I bought a diamondback spotter, did i mess up?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not to contradict, but context for the pics is important. I think at 1000 yards in that light, a good pair of 10x binos are going to show what a non trophy hunter is looking for most of the time.

A good test is 15-20 minutes before sunset through them. And, at 1 mile and 2 miles.

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
Not to contradict, but context for the pics is important. I think at 1000 yards in that light, a good pair of 10x binos are going to show what a non trophy hunter is looking for most of the time.

A good test is 15-20 minutes before sunset through them. And, at 1 mile and 2 miles.
If you’re referring to the pictures I posted: The very last thing I typed into the message with photos was the distance the photos were taken at. Knowing that, I was surprised when you asked about the distance. The pictures were taken facing east at 8:05am June 5th 2023. So approximately 2.5hrs after sunrise.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you’re referring to the pictures I posted: The very last thing I typed into the message with photos was the distance the photos were taken at. Knowing that, I was surprised when you asked about the distance. The pictures were taken facing east at 8:05am June 5th 2023. So approximately 2.5hrs after sunrise.
Sorry, missed the distance. Was multitasking.

OP
T
+1

I have owned two and they are great for shorter distances. And "just in case" as they are so dang light and compact there's no reason not to bring one if already carrying a tripod for binocs.

Not familiar, I’ll check them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
I’m starting to look into the used market much more. It seems that’s the way to go. I’m not overly picky on brand so just looking for good deals in higher end glass.

If your looking for budget glass this is a good resource

Marshfly

WKR
I’m starting to look into the used market much more. It seems that’s the way to go. I’m not overly picky on brand so just looking for good deals in higher end glass.

Right now will be the time for sure. Just check FB marketplace a couple times a day. If you find a good deal on the Leupold gold Ring, make sure it’s the Hd model.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Right now will be the time for sure. Just check FB marketplace a couple times a day. If you find a good deal on the Leupold gold Ring, make sure it’s the Hd model.

That is the one piece of good info. Make sure you ask for the specific model and pics of it. I messed up on buying an older version than I thought.

Marshfly

WKR
That is the one piece of good info. Make sure you ask for the specific model and pics of it. I messed up on buying an older version than I thought.

I looked at a ton of those Leupys that people wanted Hd prices for non HD spotters. Just gave up and went the Nikon route for a compact and love it.

The Nikons really are a hidden gem. And the eyepieces fit all the models all the way to an 80mm class spotter.

OP
T
There you go.

On another note, what did you think of the tripod?

I was actually a little disappointed in it as well. It only weighs 3 oz less than my sirui and is 6-8 inches shorter at full height. The head sucks too, but I’m spoiled with a fluid on mine so can’t really compare that part of it.

Marshfly

WKR
I was actually a little disappointed in it as well. It only weighs 3 oz less than my sirui and is 6-8 inches shorter at full height. The head sucks too, but I’m spoiled with a fluid on mine so can’t really compare that part of it.

Yeah the head is junk. Had I known more I would probably have gone a different direction. What Sirui do you have?

OP
T
T-004sk

Guys at camera land hooked me up. It’s treated me well.

OP
T
So let me add a new layer to this. Part of the reason I’m looking for a new one, is I’m a bit of an ounce counter. Originally I was looking for a compact until I found this deal and couldn’t pass it up. Now that I’m sending it back, I’m back on the size/weight game.

I found several vortex razor 11-33x50s for close to my price range on here used.

Good move? Bad move? Someone sell me one way or the other lol

Marshfly

WKR
So let me add a new layer to this. Part of the reason I’m looking for a new one, is I’m a bit of an ounce counter. Originally I was looking for a compact until I found this deal and couldn’t pass it up. Now that I’m sending it back, I’m back on the size/weight game.

I found several vortex razor 11-33x50s for close to my price range on here used.

Good move? Bad move? Someone sell me one way or the other lol

Nikon ED 50 if you are counting ounces. Zero question.
I use the KDC Granite Peak Tripod for those and my binoculars. Zero reason to carry a full size tripod for bino and compact spotter use.

Last edited:

Marshfly

WKR
c236a1d877edd43f66ba67193f04cf74.jpg

For binoculars and spotting scopes - After years of wasting money and time - wondering why people could see things I never did - I came upon the conclusion if it doesn’t say Swarovski or Leica - I am not allowed to buy them -
My wife told me that is the rule… I gave away one of those vortex spotters this deer season to a new guy so he didn’t waste his money . I have vortex and Steiner binoculars that will be given away also.