2 person lightweight tent (on the cheap)

Let me preface this with I understand the buy once, cry once mentality. But with diesel being $6 a gallon, this year’s hunts are going to be especially hard on the wallet. My son (13) will be joining me in the CO elk woods for archery (his first western hunt), and I don’t want it to be a miserable experience for him. Has anyone had any luck with a lightweight 2-person tent that’s not over $200-400? I hate the idea of buying a made in china tent, but I may have to swallow my pride and buy an Amazon-special cheap tent this year. Good experiences? Bad experiences?

Thanks

Let me preface this with I understand the buy once, cry once mentality. But with diesel being $6 a gallon, this year’s hunts are going to be especially hard on the wallet. My son (13) will be joining me in the CO elk woods for archery (his first western hunt), and I don’t want it to be a miserable experience for him. Has anyone had any luck with a lightweight 2-person tent that’s not over $200-400? I hate the idea of buying a made in china tent, but I may have to swallow my pride and buy an Amazon-special cheap tent this year. Good experiences? Bad experiences?

Thanks

I just bought a Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL2 for $400. I haven’t set it up or used it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nantzh

FNG
I used a Tarptent Stratosphire II last year. Could not have been happier. Looks like they are $359 now. Its a little cramped for 2, but not terrible.

Gone4Days

WKR
I have 3 tents… Zpacks Duplex, BA Copper Spur and Kelty Salida. Zpacks is the best but past your budget. BA Copper Spur is almost as good as Duplex but also pushing $450-500. The Kelty Salida isn’t made anymore… it is affordable but a tad heavy.

What is your limit on weight?

Outdoor Gear Lab listed the REI Co-Op Passage 2 as their “Editor’s Choice” for best tent in 2022. I havent used one but may be worth a look.

I used an alps mountaineering 2 person tent from steep and cheap for many years. I think they sell for $80-$110. It’s nothing fancy, but pretty light and cheap as can be. I’d still use it if it didn’t fall off a pack horse.

wgonfan

FNG
you can usually find a used Big Agnes within your price range. Especially a single wall that uses treking poles. I have a BA scout UL that is ultra light and has been very good to us

Drenalin

WKR
I’ve got an REI Passage 2 (older model) that I bought used for around $125 on eBay. It’s right at 5 pounds, but if it helps I will let you have it for the cost of shipping. I think it would sleep two, and it has two doors and two vestibules for gear.

lkwoolsey

WKR

Thanks
I've got an REI Half Dome 2+, plenty of space for two people and gear. Dual vestibules and doors. I think the tent, with footprint, cost me about $220 from REIs website. It's been a pretty great tent

I used an alps mountaineering 2 person tent from steep and cheap for many years. I think they sell for $80-$110. It’s nothing fancy, but pretty light and cheap as can be. I’d still use it if it didn’t fall off a pack horse.

These are good tents for the Lower-48, actually. Usually can find them on Amazon for about $70.00 to $80.00 ......

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. A little over $100 depending on where you buy it, maybe less if you catch a good sale.

It is floorless which can actually be a very good thing if you are comfortable with that. Decent amount of space for its 2 pound weight. It does require two trekking poles to set up.

I haven’t used mine for two people, but it is enough space. I would just recommend carrying a small tarp to create a porch or something to keep your packs outside and leave you a bit more room inside.

we use the alps mountaineering tent and have been real happy with it. I know its not the lightest, but if you split it between ya or have the other carry some extra water its not too bad. We usually camp for 3 days, so once you get to camp, your day pack is pretty light.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the mountain smith mountain shelter lt if you would be alright with floorless. Can generally find them on here in the classifieds for $85 or so. Trekking pole tent, easy to set up, weighs around 2 pounds, and packs down fairly small. Had my Dad and myself in it a few times and had no issues with room, packs and all.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks
I just bought an alps mountaineering 2 person Helix on Amazon. $200 there, $290 on their site. I don’t like Amazon either but that’s $90! If it was $10-20 that’s a different story. Obviously, I haven’t slept in it but I’ve set it up in the yard and it seems just fine. I wasn’t willing to spend a small fortune on a Hilleberg at this point. If this backpack hunting works out, I’ll think about it later.

HoneyDew

WKR
Argali Rincon 2P or anything from seek outside for <4 ppl should be in that $200-400 range.

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
Alps mountaineering Zephyr 3 tent. A bit heavy but one of the best tents for the price. I used to recommend REI but between their cultural changes and their lack of quality over the years. Alps has been filling more of a role for quality tents that work. Similar to kelty.

mlgc20

WKR
If you carry trekking poles, take a look at the Gossamer Gear "The Two". Super light at around 25 ounces and costs $375. It's a great tent. Very popular in the thru-hiking community. Will last you for years.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Lanshan 2 and have used it for the past 2 years, 60+ days in it. Awesome tent, lightweight, and very good build quality in my opinion. Less than $200.