2021 DIY Moose Hunt, Round 2

mooster

WKR
Sights and notes from my 2021 DIY Alaska Moose Hunt. I did this trip in 2020 w/my son, and we were successful in taking a black bear and moose. The report from that trip is in this thread: 2020 Trip w/Son.

In 2021, we used the same basic blue print as 2020, I just went with a friend this time. We had the same plan as before, arrive Fairbanks (FAI), grab a rental truck, license & tags, head up the haul road (Dalton Hwy) to Deadhorse for a few days, then return to FAI to fly into the field for our moose hunt.

As were DIY, we carried all our own gear as checked luggage:
IMG_1188.JPG

We did take one diversion, we crossed the Dietrich and hiked into Gates of the Artic NP to check off my 31st National Park visit! Plenty of bears and berries along the way.

IMG_1243.JPG

2020 was a crazy year due to COVID testing requirements and travel concerns. This past year was also crazy in terms of a surge in tourism, lack of hotels & rental cars. I thought I was smart and had booked our truck rental early, only to find out at the last minute our rental wouldn’t be available (it had been wrecked, and the agency didn’t have another vehicle). Luckily, we found a plan B, and head out from FAI to Deadhorse w/an overnight in Coldfoot on the way.

We had a miserable ride into Coldfoot, having basically left our homes 23 hours prior. Driving w/no sleep on the haul roads horrible broken pavement & muddy surfaces in driving rain was no fun. We did manage to see a few cow & calf moose on the way. Overnighted at the Coldfoot Camp before continuing up the next morning to Deadhorse. They still take COVID seriously in Deadhorse:

IMG_1348.JPG

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
We planned to fish & bou hunt a few days, so stayed in Deadhorse two nights. Really this part of the trip was research for a future caribou specific hunt. Last year we only went as far N as Happy Valley, and the caribou were sparse. This year, we committed to go all the way to Deadhorse. We found scattered caribou and small groups w/in 45 minutes of Deadhorse. Saw grizzly, musk ox, wolverine over the next two days. Didn't release an arrow, but really that was by choice.

bou 50.png
I stalked some nice bulls, but the limited cover is a challenge. I think had I committed a week to the bou, I would have taken one. There is cover along the Sag, so if you found a bou on that side of the hwy, you had something to hide in. But, there were lots of hunters camping and hunting that side. So if you saw a bull on that side, usually you also saw a hunter not far from it. It seemed if you crossed the Sag, you'd be pressure free.

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1457.PNG
    IMG_1457.PNG
    568 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
So after a couple days, enjoyed the long ride to return to Fairbanks

IMG_1514.JPG
wash & return our rental, to organize gear for our air taxi ride the next day into moose country.
IMG_1597.JPG

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
Arrived at no name lake. A bit surprised as we didn't see any moose on the way in, and the ducks were few compared to last year. Carved out a good camp site, and set up for calling. Weather was a bit warm.

IMG_1645 50.jpg

IMG_1647.JPG

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
Saw moose the first evening, so were very excited about our hunt. First morning we spot a cow and a couple bulls across the lake.
IMG_4307.JPG
We elect to pass on the bigger bull as we thought he was close to 50", but we didn't want to risk him being undersize as he only had two brows. We were in a 4 brow, 50" unit.
IMG_1662.JPG

Didn't see anything else that morning. My buddy and I had agreed that shooting honors were based on who spotted an animal first. Well woudn't you know it, while I napped in my camp
Chair after lunch, my buddy spots what is obviously a very large bull across the lake again. Have to wonder if my buddy keeping me up all night with his snoring was a keen hunting strategy!

We load up the SS Moose Mistress (Alpacka Mule) and head over to get a closer look.

Last edited:
OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
Well he looks 60", but only has 3 brows. Its a scary thing pulling the trigger on an animal w/out the 4 brows, so we debate it quite a bit. The bull is with a cow, about 200 yards away. Use some light grunts and flashed our yak paddles (white), and he came in on a string. He walks the edge of the lake and gets probably 50-60 yards from us. Three rounds from my buddies .300 WM and we have our bull down.

IMG_1684 small.JPG

Its his 1st bull, and we're estatic. What a beast! Over 60" and heavy mass! Well you know the saying about the work begins...

IMG_1703 small.JPG

We cut & bag all day. Then use the Alpacka's to make two trips back to camp across the lake.

IMG_1711 small.JPG

Here's me rowing the moose back to camp, not sure how to post a video:

Last edited:
OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
So we celebrate w/moose steaks the next night. We have camp meat, so now on to what I hope is a moose for me. I've now guided my son and friend to moose, but yet to take an Alaskan moose yet myself.

We see 9 bulls over the first three days of hunting. Call them to camp, some even multiple times. We heard this guy grunting in the woodline as we rowed by. Called him out and had him in bow range, but despite his apparent advanced age, he didn't meet the 4 brow, 50" minimum.

IMG_1790.JPG

Here he is later in camp that evening. He was one love sick puppy. Called him in the next day also.

Last edited:
OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
So I had the foresight to bring a trail camera along with us. I set it up on the carcass of my buddies' kill. One day we see something in the water about 3/4 mile up the lake. It was the head of a grizzly swimming. He proceeds to swim & walk about a mile across the lake to get to the kill site.. Luckily we had the camera there to grab a couple pictures of him.

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

We gave it a couple days for the bear to leave, and then retrieved the camera. He had flattened the sight, and covered the carcass completely.

IMG_2003 small.JPG

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
Well we hunted hard the rest of the trip, but seems the grizzly scared off our moose. Before Mr. Griz showed up, I did have a small, maybe 30-40" bull with 4 brows come to calling at camp. He was legal, but not quite what I was looking for. we did see a lone cow at the opposite end of the lake the last evening, but no more bulls.

So I've learned apparently I'm meant to be the guide, not the hunter. I've enjoyed my two trips and feel as if I myself harvested an animal even though I really didn't. I'll have plenty to dream about as I plan for next hunt. Meanwhile, we enjoyed the bounty of Alaska for the rest of our trip. What a place. Can't wait until September!

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_2044.jpg

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Well we hunted hard the rest of the trip, but seems the grizzly scared off our moose. Before Mr. Griz showed up, I did have a small, maybe 30-40" bull with 4 brows come to calling at camp. He was legal, but not quite what I was looking for. we did see a lone cow at the opposite end of the lake the last evening, but no more bulls.

So I've learned apparently I'm meant to be the guide, not the hunter. I've enjoyed my two trips and feel as if I myself harvested an animal even though I really didn't. I'll have plenty to dream about as I plan for next hunt. Meanwhile, we enjoyed the bounty of Alaska for the rest of our trip. What a place. Can't wait until September!

View attachment 366987

View attachment 366986
Appreciate the recap and pictures! Thanks for sharing.