200 yard grouping

mww982

WKR
I have two rifles, both X-Bolts, one is a 7mm-08 and the other is a .300 Win Mag. The 7mm-08 is going to be mainly my deer rifle. The .300 Win Mag is my big game\western rifle. I am a pretty novice rifle shooter and know I need to practice more to get comfortable at longer ranges, as of right now my max with either gun will most likely be 300 yards. I found the bullet, federal 200 grain terminal ascents, my .300 win mag likes. Still looking for a bullet that my 7mm-08, so far the best of the bunch I have tested (norma, federal whitetail, and core-lokt), the core-lokt has grouped the best. I will be testing Nosler Accubond 140's later this week.

The fist picture is my 100 yard grouping done the week before, which I am happy with. The second picture is a six-round group at 200 yards with the .300. I let the barrel cool down and shot the 7mm-08 at the same distance, third picture. Then the last picture is the .300 win mag again. I did wait sometime between shots on the last grouping, but between the sun and the morning heating up, the barrel was still pretty warm.

Would you be okay with these groupings at 200 yards initially? I'm definitely going to practice some more but just curious on y'alls thoughts.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 136

WKR

WKR
Both of those 200 yard groups are a touch over 2 moa. Meaning at 300 yards your point of impact could be off your point of aim as much as 6.5 inches.

First, what size are the squares? 1/2" or 1"? Second, how far are you planning to shoot?

For the 7mm-8 you went from a 2x2 to a 5x5. That is more than a MOA increase for adding just another 100 yards.

For the 300 WM you went from a 5x4 to a 2x5. Any reason for why your horizontal spread dropped so dramatically while doubling the distance? You vertical spread only increased 25% while doubling the distance which is a positive.

I'd have a trusted competent shooter shoot both to see how they do (in order to see potential).

But for the interim, they're good enough for deer+ size game at 200 yards assuming the shooter doesn't screw things up during the shot process. I'd also strongly recommend developing solid shooting fundamentals before trying to shoot further; you're going to run the real risk of developing bad habits that will only get harder to unlearn.

SDHNTR

WKR
You lost me. I see a 100 yard group that is way off zero. Not quite sure what I’m looking at on the other pics. How big are those squares?

WKR

WKR
First, what size are the squares? 1/2" or 1"? Second, how far are you planning to shoot?

For the 7mm-8 you went from a 2x2 to a 5x5. That is more than a MOA increase for adding just another 100 yards.

For the 300 WM you went from a 5x4 to a 2x5. Any reason for why your horizontal spread dropped so dramatically while doubling the distance? You vertical spread only increased 25% while doubling the distance which is a positive.

I'd have a trusted competent shooter shoot both to see how they do (in order to see potential).

But for the interim, they're good enough for deer+ size game at 200 yards assuming the shooter doesn't screw things up during the shot process. I'd also strongly recommend developing solid shooting fundamentals before trying to shoot further; you're going to run the real risk of developing bad habits that will only get harder to unlearn.
The squares are obviously one inch. Look at the diameter of the bullet hole compared to the square.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
You lost me. I see a 100 yard group that is way off zero. Not quite sure what I’m looking at on the other pics. How big are those squares?
I was aiming for about an 1.5 off center for when I could get out to a 200 yard range. The three that are touching were my first three shots. The next three were after making elevation and windage adjustments.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Yep, I'll look closer next time before asking a question. But if a rifle will only do 2+ MOA at 100, that rifle will be long gone.
So The three that are touching, were the first three out of the gun with that bullet. The next three on are after making windage and elevation adjustments after each shot.

WKR

WKR
So The three that are touching, were the first three out of the gun with that bullet. The next three on are after making windage and elevation adjustments after each shot.
The 100 yard groups are fine but not zeroed to the center of the target. the 200 yard groups are questionable.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Could just be the OP isn’t a sub moa shooter…that happens more than most want to admit.
The circled rounds were the first three shots with that specific ammunition, isn't that about a one moa group? The next three shots had individual windage and elevation adjustments to get the round where I wanted it.

I'm a novice shooter and don't claim to be a sub moa shooter.

Attachments

• Inked1.jpg
    Inked1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 25

SDHNTR

WKR
I was aiming for about an 1.5 off center for when I could get out to a 200 yard range. The three that are touching were my first three shots. The next three were after making elevation and windage adjustments.
Huh? You were aiming off the bullseye? And then you were adjusting the scope and now you’re asking if your groups are good? There’s way too much inconsistency going on to determine anything at all.

Show us your zero with a 10 round group.

WKR

WKR
Wasn't trying to get it to the bullseye, the goal was to be between 1.5" and 2" high at 100 yards.
I understand, are you trying to go for a maximum point blank range zero? Or planning to dial for elevation?
Also with as much as those rounds opened up at 200 yards I would be searching for a different load to hunt with.
Maybe go try shooting a group at 300 and see how it looks. If you have impacts drifting outside of a 6 inch circle then that's to large of a margin of error for me to be comfortable with on a hunt.

SDHNTR

WKR
Most likely he's been taught the old way of "zero high at 100 so you'll be good at 300" or in other words max point blank range. You know, the way the old timers do it.
Of course I realize that. I was leading the witness. Don’t spoil my fun. 🤪

Reactions: WKR