16.5” .243 or 6.5CM?

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I got a gift card for a new rifle and will be buying a tikka and cutting it to 16.5” for my suppressor. Application is for whitetail out to 500 yards. I’m trying to to decide between a 8” twist 243 or a 6.5CM. I handload so I can get the benefit out of the fast twist 243. Trying to decide in the next day or two to take advantage of the rebate.

I pretty set on the tikka in these calibers and already have a .223 RSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you. Do you mind explaining why?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you. Do you mind explaining why?

With a fast twist, I can hand load the high BC bullets from 95 to 108s in the 243 and will have better exterior ballistics and the same terminal ballistics as the 6.5 cm. The .243 with fast twist is pretty much the same as a 6 creed, except availability of factory match ammo. But, even with factory ammo in .243 with light bullets, inside 500 yards, velocity matters more than BC.

If you have the .223 RSS, I assume you know that bullet choice/terminal velocity are all that matters for killing, and that precision matters most cause you gotta deliver any bullet to the vitals.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
That makes sense, thank you.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure about the AI process, but is it worth talking to my gunsmith about having it Improved while he has the barrel off to thread?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m not sure about the AI process, but is it worth talking to my gunsmith about having it Improved while he has the barrel off to thread?

The AI process changes the chamber/brass shape to be more like a Creedmoor. The AI brass has less body taper and sharper shoulder angle. You get some added benefits, additional velocity with more powder capacity, less brass growth, etc.

The drawback is you have to "fireform" brass. But, you can just shoot factory .243 ammo and out pops a .243 AI. From there, its a load and shoot like normal.

I don't know that I would worry about paying to have it AI unless you want to squeeze everything out of it and will replace it with another AI barrel when you burn it out.

If I were going to change anything about the chamber on a new factory rifle, I would just sell the .243 and install a prefit in 6 creedmoor. Then, when you burn the first barrel, you just buy another 6 creed and keep going. I'd rather invest in the 6 Creed once for lots of other reasons.

If you plan on rebarreling, check out whether you want to get a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for the better resale value.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Having a 223 trainer, I highly doubt I will shoot the barrel out on this one anytime soon. Good point on leaving it 243, I have other 243s and it will be nice not having to separate out the brass. If handloading, what benefits do the 6cm give over the fast twist 243 with the same projectile?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Having a 223 trainer, I highly doubt I will shoot the barrel out on this one anytime soon. Good point on leaving it 243, I have other 243s and it will be nice not having to separate out the brass. If handloading, what benefits do the 6cm give over the fast twist 243 with the same projectile?

A little velocity and easier to find a load for. Not worth setting up for a new caliber if you already have .243 and are going to get the Tikka.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Probably going to get one of these two tomorrow. Any additional last minute input?

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I actually ended up getting the 1:8” .243 and the 6.5CM. Right now I am working on the .243 I have loaded the 108eldm to mag length with H1000 and it is showing a lot of promise. I only have a couple dozen rounds down the barrel right now but want to get a base line for MV with the load I am shooting before I decide where I will cut it to. I hope to get it to the gunsmith next week.

sveltri

WKR
I actually ended up getting the 1:8” .243 and the 6.5CM. Right now I am working on the .243 I have loaded the 108eldm to mag length with H1000 and it is showing a lot of promise. I only have a couple dozen rounds down the barrel right now but want to get a base line for MV with the load I am shooting before I decide where I will cut it to. I hope to get it to the gunsmith next week.

I'm getting ready to start load dev with my 243AI 108's and H1000, what kind of velocity are you getting?

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting ready to start load dev with my 243AI 108's and H1000, what kind of velocity are you getting?
Not a tikka factory barrel, but generally get 3150-3225 out of 26" handlapped barrels, both cut and button rifled. I have not shot anything lighter than 115s in my 28" barrels, but I get about an extra 100 fps there over the same load in a 26" barrel. I would assume there would be a pretty good velocity penalty for going short with H1000.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I have not run it through the chrono yet. Will do that in the next couple days. Honestly just been playing with it seeing how it shoots. I started with 46gr of H1000 and saw no pressure signs. It shot 15 to around 1.3 MOA.

TxLite

WKR
I have not run it through the chrono yet. Will do that in the next couple days. Honestly just been playing with it seeing how it shoots. I started with 46gr of H1000 and saw no pressure signs. It shot 15 to around 1.3 MOA.
How did things turn out?

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
How did things turn out?

To be honest my suppressor blew up shooting my 300wm not long after that post and I just received it back. That kinda but a damper on things.

199p

FNG
To be honest my suppressor blew up shooting my 300wm not long after that post and I just received it back. That kinda but a damper on things.

Bro thats average

I run a 16" 6.5cm with a can and it shoots 143eldx factory ammo at 2530fps shoots steel to 700y and have taken red deer to 380y with it.

SloppyJ

WKR
Interested in the velocities when you get them figured out. I'm trying to decide on an 18" or 16.5" proof right now.