2 stroke dirt bike for older rider?

Wrench

WKR
I have the original rekluse on my yz250 and I hate it. I can't bump start my bike and I don't mind being the clutch riding guy. If I had one that would bump start....I wouldn't hate it.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if you're referring to me but I ride moto every week, and raced in the 250 expert class for years in District 37.
Gotta say though pretty cool there's so many riders on here!!!
This is why RS is the best haha
Not picking on anyone. It’s been a fun thread to follow! All I’m pointing out is the advice is off the wall in a ton of different directions! I don’t think anyone can argue with that hahaha! I totally agree this thread has got me thinking we may need a bike thread to all argue amongst ourselves without cluttering up the ops interest here. We have months until archery season kicks off we need to figure out some regions we can meet up and try to make some rides. I’m in the nw I don’t have a lot of free time but do try to ride any chance I get if anyone is interested

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I have the original rekluse on my yz250 and I hate it. I can't bump start my bike and I don't mind being the clutch riding guy. If I had one that would bump start....I wouldn't hate it.
I have only rode the older models as well. I personally do not like the feeling of neutral going down a hill, Or not making a hill climb and turning your bike around with no compression to hold your back tire. I hear the newer models are better I have no first hand experience. I decided pulling a clutch in, especially newer brembo systems is pretty easy.

Wrench

WKR
I have my rekluse weighted to brake on the downhill.....but no deal on compression start once the balls retract.

2-Stix

WKR
I think the yz could be a good choice for you, but it’s definitely more of a classic two stroke feel.
If I were you I’d try to ride one first. I think Yamaha has demo days around the country. If one is close to you I’d do that.
Yz is a lot cheaper to own / maintain, parts are very easy to find, and really easy to work on vs the ktm / husky
But they are really good bikes too!
250's dont hang at Bean Canyon, or south of jawbone. The 300's struggle there also, but work better at kennedy meadows, balenger, gorman forest trails, stevens mine, etc.

Bluefish

WKR
On the Ktm and beta, you can back off the adjuster screw and turn it back into a conventional clutch. Then it will bump start. Never had to do this on my last two bikes, but it is an option. The YZ has a different setup where you can not do this.

I found on the down hill disengagement, if I was going that slow in whatever gear, it would have stalled with a conventional clutch. It does take a bit to learn to give throttle to engage the clutch, but it works and once engaged again you have engine breaking. Some like a rekluse and some don’t. I am in the camp to use one.

Wrench

WKR
Mine is a z start pro....so no deal on the bump start. It works good for what it is supposed to do....but so do my right fingers.

Brad873

FNG
IMO you can’t go wrong with any of the KTM 300 models from the last 5 to 8 years. Plenty of low end torque to putt around and pull any hill you want to climb. My problem is I’m short and they sit so dang tall!

Luked

WKR
I have a 2000 YZ250 i am about to sell.
I think that the YZ250 is the perfect platform. can be had pretty easily for around 3k give or take. Has a ton of aftermarket support. and also easily can get factory parts even for older models since they really havent changed them much in the last 15-20 years as far as the motor goes.
There are some things you can do to make it more "woodsy" a hitlis system for the powervalve cures the major snap of the powerband. and an 18" rear wheel which is easy to get makes for better selection of woods type tires.

bradyhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Older KDX 200s were awesome. My first bike was a 93 KDX Jeff Fredette special. As a matter of fact Jeff modified the forks for me. That was a fun, tractable bike. Didn’t go anywhere fast, but went anywhere. Raced Hare Scrambles with it even. Fun fun.
I'm still riding one on single track. The USD forks on those 93-94 bikes look cool, but probably the worst performance wise.

Reactions: ODB

KHNC

WKR
I ride a 1999 RM 250 in the PNW coast range. Can't find much tighter and technical trails than here! Is my bike perfect, nope. Am I an expert rider, nope. But it's 100% capable, easy to fix, and super fun.

If I rode enough I'd spend the money and get a dedicated woods bike but I'm very happy with my RM.

