2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Also, if any of you post on IG or FB, tag Rokslide and hashtag is #coldbowchallenge.

(but don't post until you know you got your slot reserved :) if you know what I mean)

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
One question I'm asked about this is "what if the wind is so bad, I can't shoot that day".

This is designed to be like hunting, so pass any shots that you're not good with. Just like we should with an animal. Then wait for better conditions. That's why there's no penalty if you skip a day (or a few days) as long as there's no practice between shots.

If you've never passed a shot while hunting, even at full draw, you might have a real regret coming in your hunting future (don't ask me how I know).

One think I learned from @Aron Snyder was it's OK, and even a skill, to be able to let down.

Seems basic, but unitl he said that, I was surprised how often I'd force a shot that I knew in my mind wasn't good.

What you don't want to do is move closer than your established MER, as that would disqualify you and you'd have to start your five arrows over.

Make sense?

We discussed this last year and decided on this:

*note that practice heads for mechanicals are counted as field points. Shoot your mechanical if you want to qualify for broadhead category

Can you convince me differently? I honestly don't know if the practice heads are exactly like the mechanical. The point of the extra entries for broadheads is to reward the guys who shoot exactly what they'd shoot at an animal. My mind is open.
Oh I’m perfectly fine with that. I appologize, I should have looked into last years to figure that out. The only way I would be okay with it is if the practice heads had the same or more surface area exposed... and that is making this too complicated. Simple is best! Thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I’m perfectly fine with that. I appologize, I should have looked into last years to figure that out. The only way I would be okay with it is if the practice heads had the same or more surface area exposed... and that is making this too complicated. Simple is best! Thanks!
Thanks for your understanding! And no apology needed.

And I can honestly say if it was me, I would want to know for sure how those mechanicals really flew before trusting a practice head to my hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only have 33 yards to shoot at the moment due to this covid mess but bowhunting is about getting close anyway, most of my spots I'm lucky to have that far of a shot and to be perfectly honest I've never shot anything over 30. Does that still count? :ROFLMAO: Definitely sounds like a good trial run for the new strugglestick at least!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Only have 33 yards to shoot at the moment due to this covid mess but bowhunting is about getting close anyway, most of my spots I'm lucky to have that far of a shot and to be perfectly honest I've never shot anything over 30. Does that still count? :ROFLMAO: Definitely sounds like a good trial run for the new strugglestick at least!

Has to be your personal Maximum Effective Yardage. Sounds like that is farther than what you got? Sorry man. If your state allows outdoor exercise, get out there with your bow, exercise while shooting your MER.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I think that's the best way to do it. The spitfire practice blades are a bit different than the actual broadheads. Same with the rage practice heads.

Something like the sevr you can put a screw in and I think that's ok, except it doesn't account for the fact that anything is possible with a mechanical, and they can sometimes open in flight. Especially when they weren't handled probably before the shot.

Just what I needed to know.

On the SEVR, it would count as a broadhead even in practice mode as it’s still what would be shot at an animal.

Thanks BG!!!

Last edited:
Has to be your personal Maximum Effective Yardage. Sounds like that is farther than what you got? Sorry man. If your state allows outdoor exercise, get out there with your bow, exercise while shooting your MER.

All good I figured so, municipal bylaws might count me out of the compound game then unless I go bear hunting before the deadline and my trip somehow lasts 5 days. MER with the stick is still well within the space I have to shoot at the moment so worst case scenario I'll just shoot that!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
All good I figured so, municipal bylaws might count me out of the compound game then unless I go bear hunting before the deadline and my trip somehow lasts 5 days. MER with the stick is still well within the space I have to shoot at the moment so worst case scenario I'll just shoot that!

Ah man, I hate to make it difficult for you, but definitely get in with that trad bow. Every year it seems like I lose s few guys because they can’t all go by the rules that we decided on and I always feel bad, but we really want to stick with the intention of the challenge: pushing people to their MER, putting them under a little pressure, and seeing if they can pull it off.

For those of you that may be new to this challenge, I’ve cut 15 yards off of MER since we started this.
#TheTruthHurts

And I wouldn’t have known I needed to if I didn’t stick to the rules.

Jimbob

WKR

I wondered about shooting in my yard just to be in for the prizes but felt that wasn't really the spirit of the competition, I'm glad you clarified it. I think you should highlight that in the main rules so people don't just get in for the prizes.

It's a bit of a trip to the range just for one arrow but man the spotter is enticing.

Thanks for the great competition.

Thanks for your understanding! And no apology needed.

And I can honestly say if it was me, I would want to know for sure how those mechanicals really flew before trusting a practice head to my hunt.

Ah man, I hate to make it difficult for you, but definitely get in with that trad bow. Every year it seems like I lose s few guys because they can’t all go by the rules that we decided on and I always feel bad, but we really want to stick with the intention of the challenge: pushing people to their MER, putting them under a little pressure, and seeing if they can pull it off.

For those of you that may be new to this challenge, I’ve cut 15 yards off of MER since we started this.
#TheTruthHurts

And I wouldn’t have known I needed to if I didn’t stick to the rules.

funny thing with trad is I can generally shoot better at 30 then I can at 10 with the cold bow shooting. I would say i shoot split vision, sorta, and know my POI is a little past that. So when I do my part i shoot it really well. I need to be full instinctive at short yardage and just focus on back tension, but I catch my selves trying to “aim” and miss bad up and down.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
To get your name in the hat all 5 arrows have to land their mark correct?

No. Misses don’t count against you. The spirit of the competition is to help guys become brutally honest with what their maximum effective range is. Not punish them for a miss. Make sense?