2019 Initial Ascent Gen II pack review.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say first, with no load. Just putting the frame on the floor and flexing it side to side, like you would if you had the pack on and were turning and looking back while still facing forward. Then let's say at 50 lbs, a typical pack-in load.
I'm off at work until after Easter but I will for sure get you an update after I get home and lay both frames out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say first, with no load. Just putting the frame on the floor and flexing it side to side, like you would if you had the pack on and were turning and looking back while still facing forward. Then let's say at 50 lbs, a typical pack-in load.
I layed the frames out. The duplex frame sheet can be flexed but takes a bit of force and the amount it moves is hardly noticable. The Initial Ascent frame is solid carbon and as such as zero flex. To ME they feel very similar when you cinch them down and look back. While the frame doesn't give your shoulders do have sufficient padding and offset to shift when looking back over your shoulder. I hope that made sense and answered your question.
3182fa364ce44f2a1bdba31193c12e42.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll using this over the next couple days chasing some turkeys. Some are couple miles hikes so when you add in all the extra stuff needed when taking the kids it should make for some interesting loads.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taking the kids turkey hunting equals packing a bunch of stuff for them. Blind, three chairs, decoys, snacks, drinks and snivel gear for everyone. So worth it when they turn and ask "can we do this again tomorrow"?
4e147c3b48f1ba79ff6416e78fbe3bc9.jpg

Back at it tomorrow after brining the kids back home for school. River is really high blocking a bunch of access to my favorite spots

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Technology is truly changing every aspect of our lives. If you would of asked me a few years if I thought I'd be shooting a carbon fiber bow or running a carbon fiber frame on my backpack Id been quick to answer no way. Times have sure changed for the better.
I'm sure a bunch of guys saw the Les review of the Initial Ascent pack and thought will those fame tabs hold up? When I asked the guys at Initial Ascent about the durability of the Integrous frame, Dennis Stokes was quick to point out that this was the 15th generation of design going into this frame with over three years of testing done in various hunting locations.
The triaxial carbon fiber structure combined with additional strategically placed composite materials provides the greatest strength to weight ratio on the market. Well how do you test all that? I'm not really sure so I just loaded it up with 40 lbs of lawn fertilizer and blanket and threw it off a cliff. Rokslide Cliff Test That definitely impressed me to how this pack will hold up well beyond "normal" use.
Initial Ascent is so confident in the Integrous frame that it carries a LIFETIME GUARANTEE. After the Cliff test I picked up the pack dusted it off and loaded up 127 lbs of rock salt (about all I can safely carry) for a three mile ruck trip.
2ab38b55824d6938506405bbf451edb7.jpg
66ebc70e9eaa2f4dd170afcfc9dc042b.jpg

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
After all that I'm confidant that the heart of the 4k pack system has all the durability questions answered. Lets move past all that and get into the pack itself and some of the accessories. The Initial Ascent 4k pack is comprised of a 3600ci pack bag and a 400ci lid.
Here is a few pictures of everything weighted out on a postal scale. Here is the frame belt and shoulder straps 3lbs 14.5oz
94854fc9202a42c01d8b01cae62da5e2.jpg
fefc7009dc759a200b171967de131044.jpg
Pack bag 1lb 13.4oz
42347816135466b32d1e7bfb29f2c70e.jpg
Lid 10oz
39436d674ad8f7d6bfbd480dc4a0e930.jpg
Frame, pack and lid total is 6lbs 3.6 oz on my scale

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll post up all the accessories wieght right here to keep everything together. Belt pouch 3.1oz
336c2037dbd5629e46de61b30ff51e68.jpg
Pannier 11 oz
9ed572fe8f4fefefe73976e610788cc1.jpg
Bow holder 3.1 oz
616d7973d66da7d19ec20facf7da4aa9.jpg
Rifle holder 1.9 oz
2ce325773dd54e58dac59aae2eb163fb.jpg
Large hip belt with lumbar pad 1lb 6.3 oz
a9387845b574f5c8d4e233f39e346dd5.jpg

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using the Initial Ascent pack on a bunch of training hikes and it has a few short trips under its belt already. I will say that the first thing I noticed that was a big change for ME was just the bag size. On my prior pack it had a rather large bag but lacked a load shelf. I know that its been an often debated topic here on Rokslide and I haven't used the load shelf for any animals yet so looking forward to noting the differences for myself and forming my own opinion. I think it has been good for me to try and develop a system where all my essential gear has a home in the pack where in the past I just opened the top and dumped stuff in. I've updated to better compression bags to try and maximize all the 3600ci of pack space. I think as I master the learning curve of packing and utilizing the load shelf to its full potential getting everything I want into and out of the back country won't be an issue.

Stoke_82

FNG
Interesting seems to right along the lines of an exo. Will be watching to see how reviews come in.

@realunlucky Would you please comment on side to side shift/stability when loaded. What I'm thinking here is with 40lbs in the pack and stepping over downfall, how well does the pack stay with your body as opposed to flopping over to one side and pulling you off balance?

I'm also be curious if you could comment a bit more on the flexibility/comfort of the frame. I don't have anything to compare to since I don't own a pack from any of the big manufacturers, but I'm concerned with the stiffness of the IA frame that it might feel like a board strapped to my back. Can you comment on if the frame flexes and moves with your body.

Thanks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
@realunlucky Would you please comment on side to side shift/stability when loaded. What I'm thinking here is with 40lbs in the pack and stepping over downfall, how well does the pack stay with your body as opposed to flopping over to one side and pulling you off balance?

I'm also be curious if you could comment a bit more on the flexibility/comfort of the frame. I don't have anything to compare to since I don't own a pack from any of the big manufacturers, but I'm concerned with the stiffness of the IA frame that it might feel like a board strapped to my back. Can you comment on if the frame flexes and moves with your body.

Thanks!

Honestly I don't think 40lbs would give you any noticable movement. If you saw in the video on each side you have 3 side straps an then a additional two horizontal straps across the pack bag, you can also snug down the wedge bottom and pull the lid down tight for vertical stability. The Initial Ascent pack has ample straps to really secure any load to the frame.

I think everyone is a bit different on the amount felt frame flex. Coming from a military background I've always used a stuff frame system for heavy loads and have always preferred it since. Initial Ascent tells me with the current mix of carbon fiber, strategic placement of composite material, and special resin, the Integrous frame is vertically rigid but can still slightly twist to move with the user. All that engineering stuff is way above my pay grade but I'll try and explain how I think it works.

If you can visualize a upside down triangle balanced on it's point. It can move as easily right or left. The Initial Ascent frame is similar to a lesser extent because the bottom is narrow at the hips and wider in the shoulder area. This allows the frame to pivot with your body. Next thing is the curve of the frame. To me it basically feels like the pack only touches where the belt locks it to your hips and the shoulder blade area where the shoulder straps connect. So while it's solid I don't feel confined by it at all. I hope that made sense and answered your question.