The only thing that I think is a big downside for hunting is it's FREAKING LOUD!!
Best sound in the world! But not for hunting. lol. I love a 2 Stroke MX bike.

OP
J
I dont mind the tangents. I am still learning many things.

Overall kinda frustrating. I even looked into day rentals of bikes. A local guy rents bikes. But think he wanted $275 a day for a KTM 350 EXC. Pass

A former co-worked lent me his 300 XC-W for a while. But this was literally in my first month of riding ANY dirt bike. At that time it was TOO light and nimble. I didn't have the confidence. I've taken professional woods riding classes and have much more seat time now.

I'd really like to piss around on a KTM/Beta/Husky. I'd need more than 3 minutes in a paved parking lot tho. Just a half hour on the dirt would do it.

I am getting sucked in to spending more money than I'd hoped. I see ZERO negative comments, videos, or reviews of the 300 XCW.

The KTMs seem 4-1 more popular in the Spokane/NIdaho area. Not many Huskys on Marketplace or other.

I am pretty short at 5'8" so every seat height is gonna suck. And I am 225ish. More all up.

KHNC

WKR
YZ250Fupdate.jpg
2017 YZ250F
2009150SX.jpg

2009 KTM 150SX I bought a few months ago and restored. Love this thing! Missed a 2 Stroke. Just turned 55. I only ride MX , but no longer race. Have a track at home I built. .6 mile long SX style setup.

Wrench

WKR
I have a 2000 YZ250 i am about to sell.
I think that the YZ250 is the perfect platform. can be had pretty easily for around 3k give or take. Has a ton of aftermarket support. and also easily can get factory parts even for older models since they really havent changed them much in the last 15-20 years as far as the motor goes.
There are some things you can do to make it more "woodsy" a hitlis system for the powervalve cures the major snap of the powerband. and an 18" rear wheel which is easy to get makes for better selection of woods type tires.
Timing makes a HUGE difference on these too. I have mine set to be super grunty and then let the DEP pipe work on the top end.

The steel framed yz is really good for square edged stuff especially with the 05+ forks. I have a couple of heads I cut for different squish, but it just works so well I don't care to change it.

I am getting sucked in to spending more money than I'd hoped. I see ZERO negative comments, videos, or reviews of the 300 XCW.
Hunting and dirt bikes. Seems to always get me for more money than I was hoping. Man we've got some expensive hobbies haha.
I don't think you would regret getting a 300. The YZ could work, but ultimately I think it would leave you wanting more toruqe after a bit. My Husky 2 stroke is the mx version, and it has WAY more bottom end grunt then my old yzx.
And the more I think about the parts comment I made, the less relevant it seems.
Chances are you'd never even have to replace the crank with the low RPMS they tend to be ridden at.
Both are really great bikes though! I hope you're happy with whatever bike you decide to get.

Reactions: TVW
Buy an older model 300 2t. Carb, injected, whatever. KTM’s are more easy to find but other brands 300’s are good too. You can also put a 300 kit on a 250 if you find a good price on a 250. That all said, a 250 2t will haul you just fine. 2t’s lug low and don’t stall easily. Can go real fast or real slow on them. I wouldn’t overthink it or let yourself be convinced you need a bunch of after market stuff to make it ridable. I’ve owned and raced a 200, two 250’s, and a 300. Each one was great for fun trail riding and racing. Find a good condition (not sx model) bike at a good/fair price and go ride it. Should be able to do that for sub $5k.

KHNC

WKR
You should re-route that front brake line so it can't get snagged on stuff.
I would if i did any woods riding with it. However ,it was the nightmare of all nightmares to get that brake line bled properly. I am talking several days worth of messing with it. When I got it fixed and then realized I had forgotten to route it behind the fork tube, I was devastated haha!!! One of these days I will fix it. I just dont have it in me to deal with bleeding that front line again yet. I guess i could take the wheel off and take the caliber off the tube and do it. One of these days. :)

Reactions: TVW