2019 Annual Rokslide Cooler Showdown

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey all,
I started our annual cooler showdown for this year and will be testing/evaluating the new Canyon Coolers Navigator 150 and the Yeti Tundra 160. I am on day three but thought I better get a thread going for everyone! This year, We are only testing two because of how big they are. It is a logistical nightmare to test more let alone get my hands on them.

First impressions of the Navigator 150 is sturdy. Canyon has always made an outstanding cooler but you can tell the quality is improved, and it looks tougher. There is a ton of tiedown locations on this thing. It can also hold two baskets on top of each other, which can be convenient.

The Tundra 160 is everything you would expect from Yeti. It has all of the features you have come to love (and expect). It is longer and skinnier than the Canyon, which makes it more awkward to carry for a short stature feller like myself.

I had them precooled at my local ice company for two days then filled to the brim with ice. I have to give a shoutout to Crystal Ice Co in Reno, NV. They had no problem letting me stick these in their walk-in freezer and gave me a good deal on the ice! If you are local, they have a great price on ice for your adventures.

Here are links to the videos in order...

Both coolers are holding up well! time will tell the winner however you couldn't go wrong with either.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I've never seen a cooler with the drain on the long side. Seems much more convenient to have it on an end for a better 'funneling' effect when draining, much easier to prop up the opposite end, odd design choice.

I noticed the Yeti 160 has been tested by the IGBC, but Canyon has only had up to the 125 tested. I realize this size cooler is probably a 'leave in truck for meat transport' as once filled it would be a pain to move around, or for use on a boat, so bear resistance might not be a big issue for most.

Thanks for testing, interested to see the final result.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great review again this year Travis. I think both coolers performed amazing can't believe how much ice was in the winner after 11 days of sun. Patiently waiting to see how the manufacturer spec's compare to your own measurements.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Tumalt

FNG
I've never seen a cooler with the drain on the long side. Seems much more convenient to have it on an end for a better 'funneling' effect when draining, much easier to prop up the opposite end, odd design choice.

I noticed the Yeti 160 has been tested by the IGBC, but Canyon has only had up to the 125 tested. I realize this size cooler is probably a 'leave in truck for meat transport' as once filled it would be a pain to move around, or for use on a boat, so bear resistance might not be a big issue for most.

Thanks for testing, interested to see the final result.
The canyon cooler is designed for rafting. A drain plug in that location means you can drain water without having to remove your cooler from the raft frame. If the drain is on the end of the cooler, its impossible to drain it without pulling it out as the tubes block the drain access. It's a great design for rafting but agree in other scenarios I'd rather have a drain at the end.

Tpmahler1

FNG
Hey Travis I’ve watched the cooler reviews but it’s been a couple years. Looked at Orion but heard Randy new berg left them because they’re anti hunting, not sure just hear say. Wondering what you recommend these days between canyon, orca, Orion and grizzly. Thanks!