200 yard grouping

Harvey_NW

WKR
That's the minimum.

@mww982 read this, https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...ice-posts-and-rifle-practice-shooting.165291/

...and then go practice. You don't need to go on a wild goose chase of constant equipment changes while working on eliminating yourself as the weakest link in the shooting system.
This. Focus on the fundamentals of shooting and shoot some larger samples to get an indication of what the system will do repeatedly before you start screwing with things or plugging in ballistic info. And if you find yourself chasing your tail once you start making adjustments, you might consider yanking those VX's and swapping them for something more reliable. They are a weak link in both of those systems.

roymunson

WKR
to the OP, practice is a bit part of this. I'm pretty much first generation hunting and I have taught myself, probably poorly, and incorrectly at times.

But Youtube has taken me from a trash shooter, to one who can put it on an animal where it needs to be. I'm sure I have a long way to go, but some techniques can get you 75% of the way there.
You can refine that last 25% for the rest of your life, but that first "leaps and bounds" gain can be had pretty easily with some good form and repeatability.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I have an xbolt hells canyon long range 300 WM with the 1/8 twist. It likes 215 bergers the best and it shot some 230 bergers fairly well. I use a 200 yard zero. You can still dial and it's fine. A lot of guys I know use a 200 yard zero, not just old farts.

The intial 3 shots shows your rifle grouping fairly well. I'm guessing you moved your POI to the left and then after that moved it up? If so, then that's all looking fine. I'm having a hard time seeing where your gun is really grouping after that. It could be you pulling shots or jerking the trigger a little. I personally wouldn't be ready to take it hunting at 200 if my groups were opening up that much at that distance. I will say both xbolt rifles I've had seemed to shoot better after I did the initial barrel break in and then had ran a few boxes through them.

Were you pretty comfortable when you were shooting?

The 7-08 I would say to keep trying to find a load or something

Yes sir, moved left and then up to get it about 1.5" high at 100 yards. I'm not ready to take it out hunting yet, that was my first time ever shooting at 200 yards, so I know I need the practice. Picture number 4 was the .300 win at 200 yards and seemed to get tighter but was now hitting right and low. By this time I had done the initial break-in per Browning's recommendations and probably 4-5 boxes through them. I'm going to go to the range soon, maybe this afternoon and do a true 100 yards zero with the .300 win. I'll post pictures after for advice.

rbaney

FNG
Good luck to you on this, heed some of the advise but also remember it is not gospel. For me I do a mixture of MPBR for my hunting rifles some have a true 100 yard zero and others are about an inch high at 100. So have fun and the more practice the better.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
OP, the mpbr method still works, but if you have a good scope with dials, there is a way better way to do it. Zero spot on at 100 so you can be precise. Then dial up while in the field.

OP, if you really want good answers show us consistent 10 shot groups. With no scope adjustments or other changes.

Here’s an 11 shot group at 100 yards from this afternoon.
12d8e88470fd37ce1aef5a550bb225e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
M

mww982

WKR
7efd79664a5cc1b428a3b067763eea53.jpg

First 3 out of a cold bore @ 200 yards, in the red. Waited about 10 minutes and the next two hit right. The next couple strings, same process same results. It’s 90+ degrees down here in Texas and thinking I didn’t let the barrel cool down enough, thoughts or is it the shooter?

Definitely happy with the first three, especially for my ability right now.

WKR

WKR

First 3 out of a cold bore @ 200 yards, in the red. Waited about 10 minutes and the next two hit right. The next couple strings, same process same results. It’s 90+ degrees down here in Texas and thinking I didn’t let the barrel cool down enough, thoughts or is it the shooter?

The first 3 was good shooting. Thats a sub moa group at 200. 10 minutes should be a long enough break for the barrel to cool but there are variables like ambient temperature and barrel profile. Was there any wind? Did you do anything differently? Same position behind the gun?

To me it looks like you found a good hunting load and you are shooting well. Just keep on keeping on and it will get even better. If you can shoot a sub moa group at 200 then you are on the right track.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Well it’s about 95 degrees here actual temperature but feels well over 100 degrees. But I was under shade while shooting.

Barrel is a sporter barrel and I was making sure I could leave a hand on it for a few seconds before firing the next string.

I felt like I was doing everything the same but not 100% sure. But if I can shoot cold bore like that consistently, I will take it. May have to buy another rifle that I can practice with more often and doesn’t heat up so quick.

