2020 Montana Nonresident Big Game Combination Odds

Hort

FNG
This will be my first attempt to apply for a Montana Nonresident Big Game Combination License. I was thinking on pay the extra $50 for a preference point. Does anyone know how many people applied last year? Does having just one preference point help? I missed out on purchasing other point last September.
What are my odds of getting a license?

Morrid7

FNG
Buying a point now wont count towards this year’s draw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Preference points in MT count in the year they are purchased if purchased prior to the drawing. Bonus points count the following year. See excerpt from http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/all/nonresidentCombo.html:

Applicants may purchase only one preference point per license year. Preference points purchased at the time of application are awarded prior to the drawing.

Regardless, your chances are better than the odds state. Last year, the preference point 75% of the 17000 general elk tags had roughly 60% (or so) odds in the first pass. Then the LE permit pass happened, and many of those general tags were turned back. The turn back tags were then awarded in a second pass to the unsuccessful applicants from the first pass until they hit the 17000 quota.

There were leftover tags to be purchased after the drawings last year, you do the math.

There is also the 25% pure random draw in play.

Jeremy

OP
H

Hort

FNG
This is wild.....so I should buy the pp when I apply, as it may help my chance. If I do not get selected, I should look to see if there are any left over tags available for purchased. When do they come available? Is this a first come first served basis? Is it online, by phone call or otc?

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, get the point, it matters. If you are unsuccessful on the first pass, you may be awarded a turn back tag from the LE draw. That happens at the same time as the first pass and LE. So, you will know then.

Later on, they tally the leftovers that not everyone turned back immediately, or were not awarded, and offer those online first come first served. Keep checking the FWP news to see when they go on sale. Calling them is a better way to get the info you need if you don't draw.

Jeremy

I would buy the point and hope for the best. Everyone that didn’t draw last year will be going into the draw this year with 2 points. They should all draw now, so if you don’t get it, next year you can be sitting closer to first in line.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Odds will probably be better this year because a lot of guys are most likely being told no by the wife for spending that much money on a hunt this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I have mixed feelings on this one. If the draws are affected too much, I might draw too many tags (stupidly unlikely), and not be able to hunt them.

Turning back a good tag would make me sad knowing my odds of ever getting it again will once again be dismal next year.

Jeremy

Shrek

WKR
I’m in ! If there’s a silver lining with the Chinese virus it’s that I probably have a much better chance of drawing.

Before the virus I felt like there would be a lot of folks enter the Montana draw this year. I don't think there will be a big impact from the virus but there will likely be some impact especially for the folks who hold off till the last minute. I know a lot of folks initially downplayed the virus but with 2000 dead already in the US most are waking up to the fact that this is the real deal. The last 1000 deaths happened just over the last 3 days. That is a lot of folks but it made me curious how many die in a day from traffic deaths in the US and the number is almost 3300 a day. So though the virus can be deadly for sure you are way more likely to be killed driving your car.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes, you have greater odds of killing yourself in a car accidents, but that's usually just you. The virus you could potentially kill a thousand by one person infecting ten people, then those ten infecting ten more apiece and so on exponentially. I know I'm not going to apply for Montana this year because I've gotten to work 6 days in the past 8 weeks. A combo tag in Montana is pretty low on my priorities list right now.

I know I'm not going to apply for Montana this year because I've gotten to work 6 days in the past 8 weeks. A combo tag in Montana is pretty low on my priorities list right now.

Sorry to hear that sneaky. So was it the virus that slowed down your work? Will you be getting out to hunt somewhere if not Montana?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sorry to hear that sneaky. So was it the virus that slowed down your work? Will you be getting out to hunt somewhere if not Montana?
Yeah, I had already bought my Sportsman's pack in Idaho so I've got tags for everything. They sent us an internal memo like the 20th of February that parts were being quarantined in port, then they ran an article in the local paper saying they weren't begging affected by the virus. Now we just got another memo saying it may be 3-5 months before parts are gonna arrive. They can't deny that in the papers anymore lol.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I had already bought my Sportsman's pack in Idaho so I've got tags for everything. They sent us an internal memo like the 20th of February that parts were being quarantined in port, then they ran an article in the local paper saying they weren't begging affected by the virus. Now we just got another memo saying it may be 3-5 months before parts are gonna arrive. They can't deny that in the papers anymore lol.

Damn sorry to hear that Sneaky. Crazy times hopefully it's a very brief period and things fire back up quickly.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk