168 Berger from chamber throated for 195s

Broz

WKR
Good input
Have you used the 180 vld targets on elk?
I tried the 180 Hybrids also that season, they too were more explosive. The 180 VLD or 180 H VLD held together better. Lower impact velocities would help with these issues I am sure, but I would just change bullets if I could get them.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
We've killed three cow elk with the 195s. All three cows took three or more to anchor them. All were shot threw the lungs on the first shot. This poor girl was shot six times by me. The first two were in the lungs somehow she stayed with the herd. I shot her a few more times with questionable shot placement to try to get her down. Finally had to shoot her in in the head at 80 yards. After talking to Broz and watching a few videos Bob Beck put out with follow up shots I moved on. Shoot them in the shoulder for best results I guess!

8fadc0b14f839b8fa98d0fc70ddd3517.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

SouthPaw

WKR
We've killed three cow elk with the 195s. All three cows took three or more to anchor them. All were shot threw the lungs on the first shot. This poor girl was shot six times by me. The first two were in the lungs somehow she stayed with the herd. I shot her a few more times with questionable shot placement to try to get her down. Finally had to shoot her in in the head at 80 yards. After talking to Broz and watching a few videos Bob Beck put out with follow up shots I moved on. Shoot them in the shoulder for best results I guess!
Thank you Ryan for sharing your experience, certainly raises an eyebrow. What kind of impact speeds on these elk, shooting 28 nosler realm or slower? Did the autopsy show too rapid of expansion with not enough penetration damage to the vitals? It seems they aren't working as designed to take 3-6 shots with a good lung hit not getting it done.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I got the 180 vlds and loaded a few up tonight, turns out the bearing surface seated just above the neck shoulder junction is right at .060 jump.
I think my new 7 Max is throated the same because just eyeballing that's about what I came up with as well with the 180 Targets. What powder are you burning in that monster?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I tried the 180 Hybrids also that season, they too were more explosive. The 180 VLD or 180 H VLD held together better. Lower impact velocities would help with these issues I am sure, but I would just change bullets if I could get them.
Broz did you guys try 180eldm’s by chance. I only have a sample size of 2, a mature bull and an antelope, results were good. Need to shoot 20-30 more animals to get a good reading on them though!

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Broz did you guys try 180eldm’s by chance. I only have a sample size of 2, a mature bull and an antelope, results were good. Need to shoot 20-30 more animals to get a good reading on them though!
I shot a mature muley with a 180 ELDM shortly after they came out.
The range was 450 and it flat blew a softball sized hole through him, if I could find any it's what I'd use.
Just don't shoot an elk in the shoulder with one..

Ucsdryder

WKR
I shot a mature muley with a 180 ELDM shortly after they came out.
The range was 450 and it flat blew a softball sized hole through him, if I could find any it's what I'd use.
Just don't shoot an elk in the shoulder with one..
I have a few boxes left but haven’t seen them for a long time! I was really impressed with their performance this year. 3 exits on 2 elk and an antelope.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
Alright so I got the 168 VLDs and here's what I came up with.
I'm jumping them .135 and with the first load I tried they're grouping 1" at 200 yards with a MV of 2925.
I shot 3 groups over the chrony and each was right at 1" or slightly less, I'm pleasantly surprised to say the least
I took it out to 550 and slammed 3 in a row into a 12" plate, I shot another round at a tennis ball sized rock at 600 and missed by inches with my wind, call elevation was perfect.
Given the track record of the 168,and the awesome velocity from my short barrel, I'll probably be sticking with it over the 180 targets.

Shots 1-3 were in strong crosswinds
Shots 4-5 were shot 20 minutes later after the wind calmed down
20220425_155919.jpg
I cleaned the barrel, dropped the charge .5 grains and shot .5 moa with the fouler
20220425_190005.jpg