2019 Coyote Board

cmahoney

WKR
Nice work HUSHN, I’ve been after the coyotes right outside of town because I haven’t had much time. I think I killed the two stupid ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmcd22

WKR
fd5c9f9d4e0cfae16d785dbe393b8537.jpg

2/2 so far today, got distracted glassing deer for a while but have time for another stand on way home

Nice! I've been trying to get out but the weather hasn't been the best and when it has been decent, the old 9-5 takes precedence haha.

How do you like that Ruger? What bullets are you shooting?

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
It’s been pretty sweet! I bought it as a compact rifle to take shed hunting n keep in the truck. I’m shooting Hornady 53 grain Superformance Varmint .223 factory loads and they group well. The Hornady Varmint Express 55 grain shoot well also.

jmcd22

WKR
It’s been pretty sweet! I bought it as a compact rifle to take shed hunting n keep in the truck. I’m shooting Hornady 53 grain Superformance Varmint .223 factory loads and they group well. The Hornady Varmint Express 55 grain shoot well also.

I was very close to buying either the 6 Creemoor or the 22-250 from D&B but picked up a Tikka 22-250 instead. I'm shooting 55 grain Noslers through it right now. On paper they shoot well. Hopefully it treats fur well when I can finally get out!

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
If you hit them frontal you’ll have hard time finding the hole. Broadside or quarter to shots will be good if you hit shoulder UNLESS you shoot em at close range or shoot through brush. At least that’s my experience with the VMax 53s, 55s are even more forgiving. You’ll be throwing those pills a lot faster than me though

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
That’s awesome. The big female I shot this morning has busted up teeth but nowhere near that age

That’s awesome. The big female I shot this morning has busted up teeth but nowhere near that age

I've seen one other coyote with teeth like this in the last ten years. Crazy how smart they are. My calls woke this one up at 300 yards. He left after a couple seconds of calling. I got lucky that he stopped at 360 before cresting a hill. The other one I remember with teeth like this did the same thing and my brother dumped him on the run at 350.

mcseal2

WKR
Shot a pair this morning but didnt get pics yet. I was leaving the house to help a friend move and saw them east of my house a few hundred yards. I got snuck up behind some bales and dropped the first one at 114 yards. The second stopped at 300 and I got it too. Round bales make a good rest. Shot them with the 53gr superformance load from my 223 savage. Good start to a long day.

mcseal2

WKR
My AR's don't like that 53gr Superformance load, but the bolt Savage Hog Hunter shoots it close to 1/2". That's a pretty good cheap truck gun with the faster load. I didn't chronograph the bolt action yet but that load shot 3286fps from my 20" AR so it should be similar from the 20" bolt gun.

Coyotes don't like that 53gr load at that speed either!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
370 yards with the 22-250. Having a heck of a time with coyotes hanging up the last week or so. Called at a pair for quite a while yesterday and couldn’t get them to commit. Tons of dogs around though.

cfb62e7b103f8dd6a2199bdb444ecc5f.jpg
dd5f90436180a1b55b6d1ebad0420034.jpg

isu22andy

WKR
Picked up one of my first daytime coyotes , real black guy . Called him through a maze of old junk cars and equipment. Looked like he was crawling . 70 yard head shot with the .17hmr .
aba48f2f368b6d959f27ad61ae0f23fc.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
Congrats everyone and nice shot Jordan! I hunted with a friend all day yesterday on ground I hadn't been on before. We only managed one coyote when the wind finally let down at about 5:30. Only saw the one. We had fog, mist, and rain until about 11 when the wind really picked up and pushed it out. Got up past 60 too. Still a bad day hunting is better than most days!

Anyone have any tricks for warm windy days? Other than stay home? We hunted a lot of the thick, out of the wind spots that can produce on cold windy days without much luck. I seem to never have to great of luck when the wind stays over 15 with much higher gusts.

I did pick up another one near my house in a brome field of ours when headed out to feed Friday morning. Got him to stop and look back but he was behind a terrace. I hit him as he ran out from behind it at 250 or so. Used the Savage Hog Hunter with the 53gr V max again. Now up to 7 for 2019

BAKPAKR

WKR
Congrats to all of you successful coyote hunters. This morning, I went out for my four unsuccessful hunt since January 1. I decided I just suck at calling in coyotes. On the other hand, I am pretty good at calling in raptors, songbirds, woodpeckers, ...

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
Congrats to all of you successful coyote hunters. This morning, I went out for my four unsuccessful hunt since January 1. I decided I just suck at calling in coyotes. On the other hand, I am pretty good at calling in raptors, songbirds, woodpeckers, ...

I can call magpies, crows and raptors pretty quickly but no woodpeckers yet!

isu22andy

WKR
Only 4 unsuccessful hunts ? I’ve gone 0 for 6-8-10 I bet . Night time with a full moon and snow is a whole different ball game though .

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
265afdc6c29dfbec12f8cf4b351d4f38.jpg

Just had time to run out and make one stand, took him 15 minutes to commit but he came downwind on a trot. Started with howl, then rabbit distress then pup distress all hand calls.

265afdc6c29dfbec12f8cf4b351d4f38.jpg

Just had time to run out and make one stand, took him 15 minutes to commit but he came downwind on a trot. Started with howl, then rabbit distress then pup distress all hand calls.

Man you're slayin emm. Only had a chance to get out twice this year. Been moving into a new house. Got out at the beginning of the year and missed the first one.. have no clue how.. a month later and im still scratchin my head. However seen several more just couldnt get them to commit.

208HUSHN If you ever want a callin partner hit me up. Im down in Mnt Home. No one i work with hunts.