2020 Mathews VXR review, live on the fly!

PMcGee

WKR
I've had the (Original) Halon for a while now and plan to upgrade either in 2020 or 2021. I Just didn't think there was an appreciable enough improvement in any of the bows they've released since the Halon to justify making the switch yet. Maybe this one will do it?

I’m in the same boat. I shot my buddies VXR the other day. Not sure if I like it enough to buy one. Going to shoot it again along with some of the other new bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thx for the review. I shot one of these a couple months ago. I couldn't believe what I was feeling in a "smaller" bow. Big cams helped string angle (ATA) feel and hold great. Im getting one

Awesome read Les!

I shot the flagship bows of BowTech, Prime, Hoyt, and Mathews and it was clear to me the VXR from Mathews took the cake. Absolutely DEAD in your hand leaving your arm floating instead of dropping away. The RX-4 was a slick rig along with the Black 1 and Revolt but just couldn’t get myself away from the VXR. Maybe its because I’ve had a few different Mathews bows over the years or just how the bow shoots but I’m sticking with them in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archer65

Lil-Rokslider
I have a VXR 31.5 and so far it has been a great bow to shoot. I had the Halon 32-6 before as my hunting bow and it worked great nothing bad to say about it, but do find the VXR a little smoother and a little less shock and I like the option of the switch weight system.

mac541

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review Les. Can you please tell me what the makes and models are of your last 5 hunting bows? Thank you.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the review Les. Can you please tell me what the makes and models are of your last 5 hunting bows? Thank you.

VXR 31.5, VXR 28, Traverse, Vertix, and Triax are my last 5 Mathews bows.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m a gear guy. I cycle through lots of gear just to stay on top of the learning curve and keep up to date with what’s available. Yes, I have 2019/2020 bows from a variety of companies. I believe I currently have 11 bows less than 2 years old.

JWAZ

FNG
Great review! I shot the Traverse in 2019 and was wondering about the real world differences not just specs. I appreciate the insight!

Great review! I shot the Traverse in 2019 and was wondering about the real world differences not just specs. I appreciate the insight!
I don't want to answer for Les but I own a Traverse and VXR 31.5 so I can give you my first hand experience. The Traverse is smoother, I think the switchweight cams add a bit of stiffness at the end of the draw cycle that the Traverse just doesn't have. They both hold really well with the slight edge going to the Traverse. I like the more forgiving brace height on the Traverse as well. I will keep both and use them for different purposes, they are both really good hunting bows.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to answer for Les but I own a Traverse and VXR 31.5 so I can give you my first hand experience. The Traverse is smoother, I think the switchweight cams add a bit of stiffness at the end of the draw cycle that the Traverse just doesn't have. They both hold really well with the slight edge going to the Traverse. I like the more forgiving brace height on the Traverse as well. I will keep both and use them for different purposes, they are both really good hunting bows.

All experiences welcome on these threads. Thanks.

zwc94

FNG
My wife surprised me with a VXR 31.5 for my birthday, the kids were in on the deal tricking me into the outfitters shop...wow, super happy. Thanks for the great review. I think I’ll want to get that sling and wrist strap for it from your pics.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My wife surprised me with a VXR 31.5 for my birthday, the kids were in on the deal tricking me into the outfitters shop...wow, super happy. Thanks for the great review. I think I’ll want to get that sling and wrist strap for it from your pics.

Man, what a cool family. You’ve done well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
I’m a gear guy. I cycle through lots of gear just to stay on top of the learning curve and keep up to date with what’s available. Yes, I have 2019/2020 bows from a variety of companies. I believe I currently have 11 bows less than 2 years old.

😳
Wow. I currently have 2 pretty new compounds and was feeling a bit guilty about that. Might have to go pick up a few more now to catch up!

Last edited:

Yooper

WKR

I'm in the market for a new bow as well. I finally had the chance to shoot the VXR 31.5 and the Traverse back to back for about an hour this past weekend. I went in really wanting to love the VXR and I left really loving the Traverse more. Don't get me wrong, they're both very fine bows in their own right, but like the gentleman above posted the Traverse was just a little smoother, a little better brace (for me) and just held better for me. That being said you really can't go wrong with either.