1st day at the range with my new t3

ST52v

WKR
I left the range Saturday with mixed feelings. I decided to start with a half of a box of federals loaded with 150 grain barnes. The first 5 shots I cleaned the barrel after each shot and worked on zeroing the scope. Wonce close I shot a 3 shot group. They were strung vertically with a small gap between each shot. Probably 1" or less. I was happy. Then I tried it again and got a 1.5-2" group. I then switched to a box of nosler trophy grade loaded with 140 accubonds. I never got a group close to 1" at 100 yds. Before I pull the plug I shot a few at 300 yds. My brother used his phone app and said 12 clicks. I adjusted my scope and sent 2 down range. They hit about 6 inches above the bull and I could cover them with a snuff can. 2.5 " s apart. I took the 12 clicks off and shot 3 more rounds. The gun was good and cool. First round went 6 low and the last 2 were in the bull 2.5 inches apart. I will try to put up some pics. I am heading to the range on Wednesday. I am going to shoot it with a hold on it. I was allowing free recoil and will try something different. Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed. Thanks Robin

OP
S

ST52v

WKR
100yds fed. Barnes 150
IMG_0176_zps38d04641.jpg

OP
S

ST52v

WKR
This is a good example of the groups I was getting. The three holes marked with marker were from my gun. The 2 unmarked were from my father in laws new t3.
2013-08-17_15-36-15_628_zpsdc018b5e.jpg

OP
S

ST52v

WKR
This was the other 300 yd group. The one that went low is just out of the pic.
2013-08-17_16-01-49_18_zps556403ff.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure your trigger is light and keep shooting. If those two loads don't work, try something else. I'm yet to see a T3 that won't shoot sub moa.

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
My t3 took ~50 rounds to break in and now its a track driver. Keep shooting it will come around.

more rounds, and my tikka t3's have preferred federal fusion or federal premium ammo's...most rifles I try prefer federal premium ballistic tips/accubonds over anyone else's ballistic tips/accubonds...and fusions always seem accurate

your tikka will be fine, get more rounds on it, and try some federal, fusion, maybe even Winchester...use cheap soft point federal/win for breaking in and getting to know gun...when your ready take one of those targets with around 9 bulls on it at 100 yards and have half dozen ammo's you might like and do one five shot group with each ammo moving from bull to bull and you'll get a good idea what it likes and what you end up choosing

p.s. I've tried nosler ammo too, did not shoot nearly as good as the federal premium, I've had better luck with Winchester than nosler

aron

WKR
What do you have for a scope on your rifle? Are you using the Tikka factory rings? Make sure they are tight. Were you cleaning your rifle in between the 100 and 300 yd groups? That could change your POI.

Shrek

WKR
Try the hold. In my experience a light rifle needs a firm hold. I think it has to do with how it settles back onto the rest. A light rifle is much more challenging to shoot well. I'm not a fusion bullet fan myself. It's the only bullet I've had fail for me twice. Totally shattered twice on shoulders of 160lb whitetails. I think both were 243 win . I had bought them for inexpensive bonded bullets as there were hogs on the property. I quit the fusions and the 243 and went back to my trusty 7-08. It had been the GIF talking .

a little off topic but most barrels take a couple shots to "foul" before settling into good group mode. cleaning after each shot is good for breaking in but not grouping. am in the habit of cleaning a rifle good before leaving range then put a couple more downrange to finish the job......

OP
S

ST52v

WKR
Thanks for all the replies folks! I only cleaned it after each of the first 5 shots or so. The barrel was not cleaned again. I mounted a burris c4 4-14-42 with warne steel rings made for the tikka. I wanted to shoot today but was unable. I want to see if holding the rifle and controlling the recoil will help. I'm not interested in shooting non elk killing bullets. I will keep shooting and trying different rounds. I just got my Nosler trophy grade loaded in the 168 long range accubonds. They were blems and I sorted them out. I quickly noticed they had run out issues. I have 1 box thats pretty good and another that needs to be put through the hornady lock n load tool and corrected. My brother also loaded up some test loads with rotumbo and 168 berrger classic hunting bullets. I will keep posting results as I get them. By the time I get things broke in I will have plenty of brass to get loaded up. Thanks again Robin

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
My buddy just brought down his Remington 700 in .300 WM to sight in for his bear hunt this weekend.

Well it wasn't shooting worth a crap so I told him to grab his new T3 in 7mm mag and we would throw a load together really quick for the weekend.

First, we put 20 rounds through his T3 last weekend while cleaning every couple shots. These were some mid range loads with 160 grain Accubonds.

Today I loaded some 168 grain Berger classic hunters with 70.7 grains of Ramshot Magnum. I seated the bullets so they would just fit in the magazine.

He shot one shot and adjusted his scope a little.

Two more shots which were .5 inch apart and he adjusted the scope just a little more.

I had him shoot two more shots to make sure he was zeroed where he wanted and those two shots were touching.

I figured that would work for this weekend and sent him on his way with ten more rounds for his bear hunt.

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka T3 in 300 wsm and it took almost 130 rounds to break in. I was completely disappointed with mine before that point. My first 2 rounds would be touching and the third round would be 2 inches low left. It didn't matter what ammo I used either. I was shooting off of a lead sled and had a buddy identically duplicate my results. When we cleaned it thoroughly I noticed a little area on the patch that ended up being a slight imperfection from the factory. Once that imperfection was worn out the rifle became a tack driver. It was very difficult for me to have faith that it would some day shoot well but I will tell you to keep putting rounds through it and continue with the break in process. I reload for mine and it now shoots 5 shot groups at 100 yds that can be covered by a nickel. I will post a picture.

Liljozie495

Lil-Rokslider
Cannot go wrong with the t3 in 300wsm, Justin I gotta still get with you and see what we can design for a load for my rifle still i the offer is still valid, iv been shooting my 180gr trophy bonds, guess once I got the last 2 of 8 boxes shot up the barrel should be well broke in and ready for some reloading :) lol

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah the offer still stands man. I think I gave you my number? PM me if not.

I will be pretty busy for a while since I'll be hunting pretty much every weekend from Labor day to the middle of November.