2015 NV mule deer hunt w/ Jimmy (slim Jim)

Slim Jim

WKR
The hunt opener for archery here in Nevada is 8/10. I'm leaving on the 9th to hike in on the opener. figured I would kick this off today so that I have time to go over gear list, food, training, etc.
This will be a 10 day hunt and will take place in the Ruby mountains. The trailhead is at around 7,000 ft and camp is at about 10,000 ft with a 10 mile hike in.
I just returned from my NV archery cow hunt and got it done, so now with a freezer full of good meat, I can now focus on a great high country mule deer. Here is a pic of my cow. Just what I was looking for, young and without a calf.

I'm going to do my best to keep this interesting with a lot of updates and not just an end of day recap. Cell service isn't the greatest where I'll be but it should be good enough for text. Not sure if pics will go through.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Getting food ready now.
Breakfast-
Oatmeal (variety)
Snacks-
2oz beef jerky
Bobo and Cliff bars
Kind bars
Protein mix nuts
Lunch-
Salami and cheese bagel or
Peanut butter and honey bagel
Dinner-
Mountain house (lasagna and chili mac)
Mashed potatoes w/ spam
Ramen w/ tuna

I'll post gear list next

PNWGATOR

WKR
Have a great adventure!
Looks like you have a couple good helpers in the kitchen too.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Here is my gear list
Sleep system-
Tent- GoLite SL3
Bag- Mountain Hardware phantom
Pad- Xtherm Neoair
Pack-
Kifaru duplex frame w/ T1 bag
Optics-
Binos- Meopta meostars 10x42
Rangefinder- Leica 1000r
Spotter- Vortex razor 65mm
Tripod- Slik mini w/ vanguard panhead
Walking sticks- Easton
Stove-
Soto w/ modified jetboil sol to fit
Bags-
Sea to Summit 8L (2)
Kifaru meat baggie
Kifaru small and med pull outs
Emergency kit-
Sol bivy
Fire starter w/ Vaseline swabs
GPS-3way bushnell
Aquamira tabs
Frogg Togg poncho
Tenacious tape
Super glue
Moleskin
Tylenol
Benadryl
Large bandades (2)
Water-
3L platypus
2 1/2 gal reliance
16 oz Nalgene bottle
Sawyer mini
Kill kit-
Borax and syringe for velvet care
Tag BOMB bags
Havalon paranta
Latex gloves
Large trash bag
Para cord
Purell hand sanitizer
Tags and license
Zip tie
Electronics-
GoPro hero 3 black
Headlamp- Petzl 160L Taktikka
Solar charger- Mercury 10
Phoneskope w/ shutter button
iPhone 6 plus
Tools-
Leatherman skeletool
Easton allen wrench set
Archery tackle-
Bow- Hoyt Faktor 30
Arrows- gold tip pro hunters
Broadhead- Ulmer edge
Quiver- tight spot
Rest- Hamskea versa rest
Stab- 10" bee stinger
Site- Spot Hogg Tommy 3 pin
Release- Spot Hogg wiseguy
Clothing-
Pants- Kuiu attacks
Shirt- FL Llano
Jacket- Kuiu Chugach
Down jacket- Calvin Klein
Socks- Darn Tough (2)
Undies- FL red desert boxers (2)
Gloves- Sitka shooters
Beanie- Smartwool merino
Hat- camo mesh snapback
Boots- Salewa Repace
Neck gator- Buff
Belt- Emerica
Bino harness- Kuiu w/ crooked horn
Seat pad- mini foam

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congrats on the cow Jim, looking forward to following this adventure and thank you for the detailed lists.

Hardstalk

WKR
Hahaha you've been watching trailer park boys since the AZ hunt haven't you? Gotta love Bubbles

I binge it when I can. Kids,work,kids,scout. I've been in AZ 9-10times now figuring out the summer range. Come to find out it's the same as the winter. Exact same. But, nocturnal. Still nothing over the 140-150 class. Regardless if I don't bring home some bacon during the summer season mamma is gonna relinquish my hunting rights in AZ..

Hardstalk

WKR
I binge it when I can. Kids,work,kids,scout. I've been in AZ 9-10times now figuring out the summer range. Come to find out it's the same as the winter. Exact same. But, nocturnal. Still nothing over the 140-150 class. Regardless if I don't bring home some bacon during the summer season mamma is gonna relinquish my hunting rights in AZ..

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks guys!
I'm pretty pumped to get back up there. This year I'm going back up into the same basin I've hunted the past 5 years. My buddy Gabe is going to go back with me again this year. I didn't think there were that many people out there that were as dumb as I was to go through this kind of punishment. Haha. He hasn't stuck a buck with his bow yet and he is very eager to get it done. He's looking to shoot any respectable buck and I'm going to do my best to help him get on one. For me, I'm looking for a B&C 190+ class buck. I'm really hoping that the 4x5 from last year that I missed made it through last hunting seasons and comes back to summer. There was also a great typical 4x4 that was about a 185" class deer last year and hopefully he'll be back as well. I really don't won't to go home eating a tag so if those big boys don't come back, I'll go for the biggest buck in the basin even if he's only a 160+ class buck. I've gotten to know this area really well and we have a few good game plans for morning, mid day and evening hunts. Here is a pic from last years buck

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Here is a pic of the 4x5 from las year

Not a very good pic but believe me he was nice.
I didn't scout up there this summer because I know the area so well and each year I've seen a shooter buck. But I've talked to a few people that have been up the Rubys this summer and they've said antler growth is looking good this year!

CaseyU

WKR
I am excited for this one. That place is my favorite place in the world! Best of luck jim and thanks for letting us tag along

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Well we decided to head out today. We are at a Mexican restaurant in Ely right now. Gotta fill up on some good greasy salty food because it's gonna be a while before we eat good again. Some funny shit, my buddy Gabe stopped at McDonald's and ordered 12 mcdoubles for the pack in. Hahaha. Reminds me when my dad would do that in the mornings before we would go fishing.
We are going to sleep at the trailhead tonight and hike in in the morning. This way we'll be ready on the opener