Direct Thread Suppressors; Swapping Back and Forth Between Rifles at Range

I will preface this question by saying I know the solution is to own multiple cans but...

...anyone found any issues swapping a direct thread can between two rifles at the range in regards to change in POI? For example I've got two Tikkas 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor and at range I will shoot a group with one, take off can and install on the other, shoot a group with it so on and so on.

My take would be as long as your hand tightening each time shouldn't be an issue but would like feedback.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
I will preface this question by saying I know the solution is to own multiple cans but...

...anyone found any issues swapping a direct thread can between two rifles at the range in regards to change in POI? For example I've got two Tikkas 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor and at range I will shoot a group with one, take off can and install on the other, shoot a group with it so on and so on.

My take would be as long as your hand tightening each time shouldn't be an issue but would like feedback.
I swap suppressors rifle to rifle daily. No problems at all.

Poi with and without the suppressor will be different though if that’s what you’re asking.

OP
General RE LEE
I swap suppressors rifle to rifle daily. No problems at all.

Poi with and without the suppressor will be different though if that’s what you’re asking.

No just asking if installing suppressor multiple times on a range trip affects POI.

slowelk

WKR
I've experienced no problems/POI change with doing this. I did ultimately get a second suppressor so I could shoot more in range scenarios due to heat buildup in the suppressor and mirage. If I could find a lightweight suppressor cover I'd be happy.

Just take an oven mitt so you don’t burn yourself.
Highly encourage people to buy suppressor covers. They don't make a difference on a hunt but when shooting at the range they do a lot for mitigating mirage and they let you grab your suppressor when it's hot.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Highly encourage people to buy suppressor covers. They don't make a difference on a hunt but when shooting at the range they do a lot for mitigating mirage and they let you grab your suppressor when it's hot.
I have a bunch of them. Still havnt got one I really like. One is the “devour” that came with my banish 30, it’s trash like everything else silencer central makes. I have an apocalypse designs which is probably the best of what I have. Lastly the FHF get one is pretty mid level.

I have a bunch of them. Still havnt got one I really like. One is the “devour” that came with my banish 30, it’s trash like everything else silencer central makes. I have an apocalypse designs which is probably the best of what I have. Lastly the FHF get one is pretty mid level.
I use Armageddon suppresser covers right now but when I get home next week and measure my 338 Ultra, I'm going to order a cover from Can Chaps. Heard nothing but great stuff about them. It's not that I hate the Armageddon covers I'm just wondering if there's something better.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I have not had POI problems with my rifle and its can.

So I don't see why it would be any different swapping it over from rifle to rifle. To clarify, each rifle will have its own POI with/without the can. But it should be repeatable.

Last edited:
I use Armageddon suppresser covers right now but when I get home next week and measure my 338 Ultra, I'm going to order a cover from Can Chaps. Heard nothing but great stuff about them. It's not that I hate the Armageddon covers I'm just wondering if there's something better.

I bought a couple of them recently. One thing I will say about them is that they are heavier than I expected. The combo of the rubberized material and the metal buckles makes them beefy.

I am also struggling with the way they attach. In the pictures it looks like they are “slip on and cinch up”, however they are split with two “hooks” that that slip though a loop in the strap. It is impossible to get the hook through the loop when it is tight due to the way it is designed, and it is very difficult to tighten the strap once it is hooked.

I haven’t messed around with it extensively yet, so if I find a better way, I will update this.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I swap between multiple rifles at the range all the time with direct thread. I recommend you build into your shooting process both resetting your scope turret after and checking your suppressor before.

I will apply just a bit of blue loctite before a hunt, and a little snug with a strap wrench, just to give it a little more. My POI doesn't change with that.

I have a cheap silicone oven mit from Dollar Tree in my range bag and I use this suppressor cover. I recommend you give it a try if you are looking for a light one. For most big game hunting situations you don't need one when shooting. The time you need it you won't have it...

If you have a magnum and need to send a third round, there can be enough heat to make a difference at extended ranges. If you take three shots and then realize you missed because didn't tighten the suppressor, you'll want it to tighten it and then make the shot.

rogerthat

FNG
Taking the suppressor off a rifle and putting it back on between shots has had no effect on poi for me. I do try to tighten the suppressor to a similar torque each time but I just do this by feel as I just hand tighten.

Schism

WKR
I swap suppressors all the time. All my rifles maintain zero after removing and reinstalling the can.

As far as a suppressor wrap, I have several and the best I have at reducing mirage is made by Precision Underground.

I have swapped cans around rifles at the range without issue but don't make it a common practice because of heat like others have mentioned. Doesn't take much to get pretty hot especially in summer and i'm not interested in the take 3 shots and let things cool routine.

I bought a couple of them recently. One thing I will say about them is that they are heavier than I expected. The combo of the rubberized material and the metal buckles makes them beefy.

I am also struggling with the way they attach. In the pictures it looks like they are “slip on and cinch up”, however they are split with two “hooks” that that slip though a loop in the strap. It is impossible to get the hook through the loop when it is tight due to the way it is designed, and it is very difficult to tighten the strap once it is hooked.

I haven’t messed around with it extensively yet, so if I find a better way, I will update this.

I got the scope chaps cover i ordered last week for a Scythe. Good communication and he built it fast! The weight was the first thing i noticed as well, they are notably heavier than AG. Waiting on the Scythe to get delivered still to give it a whirl.

I tried tightening on my U7 after hooked and it seems to get pretty dang snug? Doesn't want to slide at all with that sticky rubber.

I swap suppressors all the time. All my rifles maintain zero after removing and reinstalling the can.

As far as a suppressor wrap, I have several and the best I have at reducing mirage is made by Precision Underground.

I've heard good things about those, have you used AG ones too? The PU look similar to AG but rely on kevlar cord rather than cinching the opening around the breech end of the can, maybe a little thinner and cleaner built?

Last edited:
The weight was the first thing i noticed as well, they are notably heavier than AG.
Yeah I may only use it on my 338 Ultra as a high-volume shooting option since it's heavy anyway. I have AG covers on all my other TBAC suppressors.