200 FMJ dangerous game

Was messing around on the archery program I have to see if it would be possible for me to build an arrow with that would be able to 14-15% FOC. Normally I don't try to get this % FOC, or try to shoot this many FPS. But hay it Feb and if I am going to try something new now would be a good time to try. With my set up the program shows me almost at a .200 spine with a 75gr insert and almost 15%.

So the question goes has anyone tried the Dangerous Game shafts. As far a I can tell they are a regular FMJ but with a .200 spine. I would be going from a high 9% FOC to the almost 15%.

If some of you guys have gone to a heavy front end did you guys like the switch, regardless of the arrow you used?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I am currently using Big Game 100's out of my Spyder Turbo at 80#. I have been extremely happy with them and not one issue with FOC and putting any weight up front.

With that said, I am looking at getting a dozen Kinetics or maybe the new FMJ Injections. Just wanting to see the difference really is all.

Tilzbow

WKR
Gold Tip Big Game Kinetics, Black Eagle Deep Impact Long Draw and VAP are all fairly light GPI shafts that have heavy spines that would help you build a higher FOC arrow.

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
Gold Tip Big Game Kinetics, Black Eagle Deep Impact Long Draw and VAP are all fairly light GPI shafts that have heavy spines that would help you build a higher FOC arrow.
Yes, your best bet is to use the above mentioned shafts. You will have a tough time getting a high FOC with the FMJ DG as they are over 17 GPI. The GT Kinetics in 200 spine are a very tough shaft. I used them and also use Black Eagle Rampage in 250 spine.

Like others have stated, Light arrows are great shafts to build a high FOC with. I am currently shooting 27" GT XT 7595's w/ 50 grain insert weights and a 125 grain head. This gives me a finished weight of 472grns and 17% FOC. I'll never go back. FORGIVING!

I would be interested to see what numbers your running, I would find it very difficult to get a high Foc with that heavy of an arrow. For me I really like high Foc set ups, in my experience they shoot fixe blades much better and hold better groups out to longer yardages. I'm just under 16% with easton axis 50grain inserts and 125 heads.

OR Archer

WKR
What are the specs on the bow you want to shoot these out of? Knowing that it would be easier to make specific suggestions on arrow combos.

I have a dozen but I'm afraid to hack them up. I shoot 27.5" CTC Axis 300 with 100 grains up front. I have a 29.5"/70# Spyder Turbo. I want to shoot 150 grain heads but I think I'm on the border of spine. Any of you gurus got any advice?

I have a dozen but I'm afraid to hack them up. I shoot 27.5" CTC Axis 300 with 100 grains up front. I have a 29.5"/70# Spyder Turbo. I want to shoot 150 grain heads but I think I'm on the border of spine. Any of you gurus got any advice?

With that short of an arrow and a stiff .300 spine you would be fine, IMHO. Do you have the ability to get a hold of a 150grn FP to shoot through paper with?

OR Archer

WKR

That arrow is more than stiff enough even with a 150gr head at that length.

Yes. I have 85-250 grain heads for my trad stuff.

I would shoot a few through paper with a couple of different head weights. Prior to that, I would adjust windage and elevation to dead center middle (providing bow is in tune) and see what head weight it liked the best. After that you could even fine tune by using brass break away inserts.