SDHNTR

WKR
Well it’s about 95 degrees here actual temperature but feels well over 100 degrees. But I was under shade while shooting.

Barrel is a sporter barrel and I was making sure I could leave a hand on it for a few seconds before firing the next string.

I felt like I was doing everything the same but not 100% sure. But if I can shoot cold bore like that consistently, I will take it. May have to buy another rifle that I can practice with more often and doesn’t heat up so quick.

Shooting consistently in that kind of heat is hard for a lot of reasons. I’d imagine you had some mirage and heat waves to contend with too.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

I would say dont F with it. The mirage or wind probably got you on 4 and 5. 1-3 look good. Unless you next trip out duplicates the last 2 shots leave it be.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I would say dont F with it. The mirage or wind probably got you on 4 and 5. 1-3 look good. Unless you next trip out duplicates the last 2 shots leave it be.
I've been out with it twice at 200 yards and found that when the barrel gets warm, the POI shifts 1-2 moa to the right. It's great with a cold bore but when warm, it's accuracy diminishes. I really need to get a practice rifle.

amassi

WKR
I've been out with it twice at 200 yards and found that when the barrel gets warm, the POI shifts 1-2 moa to the right. It's great with a cold bore but when warm, it's accuracy diminishes. I really need to get a practice rifle.

Your impacts with the 300 are consistently right. That tends to be a stock pressure issue. If you’re right handed you may be putting too much pressure on the pistol grip.
Could also be your stock isn’t fully floated, can you slide a business card from your forearm back to the action?
As you’ve indicated your a novice- my advise, worth exactly what I’ll charge for it. Ditch the 300 win mag, it’s overkill and won’t do you any favors learning rifle fundamental.
There’s 2 threads on here 223 and 6.5 for killing that should be read and re read. They’re major eye openers.
a 223 trainer is hard to beat for trigger time per $1. Will also avoid a flinch and makes it easy to see errors in form.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Your impacts with the 300 are consistently right. That tends to be a stock pressure issue. If you’re right handed you may be putting too much pressure on the pistol grip.
Could also be your stock isn’t fully floated, can you slide a business card from your forearm back to the action?
As you’ve indicated your a novice- my advise, worth exactly what I’ll charge for it. Ditch the 300 win mag, it’s overkill and won’t do you any favors learning rifle fundamental.
There’s 2 threads on here 223 and 6.5 for killing that should be read and re read. They’re major eye openers.
a 223 trainer is hard to beat for trigger time per $1. Will also avoid a flinch and makes it easy to see errors in form.
The .300 isn't going to be a frequent shooter as I also have a 7mm-08. Just trying to find the ammo that gun likes right now. I was trying to get it zeroed in but I am looking at buying a .308 or 6.5 for my practice\range gun. I would like to stay in the X-Bolt family in guns as that's what my other two are and I like the way they fit me. I'd practice more with the 7mm-08 but I don't handload and ammo can be tough to find at times. However, I like that round and its perfomance.

Long Cut

WKR
Maybe I overlooked the details, but OP could be shooting factory ammo that doesn’t do well with his guns.

Exhibit A: Same gun/shooter with various charges of N555 pushing Nosler BT 140’s & Barnes TTSX 120’s … at 100 yards.

At 200 yards, the 43-44gr charges would look like OP’s with a 5+ shot group instead of the 3 shown.

OP needs to find a bullet those guns like. Maybe some form/techniques could help, but bashing someone seeking advice certainly isn’t helpful. Go beat your chest or Wife somewhere else.

OP: I’d keep shooting various bullets off bags. Maybe a polished trigger or aftermarket trigger may help? Practice breathing and don’t hold your breath when you shoot. Bring a friend to see if you’re flinching etc Plenty of YouTube videos to point you in the right direction. Keep it up brotha
IMG_7439.jpegIMG_7442.jpeg

KenLee

WKR
I don't know what factory loads you've tried, but be sure to try some Barnes 120 TTSX loads and Hornady American Whitetail ammo with 139 Interlocks, if you're able to find them. We all know that each rifle will like a particular load better than others. Having said that, I have four 7-08s that all like those 2 factory loads.
I wish you the best of luck.
I'd add in trying 120 gr NBT and 139gr Superformance SST. All 3 of my x-bolt 7mm-08s shoot well with all 4 of those factory loads.
Add in discontinued Remington 140gr Accutips if you run across any.
My BLR 7mm-08s absolutely hate the Superformance. Patterns like a 12 gauge.