangefinder, it's a 1600 Leupold. It has this weird blue tint to it. Didn't work at all.

I glass with a quality pair 10.5X on a tripod, and a pair of 8X33s in a bino pack for offhanding. A lightweight Kowa 554 spotter is always in my pack and ready when needed. That may not be too often, but it is invaluable when it is. I'll gladly carry it all week just to use it for, maybe, 5 or 10 minutes.

Putting together an optical system is a very personal, subjective decision. What works for others, might not be right for you. Only your personal experiences can dictate what you need.

Last edited:

KP87

FNG
What tripod are people running with their binos? I have a pair of 10x and did some glassing for mule deer for my first time and I couldn't keep them still to save my life. Also I think bumping up to a 12 or 15x would be very beneficial.

I was going to go the combo spotter and bino route but it's more weight than I want to carry. Seems like good binos should get the job done.